MSNBC and Cooking in Dish America Gold?

We did get an update on the channels. "We know about it, and are working on getting it corrected" is the scripted response. We were not told exactly where the error occurred, but hopefully everything will be corrected soon. If we do get any more word on the channels I'll be sure to post.

We did get an update on the channels. "We know about it, and are working on getting it corrected" is the scripted response. We were not told exactly where the error occurred, but hopefully everything will be corrected soon. If we do get any more word on the channels I'll be sure to post.

Straightforward and honest. Thanks for that!

Thanks! Matt-hopefully soon we will get this resolved. Your help is appreciated. Also, Thanks to Tony.

DA Gold +
Platinum

Sorry about the delay again. Walked in this morning to a message saying the channels missing are known (which is different from normal). I just checked with my "guys" in pocket and the most current update is that they are working on the fix actively. Trying to get an affirmative date, so I will post as soon as I have it (or perhaps even better news that the channels are good to go). So far as we know, its an authorization issue that they are chasing down. I ask about it everyday, literally. Matt is also working on this still, and I figure between Matt's persistence and my own we will have this handled as quick as we can.

Last edited:
Another solution?

This is very interesting. I called DN and was given a very nice person named Nick and told him about my on-going problem with not getting MSNBC and the Cooking Channel. This was after I received another receiver in the mail, which was sent to replace my old receiver. The new was was crap, so I'm now sending it back and Nick's suggested another one, which arrives Monday 3-7-11. He said he has seen this problem before and a GOOD receiver should cure the problem. Nick said the receiver, or the card, was to blame for not allowing a signal to be received - maybe an old receiver.

After all the other replies I've read, I am now very worried that no one knows what is going on. I will report back as to what happens with a new receiver.

But now I wonder if ANYONE is getting MSNBC on ANY package! Does anyone know? Maybe I'll just upgrade, but would this still leave me without MSNBC or the Cooking Channel.

HELP, the receiver comes in a few hours, I have to unhook the old receiver, hook up the new one, reauthorize it and if it doesn't work I have to repeat the entire process again - and that is after I did the same thing last week. :rolleyes:

I get MSNBCHD on AT250 just fine. The issue is not your equipment, to anyone wondering about it. Matt and I have been tracking this issue since day 1. The issue is the "authorization" as the agent said, but it is not that your receiver is not receiving that authorization, it is that we are not sending that authorization. I promise you no new receiver is needed to correct the missing channels. Being that you are here on Satguys, just monitor this thread and Matt or myself will get this resolved without any other equipment changes. It may take some time, but it will get fixed. Your equipment (so long as everything else works) is fine. This is a known issue, and an update and email was sent to the rest of the company.

And the receiver that I'm getting in the mail tomorrow??? Send it back, refuse shipment?? Resend it using the return label/

Since this problem has started I've been rethinking my programming package - for the better - and would like to receive Versus and the Speed HD channel, for the upcoming F1 and IndyCar race season, so - if I get the America 250 with HD will I get MSNBC and the COOKING channel, or is this part of the same problem.

Thanks so much.
frank

...if I get the America 250 with HD will I get MSNBC and the COOKING channel, or is this part of the same problem.

I get MSNBCHD on AT250 just fine. The issue is not your equipment, to anyone wondering about it.

So, if you're otherwise happy with the receiver, keep it. If not, get it replaced. Just realize that changing equipment will not fix this issue.

Thanks for keeping us posted Tony & Matt. I know I've been checking in regularly - just trying to keep this on the radar - we've been in a holding pattern for some time now, with no definitive answer. The latest info makes me hopeful we're close.

So the CSRs I was talking to last week don't know what they are talking about. We are supposed to get MSNBC and Cooking Channel in Dish America Gold? Am I correct?

So the CSRs I was talking to last week don't know what they are talking about. We are supposed to get MSNBC and Cooking Channel in Dish America Gold? Am I correct?

I apologize for misinformation. There has been some confusion internally and Matt and I have both run into "mixed" answers when asking about this issue in particular. It wasn't until yesterday, as I mentioned before, that the information solidified and agents got the pop up message saying that "We know about the issue and we are working to get it resolved". Even now, with that information, there is still time needed for that information to trickle everywhere so that the response is united. We are implementing a faster system of communication but with the employee base and alternating days off, time is still required. I did communicate with the powers that be to pop up the message morning and night so all agents get that same information as it looks like some may have gotten missed.

I think the response team is doing a great job here. I have to wonder, though. If the channels are supposed to be in those packages, why is it such a song and dance to get it activated in receivers. I would love a detailed explanation of why this is so complicated for the people that the response team is dealing with on this matter.

Check out this online chat I had with two CSRs last night over this issue:

“Welcome to DISH Network Chat.
xxxxx (ID: ***): How may I help you today?
nrholland: If you look at my notes in my account from earlier today, I was talking with someone about how come I am not receiving MSNBC HD (209) & Cooking Channel HD (113) in my Dish America Gold package. I have been reading that others are having this problem and that tech support is aware of it. You website says that MSNBC & Cooking Channel are part of the Dish America Gold package.
xxxxx (ID: ***): I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience this has caused you.
xxxxx (ID: ***): I am sorry to hear that you are having an issue. I'd be happy to resolve that for you.
nrholland: Thank you.
xxxxx (ID: ***): You're welcome.
xxxxx (ID: ***): In order to do proper troubleshooting we need you to have access to your equipment. Are you currently at home?
nrholland: Yes.
xxxxx (ID: ***): Can you please describe exactly what is on the television screen now? If there is an on screen message, please include the 3 digit number in the top right corner.
nrholland: MSNBC & Cooking Channel both are in "green". When I press the button to select them the three digit message is "371".
xxxxx (ID: ***): Have you experienced any severe weather, moved any of the equipment, or noticed any other changes that may have caused this problem?
nrholland: Nope. It has always been this way ever since I went back to the Dish America packages a month ago.
xxxxx (ID: ***): How long have you had this problem?
xxxxx (ID: ***): What is the model ID number of your receiver? The model ID is listed in the lower left hand corner on the front of your receiver. You can also find this by pressing the sys info button on your receiver. The model ID will be listed near the top of the system info screen or in field D..
nrholland: When I left the Welcome Pack about a month ago I went to Dish America, then D.A. Silver (which is supposed to have MSNBC), then D.A. Gold (which is supposed to have MSNBC & Cooking Channel). I currently have D.A. Gold.
xxxxx (ID: ***): Okay.
nrholland: 722. I have two of them. They both do the same thing.
nrholland: I have read that others have had their receivers changed, but that the problem has not been resolved. The CSR I spoke to this afternoon at work said that the receiver is not part of the problem...at least that's his opinion.
xxxxx (ID: ***): Yes.
xxxxx (ID: ***): I understand your concern Brad.
nrholland: Last week I had two regular CSRs tell me that MSNBC & Cooking Channel are NOT part of the D.A. packages, but I don't think they're correct.
xxxxx (ID: ***): Let me explain now.
nrholland: Okay.
xxxxx (ID: ***): Thank you.
xxxxx (ID: ***): Brad, actually these two channels MSNBC HD (209) & Cooking Channel HD (113) were not on your package.
xxxxx (ID: ***): They will be available in other packages.
xxxxx (ID: ***): As initially you got these channels as they are free trials.
nrholland: Why was I told this afternoon that they were supposed to be in the Dish America Gold package and they have been listed as in the Dish America packages (silver and gold) for months???
xxxxx (ID: ***): They are free trials earlier actually.
xxxxx (ID: ***): I'm sorry you were given conflicting information by previous agents; but I can assure you the information I'm giving you now is correct.
nrholland: Why are they still on the website for Dish Network as being in the Dish America packages?
xxxxx (ID: ***): The packages are available but on those as you have mentioned that channels as of now not available.
xxxxx (ID: ***): I will forward your input to concern department now.
nrholland: As I asked, why is your website as of now (3/7/11 @ 8:51 p.m. EST) saying that they are available? What if someone decides to change to them or are a new customer? He's going to find out that they, too, are not available to him even though your website says they are supposed to be in that particular package?
xxxxx (ID: ***): I'll send a special signal from my end to reauthorize the receiver. It may take a couple of minutes. Please do not change any channels meanwhile.
xxxxx (ID: ***): Could you please check it now for that details .
nrholland: Still green on both channels with #371 in upper right hand corner.
xxxxx (ID: ***): Please unplug your receiver from the outlet and leave it unplugged for 15 seconds. Plug it back in, you may have to power the receiver back on. This may take up to 2 minutes.
nrholland: I just plugged it back in.
nrholland: It's still in the process of coming back up...
xxxxx (ID: ***): For security purposes, can you please verify the last four digits of the Social Security Number on the account?
nrholland: ****
xxxxx (ID: ***): The steps we've tried so far haven't fixed our problem. I'm going to transfer your chat to an Advanced Technical Support agent for additional troubleshooting. They may need to replace your equipment or send a technician. I very much appreciate your patience. Please hold.
xxxxx (ID: ***) has left the session.
Please wait while we find an agent from the (17) Tier 2 Tech Support department to assist you.
Thank you for contacting Tier 2 Tech Support. I will be happy to assist you today. Please give me a moment to review the information you have already provided.
xxxxx (ID: ***): When you change to channel 209 while on the guide. Does it show that you are subscribed to the channel?
nrholland: No. It's in green with #371 in the upper right hand corner.
xxxxx (ID: ***): Now please press the ‘Guide’ button on your remote, on the top of the guide, where it says Dish Network List, is that list in All Chan or All Sub or All/My HD?
nrholland: ALL CHANNEL
xxxxx (ID: ***): Can you please press the menu button on the remote followed by 6 (System Setup), 1 (Installation), then 1(Point Dish) select Check Switch then Test (If Warning 504 appears please select yes to access the system info screen).
nrholland: Done
xxxxx (ID: ***): What numbers are listed in the Satellite row?
nrholland: What next?
xxxxx (ID: ***): What numbers are listed in the row that is labeled Satellite?
nrholland: 119, 129,110,118
nrholland: What do I do next?
xxxxx (ID: ***): Thank you. What does it say in the Trans row?
nrholland: OK on all four of them, both SAT 1 & 2.
xxxxx (ID: ***): Now select Done then Done again then cancel out of all menus please.
xxxxx (ID: ***): Is it Acquiring Signal?
nrholland: Yes.
xxxxx (ID: ***): Let me know when this message changes please.
nrholland: It's updating the program guide.
xxxxx (ID: ***): Let me know when this message is off the screen please.
nrholland: It's going slow.
xxxxx (ID: ***): That is normal.
nrholland: Okay. It's back up.
xxxxx (ID: ***): Are you still missing 209?
nrholland: Yes. It's still in green when in ALL CHANNELS.
nrholland: I've been reading in Satellite Guys forum that your engineering dept. is aware of this problem.
xxxxx (ID: ***): Try channel 9511.
xxxxx (ID: ***): Does it come in on that channel?
nrholland: No. It's in red.
xxxxx (ID: ***): Is Cooking Channel (113) the same message?
nrholland: Yes. It's in green.
xxxxx (ID: ***): Try it on 9447 as well please.
nrholland: It's in red.
xxxxx (ID: ***): Press Menu on your remote control 2 times please.
xxxxx (ID: ***): What is listed for the Receiver CAID number and Smartcard CAID number?
nrholland: Okay,
nrholland: R#####28406-08 and S#####73471-72. I have two 722s. They both have the same problem.
xxxxx (ID: ***): Thank you.”
xxxxx (ID: ***): What is listed for the Software Version?
nrholland: L674RJQB-N
xxxxx (ID: ***): What is listed after it says DNASP?
nrholland: 241 DshH05
xxxxx (ID: ***): Thank you for notifying us of the issue on channel 113. What I did was fill out a Technical Problem report for this issue. This report will be forwarded directly to our engineering department so they can research the issue further and if necessary, forward the information on to the channel broadcaster. This will allow us to resolve the issue quickly so you can continue enjoying all of your Dish Network programming.
xxxxx (ID: ***): Once resolved, the channel will turn right back on and play as normal, but there is not an exact time frame since engineering must research the issue further first.
nrholland: So I take it I am supposed to receive these channels in my package, Dish America Gold? I get really annoyed when one CSR says I am supposed to get them, and then another one says I am not.
xxxxx (ID: ***): MSNBC and Cooking HD should both come in your package.
nrholland: THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU!
xxxxx (ID: ***): No problem. You can find a complete channel listing of DISH America Gold at:”

