msg and msg+ wil they give in

In my opinion, it's a better shot getting SNY back, or YES added, before getting MSG back. Dish is currently proving that it can be successful without NYC RSNs, which means many subs from NYC who care about sports subscribed to other providers prior to the drop of MSG.

The Fat Man said:
In my opinion, it's a better shot getting SNY back, or YES added, before getting MSG back. Dish is currently proving that it can be successful without NYC RSNs, which means many subs from NYC who care about sports subscribed to other providers prior to the drop of MSG.

But not every one is able to recive sat or other programing such as fios for one reason or another. It makes me laugh how msg tells us to switch providers when those who did go to twc to have them are in the boat again. Its insane. What they going to do now go to direct??

What is there to talk about? Dish: "We are willing to talk about something reasonable"
MSG: "We are willing to be as reasonable with you as we are with TWC"

:D:D

I bet they are far more concerned about the loss of TWC over Dish. Dish was already hurting in sports because of YES. TWC is a huge provider in the area by comparison to Dish. They probably did not really feel the loss of Dish, but they will feel a long loss with TWC. If TWC goes months without MSG, I could see MSG heading towards financial difficulties.

One thing that might be pertinent is if anyone knows when MSG's contract with Directv expires. People may be hesitant to switch and ink a 2-year commitment with Directv if they fear that Directv and MSG may be the next ones to get into a feud. On the other hand, if Directv could market that they've got MSG for at least the next two years, I think the majority of people who are fans of teams on MSG would switch.

I bet they are far more concerned about the loss of TWC over Dish. Dish was already hurting in sports because of YES. TWC is a huge provider in the area by comparison to Dish. They probably did not really feel the loss of Dish, but they will feel a long loss with TWC. If TWC goes months without MSG, I could see MSG heading towards financial difficulties.

+1
TWC isthe only cable provider in a lot of the suburbs of Northern NJ and the NorthernMountains of PA. If MSG does not make a deal with TWC they will have financial difficulties.But as for dish network we have a better chance of getting SNY back the offerthey made to dish IMHO was competitive.

I bet they are far more concerned about the loss of TWC over Dish.

Uh, that was pretty much my point...... If they were even negotiating with Dish I don't imagine it being a better deal than with TWC.....at best it would be we will give you what we will to TWC......

This will get resolved.....of course I said that about the DISH/MSG fiasco and we still don't have it on DISH but this impacts alot more people in the Buffalo area and NYC than it did with DISH. Last time TWC and MSG had a spat, then Atty. Gen Andrew Cuomo got involved and resolved it in 2 months.

The story early on was that Cablevision was making FUSE part of this agreement and that TWC is balking at that. But that hasn't been mentioned in awhile.

I also heard as one of the stories about this issue that DISH is down to 3,000 customers in Western New York. Don't know if that number is true but in an area of 1 million + people, that seems to be pathetic for a major provider.

I'm still surprised Chuck Schumer hasn't gotten into the middle of this.

Its a big circle...

The players get multi-million dollar salaries

The teams charge more for TV/Radio rights and tickets

The networks charge more for access to cable/Satellite

The providers charge us more

And we're dumb enought to pay it, because

The networks require that the channels are offered in lower, non sports specific tiers.

THAT HAS TO CHANGE! If you want basketball you pay $x, If you want football you pay $y, etc., etc. AND if you have no sports interest you pay $0 additional!

Last edited:
Local newspaper (Rochester D&C) stated in an article today the TWC and MSG had agreed to a 6.5% increase, then MSG reneged and demanded a 53% increase.

Here's MSG's CEO speaking out on the TWC dispute. Time Warner Blocks MSG - CNBC

Great find. Thanks!

The problem from my point of view is that the Buffalo market is getting lumped in with the NYC market when trying to establish a price point for MSG based in NYC and that's totally unfair. Of course MSG is looking at what TWC did with the LA market......I don't believe anything the President of MSG says.

I really hope this is a wake up call for the owners of the Sabres to start their own RSN in Buffalo.

I have both Dish Network and Time Warner Cable. I also happen to watch MSG Networks a lot - so this truly has sucked for me. Frankly I think no one comes looking like a rose in all of this. I hate MSG and really any other networks trying to be greedy but I would be a fool to think that Time Warner cares about keeping my rates low and that they won't rise because they didn't sign a contract with MSG.

Dish Network talked a good talk about not giving in to MSG to protect affordable rates for its customers, and then they proceeded to raise rates early last year - just right around the same time Time Warner raised it's rates as well as DirecTv - "due to the high costs of programming".

Rates for the consumers are going up no matter which provider you use. They will always go up - with or without MSG. You can perhaps make a case about "well, it won't go up as much as it would have" - but no one will ever know the answer to that. If Dish Network doesn't want to raise their rates, they will just raise equipment fees.

I always found it amusing that when one provider raises its rates, all the others follow suit. It's like the airline industry except that prices never go down.

I have both Dish Network and Time Warner Cable. I also happen to watch MSG Networks a lot - so this truly has sucked for me. Frankly I think no one comes looking like a rose in all of this. I hate MSG and really any other networks trying to be greedy but I would be a fool to think that Time Warner cares about keeping my rates low and that they won't rise because they didn't sign a contract with MSG.

Dish Network talked a good talk about not giving in to MSG to protect affordable rates for its customers, and then they proceeded to raise rates early last year - just right around the same time Time Warner raised it's rates as well as DirecTv - "due to the high costs of programming".

Rates for the consumers are going up no matter which provider you use. They will always go up - with or without MSG. You can perhaps make a case about "well, it won't go up as much as it would have" - but no one will ever know the answer to that. If Dish Network doesn't want to raise their rates, they will just raise equipment fees.

I always found it amusing that when one provider raises its rates, all the others follow suit. It's like the airline industry except that prices never go down.

Rates are going to go up. It's a question of how much.

Its a big circle...

The players get multi-million dollar salaries

The teams charge more for TV/Radio rights and tickets

The networks charge more for access to cable/Satellite

The providers charge us more

And we're dumb enought to pay it, because

The networks require that the channels are offered in lower, non sports specific tiers.

THAT HAS TO CHANGE! If you want basketball you pay $x, If you want football you pay $y, etc., etc. AND if you have no sports interest you pay $0 additional!

Forget it. I don't want most non-sports stuff, if I have to pay for that, you've got to pay for sports. Some scheme that forces me to pay for a basic package with women's and children's channels and then asks for a sports premium on top of it would cause me to jump ship from any provider I'm with as soon as the contract expires if not sooner. Let's face it, they do that, the base package will be as much or almost as much as it is now, just without sports, and the sports add-on will be $15-$20 minimum. It's just a scheme to gouge sports fans. And even the non-sports fans won't save much if any money, they'll just be paying as much for less.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)