msg and msg+ wil they give in

NY State Attorney General getting involved. Hopefully this will force a deal. State AG to facilitate talks in cable dispute - Television - The Buffalo News

I guess it can't hurt to have someone sticking up for the consumer in this whole mess. The threat of government involvement could get both sides to meet in the middle and hammer out an agreement so fans don't have to miss too many of their teams' games.

The question I have, though, is why get involved in the Time Warner-MSG dispute almost immediately and not the much longer running Dish-MSG dispute? I guess Time Warner's decisions effect more people, but when Dish dropped MSG a lot of fans were stuck in contracts and couldn't drop Dish without paying an EFT. At least most Time Warner customers could call up the cable operator and walk away tomorrow without an EFT.

The question I have, though, is why get involved in the Time Warner-MSG dispute almost immediately and not the much longer running Dish-MSG dispute? I guess Time Warner's decisions effect more people, but when Dish dropped MSG a lot of fans were stuck in contracts and couldn't drop Dish without paying an EFT. At least most Time Warner customers could call up the cable operator and walk away tomorrow without an EFT.

Maybe it is the number of subs in New York State, and plus the fact the cities, towns and villages are paid cable franchise fees from Time Warner's gross proceeds. Dish and Directv don't pay these fees. The more subs who change providers (or the threat of changing), the more nervous local politicians get about losing these franchise fees for the local governments budgets.

The only way things seem to change.....pressure from the advertisers and the involvement of government. The people can speak up as much as they want but the money and political influence talks the loudest.
Money is what produces the political influence, so it is really only about the money, and the entities with the most money generate the most political influence.

Islandguy43 said:
Maybe it is the number of subs in New York State, and plus the fact the cities, towns and villages are paid cable franchise fees from Time Warner's gross proceeds. Dish and Directv don't pay these fees. The more subs who change providers (or the threat of changing), the more nervous local politicians get about losing these franchise fees for the local governments budgets.

Plus cable is the only option for some besides ota

Islandguy43 said:
I have found it the other way around. There are areas when the only option is a dish; whereas the cable company won't go to the expense to bring the cable to a rural residence.

That's true eapicly in wide open country of if your way up a hill. Just read in the paper that msg says they just want twc to pay what all ther other companies are paying them.

The aspect of TWC v. MSG dispute, as well as the Dish v. MSG dispute that bears constant repeating is that these is not just about money. MSG (and Madison Square Garden) is controlled by the Dolan family, which just happens to control Cablevision, one of TWC's major competitors in the NYC Metro Area. The Dolans have always tried to leverage MSG as a way of luring sports fans away, whether from TWC or Dish. Even when we had MSG on Dish, two years ago, there was never any chance of getting MSG-HD without divine intervention. The MSG-HD signal was never actually broadcast over the air, and the Dolans kept it that way to avoid any situation where they would have to provide it to what they perceived as a competitor. Somehow they made peace with Direct, probably at a substantial cost. We still have sales guys from Cablevision come calling, offering the NY sports in HD. I tell them to go to hell - I find there business practices unethical at best, and will not have anything to do with subsidizing that sort of behavior.

It kills me, too, as the NY Rangers are having an excellent year!

Greenwood Luke
Warwick, NY
Unless a given area is dual planted ( For both Cablevision and Time Warner) there IS NO competition as each provider is the only one in that area. As far as satellite is concerned, yes, DTV and Dish do in fact compete with the land based providers.
I left your area 20 years ago but when I did live up there the only place I knew of where there were competing cable systems was Hillsdale and Park Ridge in Bergen County. Back then customers could choose between Cablevision and what was then UA Columbia( since bought out by TWC).....
The Dolans are doing the same nonsense as Comcast Philly where if one wants to watch ANY Philly team, they MUST be Comcast customers.

It is my understanding that DISH and MSG are not even in talks currently.
That is forever. It's not coming back. Same thing with YES for NY Metro subs.
Now, here is the conspiracy theiry of the decade.....LOL...
Please correct me if this is inaccurate. I understand that the carriage contract between Dish and Disney is to expire at the end of 2012. Industry people are anticipating Disney is going to demand a hefty increase due to ESPN..
Now being the poker player Charlie is, I think he will refuse to accept a large increase and he may just call Disney's bluff. Charlie and his bean counters may very well take a chance on losing a significant percentage of subscribers( I think in the region of 30% will dump Dish) to make stand...JMHO....If this does come to fruition, perhaps other providers will draw a line in the sand and say "no more' to the programmers.
What do you think?

Here's MSG's CEO speaking out on the TWC dispute. Time Warner Blocks MSG - CNBC
Here's the problem...the CEO said "We don't talk numbers"....That right there makes his company look like they are hiding something.
Here's the deal. If a programmer cannot be honest with consumers and tell them straight up "today you are paying $1.37 per month for our service. Tomorrow you will be paying $1.58 ,there is no sense even discussing the matter. Take your network and shove it.
That CEO said something which on which we need to key..."An old agreement".This is where he gets to say the 53% rise is a "mischaracterization"...No it is NOT..The price is this and MSG wants 53% more. It cannot get any more plain that that..Ok, who's fault is THAT?..Ultimately Cablevision ( Owner of MSG) is expecting consumers to offset a bad deal the company made for itself.
Well guess what Dolans.....Too effing bad.
MIs

That is forever. It's not coming back. Same thing with YES for NY Metro subs.
Now, here is the conspiracy theiry of the decade.....LOL...
Please correct me if this is inaccurate. I understand that the carriage contract between Dish and Disney is to expire at the end of 2012. Industry people are anticipating Disney is going to demand a hefty increase due to ESPN..
Now being the poker player Charlie is, I think he will refuse to accept a large increase and he may just call Disney's bluff. Charlie and his bean counters may very well take a chance on losing a significant percentage of subscribers( I think in the region of 30% will dump Dish) to make stand...JMHO....If this does come to fruition, perhaps other providers will draw a line in the sand and say "no more' to the programmers.
What do you think?

Comcast just signed a 10 year agreement with Disney that includes ESPN. Directv's bread and butter is sports, so I would imagine they'll agree to terms. If Dish doesn't come to terms, they'll be on their own (And missing a lot of customers, probably including me).

Comcast just signed a 10 year agreement with Disney that includes ESPN. Directv's bread and butter is sports, so I would imagine they'll agree to terms. If Dish doesn't come to terms, they'll be on their own (And missing a lot of customers, probably including me).

And how much more will comcast subs be paying?...See that's the key. The money.
I would not be so quick to conclude Directv will not play hardball with Disney. I state that for the very same reason you did. Sports are Directv's bread and butter.
However, it' not RSN's that are part of that mix. It is the sports packages, NHL, NFL, NCAA Hoops and football and MLB....Throw in the NBA as well.
Would I dump Dish if ESPN went away, probably. Don't know for sure.
Quite frankly I am sick of the entire setup...
YV ,even pay tv top brass operate with a 1950's mentality. It's all about protecting these little fiefdoms. Same goes for sports programming.
The way I see it is; if I am willing to pay for it , I should be able to watch it.
Territorial restrictions are a bunch of crap. They should be outlawed.

It is the sports packages, NHL, NFL, NCAA Hoops and football and MLB....Throw in the NBA as well.

The crazy part of this whole dispute is that, since I am NHL Center Ice Sub I still get the MSG feeds off Center Ice for the Islanders and Devils. However, since I live in Buffalo's territory I can't get the Buffalo Sabre feeds or the Rangers feeds off the Center Ice Channels, due to NHL Blackout Rules. So basically, I could go back to Dish,"Move to Cleveland" and then sub to NHL Center Ice and then I would get the Sabres and Rangers Home Feeds.

I guess it can't hurt to have someone sticking up for the consumer in this whole mess. The threat of government involvement could get both sides to meet in the middle and hammer out an agreement so fans don't have to miss too many of their teams' games.

TWC in NYC (along with cablevision)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)