MSG HD?

This probably has been discussed, but why no MSG HD?

It has "something to do with" the fact that MSG HD is distributed via fiber (landline), not satellite, and therefore falls under some "terrestrial exception" that exempts the Dolans from having to offer it to others.

That said, and despite CV's claims, they DO make the channel available to certain cable companies and anyone willing to cough up big bucks, like D*. I don't think Dish falls under the heading of "willing to cough up big bucks", though, so I'm not expecting it any time soon. But anything can happen.

As they say at the end of The Thing; "keep watching the skies". :)

CableVision typically won't sell MSG-HD to any provider who competes in their service area.

They sell access to the channel to other cable companies because their service areas don't overlap, but they won't sell the channel to Verizon for FiOS TV or to ATT for U-Verse.

Verizon recently petitioned the FCC about this.

Bgothard,

There is another wrinkle in the Picture between Dish and Cablevision (owner of MSG HD). Cablevision owned another satellite service called VOOM. Voom was unable to survive on its own. They offered their content to multiple third party providers in the US. Dish was the only national provider to sign a contract to carry VOOM. Sometime ago the VOOM channels were pulled from Dish Network. Dish alleged that VOOM violated the terms of the contract by not adding new Content. Cablevision fired back that is Dish violated the terms of the contract. Since then this has been a protracted fight in the court system.

Until the litigation is settled between Dish and Cablevision, you, I nor any other Dish Subscriber will see any new Channel, Content, HD carriage from Cablevision. This means no MSG HD, AMC HD, Sundance HD, WE HD, IFC HD.

With all that said, Rainbow Media Holdings LLC (holding company for Cablevision) is said to be spinning off MSG to its own separate company by the end of the year.

John

MSG HD?

Forgetaboutit...

Thats why I unfortunately had to drop E* inorder to get my local Hockey Team's game in HD. If E* put MSG-HD and YES on their sports tier, it would make alot of Subs and potential New Subs happy. Afterall, we would be will to pay the extra $6.00 a month to get the channels.

In a pre-game segment before a NY Rangers game last season MSG took a trip to the NHL video replay booth in Toronto to show how they watch every game and make decisions on the fly. They were using VIP622 DVRs (I remember seeing about 5-10 of them on screen at one point.) Had many games still listed in the My Recordings screen and they were watching an HD version of MSG.

Wish we could share that feed.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)