MSG & MSG+ now being blacked out for zip code 18301

Status
Please reply by conversation.
The situation is even worse. Wed. night MSG featured the Devils and Blackhawks on 634 (MSG). It was blacked out even though the RSN zip code locator On DTV's web site has the Devils listed as a team I should get on 634.

In a related matter, to get the Penguins and Pirates on FSN-Pitt, I have to pay for the Sports Pack even though Comcast delivers it as part of its basic service on the local cable. The local hockey team, the Wilkes-Barre-Scranton Penguins is a Pittsburgh minor leadue AHL team. There is a lot of interest in the Pittsburgh Penguins because of this. The strange thing about this also is that Directv owns FSN-Pitt. Go figure! We can't get CSN-Philadelphia; we get a partial MSG this year; and DTV makes us pay extra for Fox Sports Pittsburgh.

The situation is even worse. Wed. night MSG featured the Devils and Blackhawks on 634 (MSG). It was blacked out even though the RSN zip code locator On DTV's web site has the Devils listed as a team I should get on 634.

Have you called DTV to get an explanation?

My RSN's (here in Rochester NY 14617) say I should get the same channels as Syracuse but except for the free preview I have been blacked out of all Islanders games until tonight's game. Then last night's Devils game was also blacked out. I have talked with Direct TV a couple of times and they say they don't know why I am being blacked out, just that the NHL told them to black out my zip code. They can't give me any reason why games are blacked out and told me to email the NHL and try and get an answer from them, which I did but haven't heard anything yet. Since I am in the home team area for all four teams getting Center Ice would do me no good since I would be blacked out since they are all my home teams. Does anyone know if customers get blacked out in Syracuse of any of these games.

The NHL might consider Rochester part of the sabres territory. MLB has crazy rules too. Toronto which is 70 miles from me would not be blacked out on mlb extra innings, but the two NY teams, cleveland and pittsburgh would be blacked on mlbei.

I called DTV and received the standard excuse-blackouts are the responsibility of the RSNs. Directv has no control over them. However, she couldn't answer why I need the Sports Pack to receive the DTV owned channel, FSN-Pittsburgh, and the local Comcast provides it at no extra charge.

The NHL might consider Rochester part of the sabres territory. MLB has crazy rules too. Toronto which is 70 miles from me would not be blacked out on mlb extra innings, but the two NY teams, cleveland and pittsburgh would be blacked on mlbei.
I was told I was just outside of the 50 mile blackout for the Buffalo Sabres so I should be able to get the Sabres,Islanders,Rangers and Devils. I have gotten all of the Sabres games so far as well as the Rangers and most of the Devils games but only last nights Islander game. It would be nice to know ahead of time if a game is going to be on or not but Direct Tv can't tell me.

That's not it. Having CI opens the game on a CI channel, NOT on the RSN. The RSN feed remains blacked out. If OP was watching on MSG 634/635, then it had nothing to do with the CI preview. I know this because I tried several times to DVR the games on MSG to avoid the 6 hour CI block. It don't work.

Not the case for me. I have CI and watch the Bruins on the RSN (NESN) all the time.

Thank you guys for backing me up on this. It's funny how JerseyMatt hasn't posted anything after every body is confirming this. Thanks for basically calling me a liar and disappearing..:rolleyes:

Thank you guys for backing me up on this. It's funny how JerseyMatt hasn't posted anything after every body is confirming this. Thanks for basically calling me a liar and disappearing..:rolleyes:

Well then please enlighten me as to why the f*** when I try to watch a game on MSG, I can watch the pregame, but as soon as the game time block starts, I get the little box in the bottom corner that says "Game is blacked out on this channel" and I have to go find it in the 700's?

its not the first time he has done that ;)

Why don't you show me where else I have? Please, I insist. Was it back a few months ago when I joined up to ask questions about Dish and I was all but ignored? Or are you talking about the one where I called someone out for slinging company BS about the quality of certain connectors?

I have only been with Direct TV for a couple of months. It seems like a lot of people are having problems with blackouts with MSG this year. Does this happen every year like this or did the NHL change their blackout policy's? Direct TV's web site says you are supposed to get certain teams on your RSN's but then at game time sometimes they get blacked out and then there are times when they don't blackout the games. I have been able to watch the Rangers all year until last night when they got blacked out and the night before I could watch the Islanders for the first time all year. Then Direct TV tells me Center Ice would be blacked out for all of my home teams, the Sabres, Rangers, Islanders and Devils. If they are my home teams then give them to me on my RSN's.

I have only been with Direct TV for a couple of months. It seems like a lot of people are having problems with blackouts with MSG this year. Does this happen every year like this or did the NHL change their blackout policy's? Direct TV's web site says you are supposed to get certain teams on your RSN's but then at game time sometimes they get blacked out and then there are times when they don't blackout the games. I have been able to watch the Rangers all year until last night when they got blacked out and the night before I could watch the Islanders for the first time all year. Then Direct TV tells me Center Ice would be blacked out for all of my home teams, the Sabres, Rangers, Islanders and Devils. If they are my home teams then give them to me on my RSN's.
I think its lack of ticket sales. Games must not be selling out!

Maybe this will help:

What are the blackout restrictions for... Rangers games?
New York

* Up to 50 games may be carried beyond Sullivan, Ulster and Dutchess Counties.
* Total blackout within 50 miles of Buffalo, including Rochester.

New Jersey

* Total blackout south of Mercer, Monmouth and Ocean Counties.

Connecticut

* Up to 50 games may be carried beyond Fairfield County.

Pennsylvania

* Up to 50 games may be carried in the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton area.
* Total blackout beyond the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton area.

FAQ - MSG.com
I'm sure there are similar blackout restrictions for Devils and Islanders games.

In years past I remember being able to find a detailed TV schedule on MSG's site for each hockey team with footnotes about which games would be blacked out in each region, but I cannot find any of these schedules for the 2010-11 season.

Maybe this will be helpful too. MSG Network - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I just wanted you guys to see I'm not bullsh**ting here either.. I can't get CI games on MSG/MSG+. I have to use the 700's. And yes, I have Sportspack. I watch the pregame on 635, then the screen goes black and a box comes up that says it will search for other channels, then I get this when it finds it. Once the game is over and the 700 channel cuts off, I can go back to 635 to watch the postgame.

Attachments

• dscf1038k.jpg
    dscf1038k.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 145
Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Please reply by conversation.