MSG & MSG+ now being blacked out for zip code 18301

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Jimgm

Original poster
Nov 4, 2010
PA 18301
I have Directv and I look forward to watching The NJ Devils and NY Rangers on MSG and MSG+, in which I had no problem doing so up until last week. Now these channels are being blacked out when the games come on. What happened...do I need to now get the NHL Center Ice package and will they carry those games. My feeling is that the games will be blacked out there also and I will not have an option to go to.

The Directv website says you should get the Rangers, but not the Devils. It also says you should get FS Pittsburgh Penguins games if you sub to sportspack.

Does the website say I should get the Rangers or I should get channel 634 and 635? Both teams play on both channels. If you are correct that I will only get the Rangers now, can I get the blacked out Devils games on the NHL Center Ice package. I asked Directv if I could try the NHL Center ice package for one day to see if the Devils are not blacked out and still get a refund and they told me that I could not, no refunds.

That makes absolutely no sense because OP is closer to Devils territory than Rangers. He's also much closer to Flyers territory than Penguins. There's something seriously wrong with that 'finder'. When you put in a zip code for Philadelphia (19106), it says there are no home teams for that zip code. Last I checked there was the Flyers, Phillies, and Eagles.. :D I would call Directv and see if you can get someone in the programming department and see if they can get to the bottom of it.

For what its worth, I have sports pack and Center Ice. I watch the pregames for the Devils on MSG/MSG+. But once the game's timeslot starts, the "Game is blacked out for your area" message comes up, and I have to switch to the CI channel. Then once the game ends, the CI channel cuts off and I can go back to MSG for the postgame. If you are in fact outside the Devils broadcast territory, then your experience should be the same. But the way it stands now, you should get the Rangers games on MSG (like I said though, that makes no sense given you have to go through NJ to get to NY from PA :D). Devils host Rangers tomorrow, so see what happens. Technically (if the finder is right) you should get the Rangers feed on 634, but the Devils feed on 635 will be blacked out. On CI that would be flipped (since the Rangers feed on 634 should be open to you).

Last edited:
. Last I checked there was the Flyers, Phillies, and Eagles.. :D I would call Directv and see if you can get someone in the programming department and see if they can get to the bottom of it.
Well for 1, The Eagles are Broadcast on a Local Network , Not RSN's Thats why it says no Teams!

2nd Thing, Directv Does Not carry Comcast Philly, which is what you'll find Philly and the Flyers on , If they aren't Broadcast Locally.

So with that in mind, Directv doesn't carry any RSN's in the Philly DMA. Thats True!

Now the OP lives in E. Stroudsburg PA, I still have a Rental house there,and Grew up there!

18301 RSN are as Follows

• Big Ten
  • MSG
  • MSG+
  • YES
  • SNY
  • FSN Pittsburgh ( Sports Pack Required)
The 18301 ZIP Code is in the home team territory for the following pro teams. With HD Access select channels and teams available in HD are noted below:

With any DIRECTV base package (CHOICE or above, or MÁS ULTRA or above):

YES Network HD (Ch. 631) - HD Available Yankees (HD Available)
Madison Square Garden (Ch. 634)- HD Available New York Rangers (HD Available)
MSG Plus HD (Ch. 635) - HD Available New York Rangers (HD Available)
SportsNet New York HD (Ch. 639)- HD Available Mets (HD Available)
s.gif
With the PREMIER or LO MAXIMO package or any DIRECTV base package plus SPORTS Pack, you also get:

FS Pittsburgh HD (Ch. 659) - HD Available Pittsburgh Penguins (HD Available)

Last edited:
It sounds like you are saying that the Devils will now be blacked out on channels 634 and 635 when they weren't at the start of this hockey season. Is that true? If that is the case, do you think they (Devils) will appear on the NHL Center Ice package or will they also be blacked out there?

It sounds like you are saying that the Devils will now be blacked out on channels 634 and 635 when they weren't at the start of this hockey season. Is that true? If that is the case, do you think they (Devils) will appear on the NHL Center Ice package or will they also be blacked out there?

NHLCI free preview was throught Oct 27th, that is why you got the Devils games.

The you think they would have thrown these games on the NHL Center Ice channels and not on 634 and 635? Also, as I stated, I had no problem last year.

Ok, thats fair.. I figured that would've been changed when the FCC closed the terrestrial loophole. Should have known Comcast is playing douche games. But it still doesn't explain why OP would have access to the Rangers and not the Devils since he is much closer to the Devils than Rangers.

NHLCI free preview was throught Oct 27th, that is why you got the Devils games.

That's not it. Having CI opens the game on a CI channel, NOT on the RSN. The RSN feed remains blacked out. If OP was watching on MSG 634/635, then it had nothing to do with the CI preview. I know this because I tried several times to DVR the games on MSG to avoid the 6 hour CI block. It don't work.

