MS Vista Update Bug. (Update kills sound)

TNGTony

Unashamed Bengal Fan
Original poster
Sep 7, 2003
Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
I have been trying to find the proper place to report this MS update issue but have been unable to see anywhere I can just report this bug. So just in case it affects any other members here is the problem I just discovered.

Update for Windows Vista for x64-based Systems (KB957388)

Update type: Important
Install this update to resolve a set of known application compatibility issues with Windows Vista. After you install this item, you may have to restart your computer. This update is provided to you and licensed under the Windows Vista License Terms.

This update killed audio on my computer. The computer's shortcut key showed audio as muted. Pushing the button to unmute it made the computer SHOW it was unmuted but sound would still not work. Devise manager and all other settings showed everything was fine and working, but still no sound. On a hunch, I uninstalled the KB95738 update. Sound worked the instant to computer restarts.

This occurred on an HP DV7-1130us Pavilion Laptop only 3 weeks out of the box and very few modifications.

I'm certain this is a limited issue, but I'm sure I'm not the only one affected by this.

See ya
Tony

Tony, I now have two Vista 64 systems, a Dell Laptop and a HP desktop. Neither were affected by the update. Can you revert the computer to the last known state before the update? I have both systems set to auto update so I'm sure both are current with all updates.

Check to see if you have more than one audio device. Some computers now more than one on different chipsets and it could have enabled the wrong one. I have this with the motherboard vs the graphics card (HDMI).

With it being as new as it is, I'd contact HP. You'll get farther with them than with Microsoft. They've got the clout to get a fix.

Thanks all. I was able to revert the laptop and keep all the other updates that came down except for the one listed above. I reported this issue to HP and Microsloth for whatever good it will do. I just hope that this thread will help some other folks that may run across this issue.

The laptop is working great now.

See ya
Tony

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)