MT-2 RUN HOT

r10fret

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 20, 2008
FL
The section of my 222k with the MT2 OTA tuner module is burning hot on or near the ch 3/4 output which cannot be switched off in the menus and thus runs 24/7, after about 2 hrs tuned to an OTA channel on tv 1 or tv 2 I gets dropouts (no signal problems here) and it eventually fails completely to tune and to execute OTA timers, have been through three and I am on the forth now, not a ventilation problem either, nothing above the receiver and kept in 75 degree room. Receiver runs cool when MT2 is removed. I have posted about this before in various threads and have been accused of being a lier and/or thread hijacker by several skeptics. They know who they are.

KAB, whatchel1, saltidawg need not repy. We have heard it all before, dish can do no wrong, it must be me, just old info/rumors, etc, ... etc, .... etc.....

The section of my 222k with the MT2 OTA tuner module is burning hot on or near the ch 3/4 output which cannot be switched off in the menus and thus runs 24/7, after about 2 hrs tuned to an OTA channel on tv 1 or tv 2 I gets dropouts (no signal problems here) and it eventually fails completely to tune and to execute OTA timers, have been through three and I am on the forth now, not a ventilation problem either, nothing above the receiver and kept in 75 degree room. Receiver runs cool when MT2 is removed. I have posted about this before in various threads and have been accused of being a lier and/or thread hijacker by several skeptics. They know who they are.

KAB, whatchel1, saltidawg need not repy. We have heard it all before, dish can do no wrong, it must be me, just old info/rumors, etc, ... etc, .... etc.....

We may be the only ones having this problem but i know that my module is acting just as you have described.

I will reply and the reply is you are looking at the wrong thing. It isn't the module it is the power to that module in the 222k. There is something wrong in there that is supplying the power to it. So it is running hot and going bad due to what sounds like a filter cap going bad in the power supply that in the circuit going to it. You have gone thru 4 modules so far so it should indicate it is not the module but something else. Replace the 222k and then put in a module and I would almost be willing to bet it won't be a real problem anymore. We haven't called you a liar just that you have not figured out the real problem. That you are one of the few that has had this problem. Turning off the ch 3/4 output wouldn't make a bit of difference as it would still have the broadcom chip set running anyway. Turning it off would just kill the output and the power drain will remain the same.

Not so fast whatchel1, If you have been reading the entire saga you would know that I have taken my MT2 out and installed it in a relatives 222k which does not use a module, At a completely different location, and using a completely different antenna setup (just an indoor antenna ) feeding the OTA module, and it behaved the same way, overheated then dropped out, so no need to replace the 222k unless they are going to recall them all. The problem is in the 222k firmware or the MT2 itself. I notice knotle says that he got his module about six months ago, that is also shortly after I got my original (first) MT2 module, I am now on the 4th and in the last few days the forth is starting to drop out more and more.

BTW everybody my 222k still has V398 firmware, I notice that there have been several attempts made at newer versions (590 + 591) in the last few months but they were never fully rolled out to everybody for whatever reason, its like there is a problem they are trying to correct but it is not corrected yet.

Last edited:
Not so fast whatchel1, If you have been reading the entire saga you would know that I have taken my MT2 out and installed it in a relatives 222k which does not use a module, At a completely different location, and using a completely different antenna setup (just an indoor antenna ) feeding the OTA module, and it behaved the same way, overheated then dropped out, so no need to replace the 222k unless they are going to recall them all. The problem is in the 222k firmware or the MT2 itself. I notice knotle says that he got his module about six months ago, that is also shortly after I got my original (first) MT2 module, I am now on the 4th and in the last few days the forth is starting to drop out more and more.

BTW everybody my 222k still has V398 firmware, I notice that there have been several attempts made at newer versions (590 + 591) in the last few months but they were never fully rolled out to everybody for whatever reason, its like there is a problem they are trying to correct but it is not corrected yet.

Once the MT2 has been damaged then it will be a problem in anything that you put it in. As you can see by your thread so far the number that have had problems w/ the MT2 are few and far between.

You may have a problem that is existent in a small percentage. That doesn't make you are anyone else a liar. What we do on this forum is try to confirm problems as reported by ONE person and see how many on this forum have the same. I can tell you that for the TWO MT2's I have, and use often, I have had NONE of those problems, and I even checked for excessive heat after your original post, leaving it tuned to an OTA, and I really couldn't tell the difference. I think it may have gotten hotter, but, if so, not alarmingly so. So, the problem has not occured for me in the approx. 2 years I have had the MT2's and used them often for OTA. Several others have posted the same "no problem here." What does that mean? That you and at least one or two others do experience this problem means it is occurring in very few circumstances, which means it is very difficult to figure out the problem. All one can do in your case is try all the different scenarios to get the OTA tuner to function reliably, and that takes time and PATIENCE. You may have to swap the box and/or the tuner and who knows what else. But I certainly wish you luck and hope DISH can accommodate you in RMA's or technical visits.

TiVo also uses the very same MT2 for its older Series 3, HD, and HDXL and for its newest model, Premier and Premier XL, and NO problems of MT2 overheating or seeming excessively hot reported on the TiVo forums. It could be how Dish has things laid out as opposed to TiVo. Keeping an open mind, but if others are not having a problem accessing OTA or recording OTA, then it isn't a problem.

On the other hand, I can report LOTS of tuning and signal strength problems due to our STUPID ATSC, as opposed to DVB-T. UHHHH! I'm dealing with another ATSC PITA right now. It drives ME NUTS.

Please let us know when you have found the solution so that others don't have to go the long road you are blazing for the rest of us.

Last edited:
I'm curious how you get Dish to replace just the MT2 and not the entire receiver... I can understand talking them into replacing the module the 1st (or 2nd) time but eventually they're going to realize 'maybe the module isn't the issue'.

Dealer is the one replacing them, not dish, dealer has 1yr replacement policy.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)