If they are Broadcast on NY locals , Yes they will be blacked out on NHL CI.
Since your RSNs are NY, the Scranton DMA gets Screwed because they want you to View you game on THIER (NY) Locals, and not on the CI channels.

Problem is we don't have NY locals in Scranton DMA. This also happends for Yankess games as well. We Share RSN's with NY, But Not Locals !!
Thats where the problems comes in!

Your only bet is Channel 53 in the Scranton WB Market, Or "Move" to the NY DMA.
Channel 53 is a My Network That Plays Philly Baseball, and Yankee BaseBall if they are Being Braodcast Locally in NY, This way the Scranton DMA can Also view the game.
It may work for Hockey, But I'm not sure! And its Not in HD!
And its not a Garentee!

Last edited:
Buttom Line , Scranton Wilkes Barre DMA Gets Screwed, Because we have to Share RSN's with another State and DMA, Well thats Ok for most cable companys because, they Get,WABC,WNBC,WCBS, WPIX and WWOR, You can't get them with Direct or Dish Network in the Scranton DMA! So we miss out If they are on those channels.
We have the same exact Blackouts as NY with RSN's, So we have no local to View them with Satellite!

If you want Help Moving, Let me Know.
Just remember you'll Lose your Scranton Wilkes-Barre Locals!
And NY will be your locals!

Having Said that, I'm still not sure the Devils would definately be on!

If they are Broadcast on NY locals , Yes they will be blacked out on NHL CI.
Since your RSNs are NY, the Scranton DMA gets Screwed because they want you to View you game on THIER (NY) Locals, and not on the CI channels.

Problem is we don't have NY locals in Scranton DMA. This also happends for Yankess games as well. We Share RSN's with NY, But Not Locals !!
Thats where the problems comes in!
Your only bet is Channel 53 in the Scranton WB Market, Or "Move" to the NY DMA.
Channel 53 is a My Network That Plays Philly Baseball, and Yankee BaseBall if they are Being Braodcast Locally in NY, This way the Scranton DMA can Also view the game.
It may work for Hockey, But I'm not sure! And its Not in HD!
And its not a Garentee!

Devils and Rangers are never on locals. Except when NBC has them once a season or if they make the finals (but those are national games and will be available on your NBC affiliate anyway).

Last edited:
Devils and Rangers are never on locals. Except when NBC has them once a season or if they make the finals.
Then your Screwed in Monroe County Pa.

But I found out that Pike County, will have these with the NY DMA as your Locals!

With any DIRECTV base package (CHOICE or above, or MÁS ULTRA or above):

YES Network HD (Ch. 631) - HD Available New Jersey Nets (HD Available)
s.gif
Yankees (HD Available)

Madison Square Garden (Ch. 634) - HD Available New Jersey Devils (HD Available)New York Islanders (HD Available)
s.gif
New York Knicks (HD Available)
s.gif
New York Rangers (HD Available)

MSG Plus HD (Ch. 635)- HD Available
s.gif
New York Knicks (HD Available)
s.gif
New York Rangers (HD Available)

SportsNet New York HD (Ch. 639) - HD Available
s.gif
Mets (HD Available)
s.gif

With the PREMIER or LO MAXIMO package or any DIRECTV base package plus SPORTS Pack, you also get:

FS Pittsburgh HD (Ch. 659)- HD Available
s.gif
Pirates (HD Available)
s.gif
Pittsburgh Penguins (HD Available)

Looks like your only Solution would be Try NHL CI Which may work, Beacuse it appears your not in Devils territory, Or move to NY DMA!

I'm still baffled as to why where he is (literally 2 minutes from the bridge), he can't get either NJ team, but he can get Yankees, Mets, and Rangers. But if you move farther north (closer to NY, farther from NJ), you get the NJ teams. Makes absolutely no sense.

Ok, I just ordered NHLCI. The Devils vs the Rgrs should be blacked out on channel 635 but I should get it on NHLCI. If not, I just wasted $179.80 and I am in Hockey Hell.

I'm still baffled as to why where he is (literally 2 minutes from the bridge), he can't get either NJ team, but he can get Yankees, Mets, and Rangers. But if you move farther north (closer to NY, farther from NJ), you get the NJ teams. Makes absolutely no sense.

He has it better then Pike county PA, Atleast he can get PA locals.

Pike county is NY DMA. Thats a bunch of Crap!

But the only reason Pike Can get it and Not Monroe, is because they are 2 different local markets.

That's not it. Having CI opens the game on a CI channel, NOT on the RSN. The RSN feed remains blacked out. If OP was watching on MSG 634/635, then it had nothing to do with the CI preview. I know this because I tried several times to DVR the games on MSG to avoid the 6 hour CI block. It don't work.

This is not true. I have Center Ice and I can watch the game on the RSN channel just fine.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)