Status
Please reply by conversation.

ncted

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Jul 4, 2004
Durham, NC
Has anyone been able to determine if the MPEG4 HD Locals are HDLite? Just curious as it is a moot point for me. I cannot receive OTA locals reliably, and TWC seems to have HDLited their all their HD offerings in my area.

Thanks,
Ted

Hard to tell with all the stuttering, pixelation, and other technical problems many markets are getting.

Questioner said:
Hard to tell with all the stuttering, pixelation, and other technical problems many markets are getting.

Although there are only two channels in the Hartford CT area so far, I have had no issues with their reception.

Questioner said:

I dont think this has any base at all, and you are speaking for more markets then you currently recieve, please only make comments which you know are fact, thanks.oh and cleveland markets look just as good as my OTa/cable (both are full bandwidth!)

My locals in the Tampa market look good but they have a strange cinematic kind of motion at times. I can't quite put my finger on what it is but something looks a little bit off compared to OTA.

Questioner said:

What market are you in?
My locals have been solid since day one proof that MPEG-4 will work and work well. I also heard that some of the problems can be at the local level I am not letting D* off the hook as they need to work with them to get all the equipment working together.;)

Last edited:
It is well know that D* is having problems with the 1080i channels and the MPEG4 encoders. This is casuing the stuttering, pixelation, and other technical problems many markets are getting. If your city doesnt have this problem consider yourself luck, most markets are having this problem.

dgordo said:
It is well know that D* is having problems with the 1080i channels and the MPEG4 encoders. This is casuing the stuttering, pixelation, and other technical problems many markets are getting. If your city doesnt have this problem consider yourself luck, most markets are having this problem.

I guess I can consider myself lucky. My question is where is the information you are quoting that "most markets are having this problem" coming from. Is there a statiscal reference you are aware of? Or is this simply your opinion?

It is coming from D*. The markets I can remember of the top of my head that are having this problem are Chicago, Boston, Miami, Atlanta, NY, Detroit, Hartford, Kansas City and Baltimore.

Last edited:
Mtnmike said:
I guess I can consider myself lucky. My question is where is the information you are quoting that "most markets are having this problem" coming from. Is there a statiscal reference you are aware of? Or is this simply your opinion?

lol....if it came down to it, one could find posts for every single HD-LIL market, D* and E*, using MPEG4 where several posters complain of the quality. It's usually those with EDTVs or TVs incapable of true 1080 resolution that people are happy with the picture - the closer to true 1920x1080, the worse it looks.

dgordo said:
It is coming from D*. The markets I can remember of the top of my head that are having this problem are Chicago, Boston, Miami, Atlanta, NY, Detroit, Hartford, Kansas City and Baltimore.
I thinkyou are refering to cities that HAVE had trouble.
I know guy's in Detroit were originally having trouble, when it all got started, remember they were first to get it.
I have not heard of many complaints from that area concerning MPEG4 in quite awhile.
If your in these areas and having trouble or trouble has cleared up please respond.

Jimbo

Hartford looked fine. Boston CBS looks pretty bad the rest are now fine. CBS pixelation is better (still has issues) but the frame rate is horrible.

Seems pretty good in Chicago....dont see much stuttering on CBS or NBC...

The best HD I have seen on D* has been on CSI (Vegas one) and Jay Leno....both in 1080i...so if they can get better, GREAT!!

I still think they are not as good as OTA, but from what I can tell, better than MPEG2 outfits like ESPN, TNT, etc...

Now if we could just get Comcast SportsNet in HD, as well as the CW and/or WGN would be happy.....

Oh, and while I dont watch, Young & The Restless is great HD....almost reference quailty....shame all cant be that way...

The #1 TV rated news station in the #12 Nielsen Market in America took on D* 2 weeks ago because of customer complaints about the problem with the MPEG4 HD-LIL. Despite what many here have tried to convince you, you can watch the newscast which shows the problems and decide for yourself if they are real or not.

http://www.tbo.com/video/xml/MGBN6UPBZRE.html

Unlike Phillips crappy interview, errr PR piece for D* last week under the guise of an interview, this TV station did catch D* talking out both sides of their mouth and called them on it.

They asked anyone having trouble with the new HD D* service to fill out a form on their website. And that's when the complaints started coming in.

Tonight, 2 weeks later, they followed up with more customers with the same "rare problem" according to D*.

It also seems that D* was trying the good old AOL trick of holding you hostage to the contract, even when they could not deliver the proper service - so the TV station is helping customers get their money back because the HD local service is unusable.

Hopefully that will be available on the website soon as well.

And Phillip, maybe you will watch and learn something about how to be a journalist instead of a notetaker/PR Agent.

HDTVFanAtic said:
Despite what many here have tried to convince you, you can watch the newscast which shows the problems and decide for yourself if they are real or not.

How about I watch my TV and decide if they are real or not. For you they may be real for many of us they are not.

HDTVFanAtic said:
The #1 TV rated news station in the #12 Nielsen Market in America took on D* 2 weeks ago because of customer complaints about the problem with the MPEG4 HD-LIL. Despite what many here have tried to convince you, you can watch the newscast which shows the problems and decide for yourself if they are real or not.

http://www.tbo.com/video/xml/MGBN6UPBZRE.html

Unlike Phillips crappy interview, errr PR piece for D* last week under the guise of an interview, this TV station did catch D* talking out both sides of their mouth and called them on it.

They asked anyone having trouble with the new HD D* service to fill out a form on their website. And that's when the complaints started coming in.

Tonight, 2 weeks later, they followed up with more customers with the same "rare problem" according to D*.

It also seems that D* was trying the good old AOL trick of holding you hostage to the contract, even when they could not deliver the proper service - so the TV station is helping customers get their money back because the HD local service is unusable.

Hopefully that will be available on the website soon as well.

And Phillip, maybe you will watch and learn something about how to be a journalist instead of a notetaker/PR Agent.

So what city are you talking about, you said # 12, but did not mention who was # 12

Jimbo

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts