MRV and gaming adapter

Status
Please reply by conversation.

gadgtfreek

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
May 29, 2006
Lower Alabama
Since MRV isnt going to work with powerline adapters, for the most part, is anyone using a gaming adapter wirelessly at each HDDVR and working it that way. I ordered a wireless BR player so I do not need the powerline adapters anymore and could convert over.

TIA

We have one HR20-700 and one HR22-100 connected with the powerline adapters and they both work great with no problems. When watching with mvr you can not tell the program is coming from the other receiver.

I had a netgear gigabyte powerline adapter and while it worked ok for SD for MRV, it sucked for HD over MRV.

So I bought this Ethernet bridge from BestBuy.

Linksys - Dual-Band Wireless-N Ethernet Bridge - WET610N

The HR2x boxes have built in support for the Linksys WET610N which make hooking it up easy. I didn't have to set the adapter up for my network before I hooked it up to my HR22. In the DVR setup screen I choose wireless for the network setup and after a few minutes it popped up the available wireless networks and once I picked mine, I used the remote to key in my wireless network password and I was good to go.

All I did after this was reset my HR22 since the MRV doesn't do well with reconnecting to the other DVR when the connection goes down and comes back up. Hopefully that will get fix in the future. I'm still on the release that initially took MRV to public beta. I haven't gotten the one that was just released last week.

My HR20 is in my living room and wired directly to my router using CAT5. The router is in the den. My HR22 is in my bedroom upstairs and is connected via the wireless N Ethernet bridge. SD and MPEG4 HD works just fine with smooth playback although the trick play can lag some. However, OTA MPEG2 recorded on my HR22 doesn't work well. It's very jumpy and sometimes won't play at all. And if it won't start playing something gets fouled up and then I usually have to restart both receivers to get MRV working again. So I avoid the MPEG2 HD which are much bigger files than the MPEG4 HD.

I record OTA MPEG2 in my bedroom because for the time being I only have one sat tuner activate on my bedroom HR22. But with the OTA input the OTA signal is split internally, therefore 2 OTA tuners can be active at the same time or one OTA tuner and one sat tuner at the same time. So all of my local network recordings are done OTA. Come the middle of May when my college age sister in law moves out, I will move one of the two cables going to that DVR to my HR22 so I can have 2 sat tuners active in my bedroom. Because of my 3 older R15s, I don't have a SWM setup.

I tried both powerline (85 Mbps) and wireless-N. The powerline worked for SD but was very jerky for HD. The RF path between the WET610N adapter and my Linksys N router wasn't good enough for the wireless to work at all (media share music was even flakey). I installed MoCA adapters on my OTA lines and that works great for MRV and Media Share. Since DECA uses similar technology (but is compatible with the satellite cables) it should work great also (when it becomes available).

I have two HR21-700 receivers and both are connected wirelessly via the Linksys WET620N. MRV is not working very well at all however downloading On Demand content over the Internet works flawlessly. With MRV the receivers don't see each other consistently, I receive errors when attempting to start playing a recording and connectivity frequently stops midway through playbacks. However, I just noticed both receivers are running software updated in January and (according to a note here) DirecTV has just published a update. Hopefully my receivers will get the update soon and MRV performance will improve.

They have said it will. My powerlines work find for DoD, I just don't wanna invest $200 on something that wont work.

All of this is entirely environmental. In some homes the cheaper powerline will work while the more expensive wireless wont. Other homes, vice versa.

Whatever you buy, get it somewhere that has an easy and free return policy with no restocking fee. You'll have a good excuse: not one of these products will ever reach anywhere near the advertised speed they print on the box.

Theres quite a bit of variability within similar spec products as well. One guys "200Mb/s homeplug AV" might work a whole lot better than someone elses. One guys wireless N will be 10x faster throughput wise than a similar spec product.

Dont waste a lot of extra money on the 'gigabit powerline' either. Those guys like to get you looking at the 200Mb/s powerline max throughput on one side and the measly 100Mb/s ethernet connection on the other side. Its exactly the same as the regular 200Mb/s powerline product only with a gigabit ethernet connection. Since the actual throughput of these boxes is in the 10-30Mb/s range, you're not going to get anything special from the gigabit port.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)