Hopper Upgrade

dishfan82

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Feb 18, 2012
clinton Township
Is anyone else kinda disappointed that it appears as if existing customers will have to pay 99 bucks for the upgrade to hopper?? When I signed up last month the rep told me that I would be able to upgrade to hopper at no cost and that's the only reason I signed up with Dish instead of waiting until March to get hopper. 99 bucks isn't a terrible price but when I call to upgrade I am really going to push them to give me hopper free. I'll be nice about it of course when I do call and maybe they'll be able to give it to me free. Yes I know I got the DVR I have now for free but I should have just waited another mouth. Overall I am happy with Dish so maybe they'll surprise us with free upgrades since they want everyone to have hopper. I know dish isn't forcing anyone to upgrade to hopper but to me it seems like a no brainer just because Hopper has a refreshed interface with channel logo's. It's a lot easier to find channels with their logos then without and a few new things are added. Anyone have any suggestions on getting Dish to give you hopper below 99 bucks? I would be happy if they said the best we can offer you hopper would be 49.99. I would take that price and run with it.

Give it a month and then bump this thread when we get the full details. There's still a lot of missing information related to pricing/upgrades as seen from the Q&A thread.

You've been a customer for a month & long ways to go to be out of contract. Hate to be sarcastic, but they have you right where they want you & negotiations will be on their terms.

I am a long time dish customer and have been following the Hopper announcement for a long time and at least once a week since CES. Here is the latest I have heard. Existing dish customers with either the 200 or 250 packages will not have to pay the $99 upgrade fee, each customer will be allowed the Hopper and up to 3 Joeys, Availability will be March 15th. I would provide a citation but I do not remember where I read it.

Well I'm going to believe the installers and people with contacts that say it'll be $99 for most of us existing customers.

Good question. Doesn't really seem to be an answer yet, although someone posted something would happen on March 8th.

Good question. Doesn't really seem to be an answer yet, although someone posted something would happen on March 8th.
The way I recall, perhaps incorrectly, was that they start shipping to the dealers on the 8th, but the "Open" sign does not come out until the 15th....for sales or orders.

Dealers are able to order equipment on March 8th in order to be ready for sales starting on March 15th. It will not be available to any customers until March 15th.

Existing customers will have to pay a minimum of $99 for a Hopper and $0 for Joeys. They will also have to pay the technician visit fee. If you are trying to get it cheaper from Dish or a retailer the only discount I could see you getting is the waving of the tech visit fee. Having to pay $99 for an upgrade is actually better than I thought it might be. I was figuring $200. If any people here feel it is an outrageous fee you need to just look back at what it was just to get a dual tuner DVR when first released. Even new customers had to pay $99 upgrade fee to get a 722.

To me the upgrade fees are in line with the way their system has been for many years and is actually pretty reasonable. (As long as you can get around the tech visit fee)

You can get around all fees by direct tv as they are willing to give dish customer one hr 34 and five receivers for free, at least that's what they offered me.

Aim waiting to see which unit offers the best experience . As I understand things it is hard to play back recordings on the hr34 as you need to hit enter 4 to 5 times. That will drive me crazy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I guess 99 bucks isn't bad for an upgrade. I have the 722k now and I hate how there are no channel logos in the guide. I wish they'll develop a software update after it comes out that will let you ditch the grid view and go to a list view. With hopper can you pause live tv and pick it up in the next room?

Upgrades for existing customers will be as follows. (keep in mind that if you haven't been a customer for at least 18 months and in good standing you will probably be a "C" customer).

DISH’n It Up Hopper and Joey Customer Pricing - Available March 15, 2012
Receiver Plan A Plan B Plan C
First Hopper $100 $100 $200
Second Hopper $100 $100 $200
Joey (1st through 4th)* $0 $0 $100

You can get around all fees by direct tv as they are willing to give dish customer one hr 34 and five receivers for free, at least that's what they offered me.

Aim waiting to see which unit offers the best experience . As I understand things it is hard to play back recordings on the hr34 as you need to hit enter 4 to 5 times. That will drive me crazy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Things like that's would be the number one reason for me to stay away from d-tv all together. Never mind the lack of the HD channels I watch.:eek:

Upgrades for existing customers will be as follows. (keep in mind that if you haven't been a customer for at least 18 months and in good standing you will probably be a "C" customer).

Second Hopper for $100, not $200?

Are these promotional prices, with an expiration date?

And as to when orders can be taken for early installs, perhaps it is best to go thru a local retailer. They might be amenable to "penciling you in." I'd suggest Claude at DishStore, but he's so down on Dish and Hopper lately.......

By far the best explanation of pricing for existing subs.

I have a 622 that is on its last legs. I am hoping we can order and get an install pretty quickly after the 15th on the Hopper/Joey setups.

I'm thinking a local retailer would be able to help you faster as long as they have the equipment. I'm going to guess that Dish will be swamped with people trying to get signed up for it.

damjr said:

I thought the first Hopper was free for Plan A customers?

Sent from my iPad 2 using Forum Runner

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts