msg and msg+ wil they give in

I like how they state as fact that Dish has exited the RSN market in NY. Yes that appears to be true but apparently spurred by disputes such as this. Dish has never made any statement that I am aware of that this was part of some programming strategy. I liked the comment that said the common denominator in these disputes is MSG and also I like the way they totally ducked the question of when their deals with Fios and DirecTv expire. This concept of only wanting the carriers to pay what they feel is a fair value for their content is the biggest line of BS you'll ever hear.

I think you are correct if I follow you. Dish did talk about not carrying any of the RSN's in NY as a business decision. But not for any reason other than the high cost of carrying them. They refused to pass the cost on to all it's customers which would have happened.
With the revelation that Direct is now adding fees to certain areas where the cost of RSN's is high may mean Dish will negotiate the return of the NY RSN's and also charge a fee. This is being discussed in other threads. Those who do not watch the RSN's at all are not going to be happy with Direct when their bill goes up apparently $2 on top of the recent price hikes.
But this will not be resolved until the RSN's are a separate package. Remember, Dish offered MSG to charge whatever it wanted to, as long as it was not in the regular packages... MSG declined.

Mike Baer (SP?) on WFAN claiming TWC is their only dispute. Stated "We were on DISH Network, now we're no longer on there". Francessa then says, "So this is your only dispute?" Baer: "Yes." Baer, who denied TWC numbers alleged, then says they were only asking a little more than other networks are paying. States "Only other dispute, other than with DISH which is a completely different matter, was with TWC in 2005."

Lmao.... I guess if you aren't negotiating in good faith there is no dispute. Slimy, very slimy.

Francessa later talking with a caller who laments not getting MSG on TWC. Francessa asks if he has access to satellite, caller states his building is DISH. Francessa states, "DISH basically got out of the sports business." During the overall discussion with callers Francessa says "DirecTv never has these disputes" and equates NFLST with the other two greatest inventions of mankind, fire and the wheel. He goes on to say that he has Cablevision as well as D* and the picture is better on Cablevision HD and the DVR works better than D*. Bottom line his opinion is "just get the channel on." A few callers tried to tell him that MSG is looking for about a $3.00 month increase over $4.65 (don't know where they got the numbers) up to $7.11 when even ESPN only gets about $5 a month. I think Francessa doesn't realize that the increase goes to all subscribers, not just people who watch MSG. Unless MSG is a seperate package on TWC, but I don't thinks so.

He should stick to sports talk, which even as someone who hates NY sports thinks he is great. Knows nothing about this though.

Francessa later talking with a caller who laments not getting MSG on TWC. Francessa asks if he has access to satellite, caller states his building is DISH. Francessa states, "DISH basically got out of the sports business." During the overall discussion with callers Francessa says "DirecTv never has these disputes" and equates NFLST with the other two greatest inventions of mankind, fire and the wheel. He goes on to say that he has Cablevision as well as D* and the picture is better on Cablevision HD and the DVR works better than D*. Bottom line his opinion is "just get the channel on." A few callers tried to tell him that MSG is looking for about a $3.00 month increase over $4.65 (don't know where they got the numbers) up to $7.11 when even ESPN only gets about $5 a month. I think Francessa doesn't realize that the increase goes to all subscribers, not just people who watch MSG. Unless MSG is a seperate package on TWC, but I don't thinks so.
Francesa is a blowhard. He is provided the television services he has free of charge, and even if he wasn't he still reportedly makes somewhere in the neighborhood of $5M annually. It's easy for him to tell someone to "just get the channel on."

I love how he won't admit when he was wrong about something, when he was. Here's one example...

Last edited by a moderator:
For those who don't know, last week MSG allowed the local OTA NBC affiliate to broadcast a Sabres game. There were alot of commercials for a local DirecTv installer urging people to switch to keep watching the 14th place Sabres (who lost the game).

I hope it blew up in MSG's face.

Frankly I can't stand Mike Francesca, but I'm not ready to take sides on either MSG or E*. If I for one second believed that my rates for E* would not be increased as a result of non-carriage of MSG, then I would see their side. However, now that E* has not carried MSG for like 2 years now, has anyone's rates gone DOWN as a result of not having to pay whatever fee they were paying MSG in the last contract? Nope. I mean, MSG just disappeared and Charlie is there talking about keeping costs down for the subscriber, but now that they aren't paying anything for MSG - no savings were passed on to the customer. I know that this is an MSG thread, but shoot - looks like another year with SNY as well and there's little to no press on that front. Again, my rates didn't decrease as a result of non carriage of SNY either. So I know we all like to talk about customer rate hikes as a result of greedy fee increases by the RSNs - but shouldn't customers see something back for 100% of a RSN fee reduction? $2? even $1? But then they'll claim that costs have gone up from other areas which offsets the amount saved. That just means to me that they either passed on the costs increases from other channels we don't watch, or they fattened their profit margin.

That being said, I do think it's absurd that MSG appears to be looking at such a large rate hike and their idea of "change to another provider" is ludicrous since this will just happen with another provider when their contract is up. It's good that they do get some resistance to ridiculously high rate hikes. I can't help but feel that the renovation of the area is being placed on the backs of television subscribers. I can't stand the Dolans and how they use these rate hikes to fuel their money losing franchises.

However, I am a sucker for sports and MSG was one thing - but not having SNY for another year - I have started to abandon ship and move to D*. I'll have to complain about it when D* has their contract dispute with MSG. :-/

id like to see him to negoations from the provider and and have to deal with customers bill increases who don't watch it coplaine. he'd probly say stop being a baby and deal with paying more for what u don't want

For those who don't know, last week MSG allowed the local OTA NBC affiliate to broadcast a Sabres game. There were alot of commercials for a local DirecTv installer urging people to switch to keep watching the 14th place Sabres (who lost the game).

I hope it blew up in MSG's face.

Was also broadcast on NBC here in the Rochester area.

Frankly I can't stand Mike Francesca, but I'm not ready to take sides on either MSG or E*. If I for one second believed that my rates for E* would not be increased as a result of non-carriage of MSG, then I would see their side. However, now that E* has not carried MSG for like 2 years now, has anyone's rates gone DOWN as a result of not having to pay whatever fee they were paying MSG in the last contract? Nope. I mean, MSG just disappeared and Charlie is there talking about keeping costs down for the subscriber, but now that they aren't paying anything for MSG - no savings were passed on to the customer. I know that this is an MSG thread, but shoot - looks like another year with SNY as well and there's little to no press on that front. Again, my rates didn't decrease as a result of non carriage of SNY either. So I know we all like to talk about customer rate hikes as a result of greedy fee increases by the RSNs - but shouldn't customers see something back for 100% of a RSN fee reduction? $2? even $1? But then they'll claim that costs have gone up from other areas which offsets the amount saved. That just means to me that they either passed on the costs increases from other channels we don't watch, or they fattened their profit margin. I will add, I am now paying the same $10 I did for the platinum package movie channels, but with BB get movies my mail, stream movies, etc...... Is this all because of no NY RSN's, of course not, but it contributes to it. Just like not giving in to each and every affiliate in each and every market who want higher and higher payments, eventually has an effect of keeping prices down.
I haven't touched upon escalating fuel costs etc... that probably outweigh ten times the saving Dish got from not carrying those RSN's...

/

So much wrong hard to keep this short,but I will try.
It's a very simplistic view, and a wrong one to conclude Dish did nothing but make more money because of it. Lets see, maybe more HD channels were added (they were) and maybe there was no price increase for most all the packages (there wasn't), and maybe we got a premium movie channel for a year free (we did). Maybe dish has many more non sports channels in HD than Direct partly because of not overpaying RSN"s. (they do by some 18 or so)
And lets see, Direct is now charging anyone who gets the expensive NY RSN's a fee of at least $2 a month. You are not paying that fee, so you are saving at least $2 a month, PLUS getting more HD channels, and overall paying less than with Direct for most cases with no price rise. Dish has been the leader on this issue, Direct is now finding out they can't keep passing the cost of the RSN's onto everyone who subscribes to Direct, dish has known that for awhile now.
So no, Dish has not just kept the profit.
And I haven't touched upon the escalating costs of fuel and other items that would prevent you bill actually going down.....

Last edited:
And lets see, Direct is now charging anyone who gets the expensive NY RSN's a fee of at least $2 a month. You are not paying that fee, so you are saving at least $2 a month,

Actually there are people in the Directv thread with NY RSN's who said the fee wasn't on their bill. Your main point still stands but it looks like they aren't just charging everyone with NY RSNs. There seems to be other factors.

Actually there are people in the Directv thread with NY RSN's who said the fee wasn't on their bill. Your main point still stands but it looks like they aren't just charging everyone with NY RSNs. There seems to be other factors.
We'll have to see how all that shakes out with Direct... Thanks...

The Subscribers that are getting the DirecTV RSN hike are in areas that straddle Markets near the NYC area. The subs seeing the increase get the Three NY RSN's (MSG, SNY, YES) as well as an adjacent market with their own RSN's. Again this is happening in the Tri State area. I live in Rochester NY and I did not get a hike in my Bill. BTW I have both Dish and DirecTV. Dish's argument about the RSN does ring somewhat hollow, because as was previously noted they did NOT offer any cut for NY subs, or offer any extra programing. I'm glad I have DirecTV so I can not only get Buffalo Sabres games, but also in HD.

TW also pulled MSG, and they also did nothing for subscribers losing the channel.

John

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)