nrholland,

Dish engineering is aware of the issue and working on it. The fact that they agreed that there is an issue is good to see, however, the ticket they opened seems kind of unneccesary at this point. They have the information they need, stated the issue at hand, have run it by programming and escalated it to engineering. Dish IRT will notify us of a resolution here.

I don't have Dish America, so this topic doesn't really apply to me personally, but what I really don't like is that customer service agents appear to try to "make up a story" when they don't know the answer to a question. I've had this happen to me a few times -- instead of admitting they need to dig deeper to get info, they will claim "it was a free trial", or "it isn't part of your package" just to get you off the phone or chat. I've seen this many times in the past.

I think this is why many of us are disgruntled with the level of customer service provided -- the goal appears to be to "get rid of the call" vs. actually providing help.

I think last night the first CSR was doing that to me. He was making up a story hoping I would accept the answer (MSNBC HD & Cooking Channel HD are NOT in the Dish America packages) and hang up. I suspected he was pulling that gag on me when I was "talking" to him. I had two CSRs do the same thing to me last week. I was not going to give up this time. I knew the information he had was wrong.

I wonder how much they pay these people. When they first come on their replies are so fast and the same words every time. They're not typing in the words themselves. They don't have time to type it in. They have certain keys on their keyboard to hit so that certain phrases are sent to you such as "How may I help you today?", "I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience this has caused you" and "I am sorry to hear that you are having an issue. I'd be happy to resolve that for you." That is not them typing the individual words in. They are hitting keys so that that particular phrases is sent to you.

They also appear to have a "script" that they follow. It says, "If the customer says...." give them this answer.

Truth is, I suspect most of these CSRs know very little about satellite t.v. They're paid to answer the call and follow the script. I wonder how much they get an hour to do that.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts