MPEG4 HD DVR and Home Media Center news:

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Sorry if this has been answered elsewhere. I searched and couldn't find anything. Regarding the HMC... I'm a little confused about how the streaming will work. I already have an Ethernet CAT-5 network set up in my house which goes to my entertainment room. But I keep reading about the HMC using coax.

I'm assuming the HMC will have 2 coax cables going into it for dual tuner SAT and 1 coax cable for OTA (just like the HR10-250).

My question is... will I need to run a separate (4th) coax wire to the HMC for streaming? (going directly from the server to the client) Or will it use the coax cables already going to it from my multiswitch?

If the latter, I guess I don't understand this set up. Because it would require the streaming signal to go back out of the server, through the multiswitch and back into a client for viewing. All of this over a wire that is also used by the server for SAT input.

Can anyone shed light on this. I'm a novice in this area and just want to understand it. Just wondering if there is any wiring work I can do now to prepare for the HMC. Thanks.

Brian

breevesdc said:
Sorry if this has been answered elsewhere. I searched and couldn't find anything. Regarding the HMC... I'm a little confused about how the streaming will work. I already have an Ethernet CAT-5 network set up in my house which goes to my entertainment room. But I keep reading about the HMC using coax.

I'm assuming the HMC will have 2 coax cables going into it for dual tuner SAT and 1 coax cable for OTA (just like the HR10-250).

My question is... will I need to run a separate (4th) coax wire to the HMC for streaming? (going directly from the server to the client) Or will it use the coax cables already going to it from my multiswitch?

If the latter, I guess I don't understand this set up. Because it would require the streaming signal to go back out of the server, through the multiswitch and back into a client for viewing. All of this over a wire that is also used by the server for SAT input.

Can anyone shed light on this. I'm a novice in this area and just want to understand it. Just wondering if there is any wiring work I can do now to prepare for the HMC. Thanks.

Brian

The HMC will support connections to several different types of networks. First you can connect to your personal home network via a wireless network card and/or a wired ethernet connection. This will serve as you phone line connection for the whole house along with the ability to playback music, photes and videos from your computer.

The HMC will also allow the client boxes to play back anything from the server over the existing coax cables via a new multiswitch. This will be the only way to playback shows on other client boxes from the server. You don't need a computer nor a router for the client boxes to playback from the server just so you know.

So in your case when you get the HMC installed you will also have a new multiswitch installed as well. Once this is done the installer will connect you to a wireless network or wired network if you have one. They will not install an ethernet jack for free but your specific installer could choose to install one for you at a cost. If you have an ethernet jack close to the box you can just plug it in. The installer will also configure a wireless card for you as DHCP but its your job to setup any security settings or custom settings you might require. The installer will also not be allowed to touch your router. Besides the multiswitch the installer cannot install anything else unless you provide it. This means you must buy a wireless card and the tech can only install it without security and with DHCP by default. If you want it setup with WPA and a static IP you must do this yourself as the installer won't do this. Now your installer can do this at a cost to you but keep in mind that the installers will not be trained on how to do custom wireless card configurations and as such it will be your risk to take.

I hope this gives you some insight and if you have any additional questions please feel free to ask away.

Edit...also it seems that the server will need 4 (four) cables connected to it from the multiswitch. The HMC will be using software from Ucentric and if you saw the demos of the Voom multiroom HD DVR product that software was from Ucentric. Now the Voom HD DVR will be different than the DirecTV Home Media Center but it will work the same for the most part. Also the cables can without a doubt handle all of this as long as the new multiswitch is present to direct all the traffic so to speak.

Thanks LonghornXP. It's good to know (and it makes sense) that the overwhelming majority of customers opting for an HMC will not need any new wiring. I guess in this kind of setup the new multiswitch would also act as a network switch.

Brian

Longhorn, I have a question that i need answered badly.

i am "moved" to chicago, and live in green bay WI.

i want to buy an R15 DVR (dont currently have a DVR) but i dont want to commit for 2 yrs of service if i cant get the locals in HD when they make them available cuz im "moved"

any suggestions?

breevesdc said:
Thanks LonghornXP. It's good to know (and it makes sense) that the overwhelming majority of customers opting for an HMC will not need any new wiring. I guess in this kind of setup the new multiswitch would also act as a network switch.
Brian
Hmmm... It the HMC requires 4 :eek: coax feeds from the switch, the new setup would require new wires, unless HMC can be left in a closet/attic. I don't understand why D* can't put all switching/tuning logic into a switch and have only 1 coax run from the switch to every receiver and HMC. HMC can easily record/receive and feed clients over 1 coax.

The four cables connecting from the multiswitch to the server does not thrill me. Very low spousal approval factor.

What is the latest rumors for the cost of HD-Tivo owners upgrading to the HMC? If D* offers a $250.00 credit on a $20.00/month leased unit, they can forget it. I would think around $200.00 to upgrade to HMC (purchase not lease) and we trade in our HD-Tivo's. Of course, this will probably not happen.

Scott

I'm not doubting LonghornXP's information. But I can't imagine *why* this unit would need 4 coax cables. If it turns out to be correct, that is only 1 more connection than the HR10-250. I'm just wondering what the 4th coax is for.

1 - for sat tuner 1
1 - for sat tuner 2
1 - for OTA tuner
1 - for ???

But we'll just have to wait and see. Maybe the 4th coax connection is for the streaming feed back to the multiswitch (to send content to the clients). Also, I assume that the clients will only need 1 coax feed from the multiswitch.

Hopefully, the schedule will hold and we will all know in 5 months.

Brian

breevesdc said:
I'm not doubting LonghornXP's information. But I can't imagine *why* this unit would need 4 coax cables. If it turns out to be correct, that is only 1 more connection than the HR10-250. I'm just wondering what the 4th coax is for.

You don't have much of an imagination, do you?
It has 4 tuners inside, not 2.

loudo said:
Longhorn, I have a question that i need answered badly.

i am "moved" to chicago, and live in green bay WI.

i want to buy an R15 DVR (dont currently have a DVR) but i dont want to commit for 2 yrs of service if i cant get the locals in HD when they make them available cuz im "moved"

any suggestions?

Sorry but you can't get out of the 2 year contract unless you send back the hardware or pay the cancellation fees. This applies to all HD boxes and all DVR boxes.

mammothskier said:
Hmmm... It the HMC requires 4 :eek: coax feeds from the switch, the new setup would require new wires, unless HMC can be left in a closet/attic. I don't understand why D* can't put all switching/tuning logic into a switch and have only 1 coax run from the switch to every receiver and HMC. HMC can easily record/receive and feed clients over 1 coax.

I know its a pain but the server would require four seperate cable runs from the multiswitch. The other rooms with the client boxes can use the same cable thats in the room today. Granted the client boxes still need the cable plugged into the multiswitch.

I've asked them why they couldn't put the multiswitch inside the box itself and they just said that heat issues prevented this. They did say that the second generation HMC will have a built-in multiswitch to split the one cable run into four feeds. This would still require the same multiswitch outside of the box as well. But for now this is what they have and its not pretty. How about those who want two servers and need to have eight cable runs to the same location. That my friend isn't pretty.

Scott R. Scherr said:
The four cables connecting from the multiswitch to the server does not thrill me. Very low spousal approval factor.

What is the latest rumors for the cost of HD-Tivo owners upgrading to the HMC? If D* offers a $250.00 credit on a $20.00/month leased unit, they can forget it. I would think around $200.00 to upgrade to HMC (purchase not lease) and we trade in our HD-Tivo's. Of course, this will probably not happen.

Scott

Last I've heard is if you trade-in your HD Tivo for the new HMC you would have two options. First you would find out how much it would cost an existing customer to buy without a trade-in both the new HD DVR and the HMC. Lets say in this example the HD DVR costs 500 bucks while the HMC costs 750 bucks. Because your HDTivo will be replaced free of charge with the HD DVR that will give you a 500 dollar replacement allowance. So you would endup paying the difference between the two products. In this case if you traded in your HD Tivo for the HMC at the prices above you would have to pay 250 bucks. Once you pay that cost you own the box outright without rental fees.

Your second option from what I hear would be a discount on the rental charge for your first two years. That cost should be half or better of the going rental rate.

Also in case anyone wanted to know I've been told that D* will be renting all new HD hardware but once you finish your two year agreement you will own the box. So you are pretty much renting to own but as new products come out you can rent those new products the sameway but you can't tradein you old box even if you own it to get a discount on the new rental product.

Just so you know rental pricing for HD boxes and the HD DVR will start after the first of the year. It also seems that the HD DVR will be out before the end of January.

then buying an r15 is a waste now IF th hd dvr is available by jan 2006

so will their be a trade invalue for us r15 guys ?

moqz1001 said:
then buying an r15 is a waste now IF th hd dvr is available by jan 2006

so will their be a trade invalue for us r15 guys ?

Is the r15 the new plus DVR and if so I haven't been told one way or the other if you can trade in and what amount if you could. Sorry!

also

Directv is starting price equipment and etc out of range for every day folks,

I mean paying for the boxes to get the service they want to sell me is a bit stupid

we buy our own tv's cause we all have diffrent tastes and budgets

and then can watch ota with them, a telco, directv, dish, cable or usdtv

so when a non ota company wants us to use the service/buy the programming then by gosh they stb should be included/figured into monthly prices....

not as an extra

moqz1001 said:
Directv is starting price equipment and etc out of range for every day folks,

I mean paying for the boxes to get the service they want to sell me is a bit stupid

we buy our own tv's cause we all have diffrent tastes and budgets

and then can watch ota with them, a telco, directv, dish, cable or usdtv

so when a non ota company wants us to use the service/buy the programming then by gosh they stb should be included/figured into monthly prices....

not as an extra

You CAN get regular receivers for free. The DVR and HD is all a choice.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)