Mr. Robot (USA)

It looked like it would be better buy started slow and picked up a bit but still seems very off!! :)

How Did a Show Like Mr. Robot End Up on USA? http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat/2015/08/28/how_mr_robot_landed_on_usa.html
This article originally appeared in New York magazine.Here’s one big mystery that won’t be resolved by the season-one finale of Mr. Robot, set to air next Wednesday: How in Monk’s name did a show so complex, twisted—and critically acclaimed—end up on USA Network? The cable giant has been cranking out summer hits for more than a decade, but starting with the aforementioned Tony Shalhoub vehicle and continuing with series such as Psych, Covert Affairs, and the still-chugging Royal Pains, those successes have mostly been popcorn procedurals, the video equivalent of beach reading. Mr. Robot, by contrast,may be TV’s most beautifully byzantine mystery-thriller since the first season of Lost, a show that encourages its audience to debate subtext and obsess over detail. It’s all very much off-brand for USA, and as execs at the network see it, that is exactly the point.Officially, Mr. Robot came to life at USA a year ago, last summer, when network president Chris McCumber gave creator Sam Esmail the green light to begin casting and filming a pilot episode. McCumber, who credits USA development chief Alex Sepiol for “unearthing the project and putting it in front of” him, says he and his team were sold on the idea as soon as they read the script. “We realized we had a very, very unique show, which, if executed the right way, could be like nothing else on television,” he says. And yet, Esmail’s idea likely would never have gotten very far at USA had McCumber and his bosses not decided many months earlier that the network needed to shake up what had long been a winning formula for it. “We’ve been going through an evolution of our brand for a little while now,” the exec says. While USA has maintained a strong position relative to its competition—it finished 2014 as the most-watched general-entertainment cable channel—the network has suffered the same audience erosion plaguing most big, established cable networks: Viewership at USA fell more than 20 percent last year.

I read that article yesterday. I don't get the part about 'critically acclaimed'. I'm still watching it but it is sure not towards the top of my list of summer favorites.

Reactions: whitewolf8214
In Live+3, the finale rose to 1.9 million viewers and 602,000 adults 18-49. While in total viewers that was almost on par with that week’s performance of USA other new summer drama, breakout Mr. Robot (2.2 million in L3), in 18-49, Complications trailed Mr. Robot — already renewed for a second season — 600,000 to 1.2 million. Both rookie series are part of USA’s current push into edgier fare.In addition to Mr. Robot, its companion, Suits, also has been renewed for next season. https://www.yahoo.com/tv/s/complications-cancelled-usa-one-season-214520420.html

'Mr. Robot': Sam Esmail Dissects Four Finale Moments and the Movies That Inspired Them https://www.yahoo.com/tv/mr-robot-sam-esmail-dissects-four-finale-128209661760.html
Before it became an acclaimed summer hit for USA, Mr. Robotwas a feature film script buried inside the mind of Sam Esmail. “I wrote it with the intention of making it as an independent film,” the New Jersey-born writer/director told Yahoo TV before the show’s premiere in June. “The first season is really the first act of what the feature would been — it’s ending where I’d want the first 30 pages of the film to end.”Based on what we saw in the Sept. 2 season finale, that would have been a killer 30 pages. During the course of its 10-episode run, Mr. Robot continuously defied audience expectations, routinely shaking up what we knew — or thought we knew — about the main character, Elliot (Rami Malek), not to mention reality itself. Elliot’s already-fractured mind splintered further over the course of this hour as he sought to locate vanished Evil Corp executive Tyrell (Martin Wallstrom), even as their hack threatened to destabilize both that omnipresent corporation and the world’s economy.Even though Mr. Robot ultimately went the television route, its creator made a point of folding numerous cinematic homages into the series, overtly and subtly referencing the work of such filmmakers as Stanley Kubrick, David Fincher, and Paul Thomas Anderson. Far from simply repurposing familiar big screen imagery, he recontextualized these allusions in a way that made them seem excitingly new. Eager-eyed film buffs probably noticed that the finale featured four particular sequences — including the scene that led the finale to be delayed a week from its original airdate — that echoed four specific films. Yahoo TV spoke with Esmail about these moments and the movies that inspired them. [Warning: Spoilers for the finale follow.]

Meh, the season finale just left me confused. I'll watch next season but I'll probably wait until the season is over and binge watch. There is other stuff I'd rather watch first.

I didn't really get the ending except that I took from the final scenes that the 1 % were still in place and doing just fine. The average person was screwed if they had savings, pensions, stocks. So the F-Society damaged the whole world economy ,but everyone's debts were wiped out.

I have been following since the beginning, but this season is just...too focused on Elliot's hallucinations about his father. It is getting just too surreal for my tastes. Foxhat had it right about attention to detail and the technological realities that mirror real life. I'd rather it get more into the social implications of the struggle between the establishment and the hackers, not about one person's drug-induced paranoia.

Watched all of season 2 the last few evenings and I am no less confused then after the end of season 1. :coco I think they are trying to hard to be weird.

Reactions: dare2be
Surprised no discussion of Season 3. I was put off by Season 2 but I'm half way through Season 3 and the story is much improved IMO. They seem to be no longer trying to be way out there. Some back story filled in. I do think the picture is awful. Way soft and washed out. Noir I suppose is the artistic effect they are going for. If anyone has had this tucked away on their DVR as I have it is improved.

I thought I was going to tackle it over Christmas break but there were other items to watch and other things to do. Maybe if I cut back on my SatGuys time... Nah!!!

Finished watching Season 4 this week. I thought season 1 showed a lot of promise. Maybe just because it was unique. Now I mostly wish I could get all those hours back. :confused:

I know there are a lot of mixed reactions to this season, but I really liked the finale. My first thought as the credits rolled was friggin' genius! That's really up there with the all-time best season finales, IMO. Everything came together. Esmail even had me going there for a minute, thinking he had jumped the shark with Elliot apparently getting a second chance in some kind of parallel universe (I should've known better. lol) I'm not saying the entire series or final season was perfect, but overall I very much enjoyed it, to the point I would rewatch the entire series again (which I rarely do).

Reactions: norman881
I know there are a lot of mixed reactions to this season, but I really liked the finale. My first thought as the credits rolled was friggin' genius! That's really up there with the all-time best season finales, IMO. Everything came together. Esmail even had me going there for a minute, thinking he had jumped the shark with Elliot apparently getting a second chance in some kind of parallel universe (I should've known better. lol) I'm not saying the entire series or final season was perfect, but overall I very much enjoyed it, to the point I would rewatch the entire series again (which I rarely do).

Glad somebody enjoyed it. :thumbup

I too was cringing at the thought of the parallel universe.

Esmail said his goal was to make people watch all 4 seasons again to notice the tells of the story. I did and caught lots of things that I did not see the first time.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts