mtn feeds fading

Status
Please reply by conversation.

sdsat

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 25, 2006
During football season I was able to pick up several feeds from the new mtn. network for MWC teams. All of them were on AMC2 and they came in 4:2:0 and 4:2:2. The signal was strong and easy to watch.

Now, for basketball season, I've had several games where I can only pick up a very, very weak signal on SBS-6 or AMC-2 that is unwatchable. The signal is in 4:2:0. I have fine reception on SBS-6 for ONN and other feeds.

I've started wondering what could be going on. Is it possible that they are doing some kind of spot beam feed? It is obvious that something changed between football season and basketball season. But, I can't figure it out.

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

If you look in the "FTA Shack" sub-section of this "Free To Air (FTA) Dicussion" section, you will find this:
Well, SatCruier DSR 10:mad:the original), Coship Blindscan, Satworks Blindscan, QUALI-TV. They all handle 4:2:0/MPEG audio, but some have trouble with the High Bitrate 4:2:0 which has been showing up.
this is in post# 30 by JohnH. And it may be your problem.

Al

they probably arent sending out alot of power. Remember, we're not the intended audience. the intended audience probably uses 10-15 foot dishes :)

I had no problems getting last nights game on SBS6 V even though Vertical footprint sucks in MN

they probably arent sending out alot of power. Remember, we're not the intended audience. the intended audience probably uses 10-15 foot dishes :)

I had no problems getting last nights game on SBS6 V even though Vertical footprint sucks in MN

Thanks Iceberg. Which game did you pick up just to be sure we're talking about the same thing? I smart searched SBS6 and found the BYU vs. TCU game, but it was such low quality that my unit just froze with a pixelated picture that almost looked scrambled. This is not the first time that has happened with a mtn basketball broadcast. I try to peak the signal by moving the dish, but it doesn't help. I'm only getting in the teens on quality.

Is it just a power issue? I thought the mtn games were being produced by Comcast in Philadelphia so I would think you'd have to have a large footprint. But, as you say, maybe it is the 10-15 foot dish problem. Could this be the odd bit rate thing?

Any ideas on solutions? I'm a MWC fan and I like to see the games if possible. Thanks.

yep same game

was a 55-60 on the Pansat for the duration I watched it (and that was about 1/2 way through the 2nd half). 30 is mainly the threshold on the Pansat

The Mtn is produced at the site and beamed up to the satellite so our dishes shuld pick it up. I know during FB games the signals were literally either booming (90+) or crap (35).

Sadly for UNM Lobos fans they get's the hard way by going to Comcast or try to TV DX the Mountan's raw feeds.:(

The UNM Lobos used to be on local over the air stations last year and now for the first time for those fans that can't afford to get pay tv services via DBS and Cable.:mad:

That's is not right, and very dumb move on their part on Mountain conferences and CSTV that started the new channel and so far DIrectv and Dish Network are not carrying the feed at this time.:(

I think there should be a law where free local over the air channels can carry the games and the pay TV can also carry the game but it must be 50:50 for both services.

Not everyone can afford to spend more money out of their pockets just to get the NM Lobos games.

It's to bad they cant crank up the transment power on AMC 2 so I can get the game on my FTA dish.:hungry:

I can only pick up a very, very weak signal on SBS-6 or AMC-2 that is unwatchable.
I have fine reception on SBS-6 for ONN and other feeds.

Any thoughts would be appreciated!
Since IceBerg and others are getting 'em, one must ask:
- what receiver are you using?
- what dish are you using?
- what LNB are you using?

Since IceBerg and others are getting 'em, one must ask:
- what receiver are you using?
- what dish are you using?
- what LNB are you using?

I have a pansat 2700
A 30 inch dish
An upgraded LNB, but I don't recall what it was (someone installed it for me).

Any ideas would be welcome. I suspect that it really is low power and that my only option is a larger dish (which isn't an option in my neighborhood). Ugh.

weird. I'm in MN and have pretty much the same setup and can get them. SBS6 vertical is really wacky footprint and can vary greatly here in MN

one day I can get oodles of channels, the next day nothing :(

weird. I'm in MN and have pretty much the same setup and can get them. SBS6 vertical is really wacky footprint and can vary greatly here in MN

one day I can get oodles of channels, the next day nothing :(

I'm in southern california. Do you think that could be the issue? I get ONN loud and clear on SBS6.

from the looks of the maps, yes it could be an issue for both of us.
1st pic is H polarity and 2nd is V...note the numbers. The lower the number the bigger the dish

The V here in Minnesota dang near cuts off at Minneapolis

Attachments

• sbs6_h.gif
    sbs6_h.gif
    21.8 KB · Views: 169
  • sbs6_v.gif
    sbs6_v.gif
    26.4 KB · Views: 158
I wish I could bottle up that feed and send it to you gentlemen. Living in the SE US, all the feeds seem to be aimed here :)

weird as there was a Mtn feed the last 2 nights (or 2 of 3) and both were at a stable 70-71 on the Coolsat

both V polarity channels

No wonder that's why I get such a poor signal level here in New Mexico...:(

I may have to upgrade to a 1.2 M dish but with a new car coming in mid summer may have to stick with my 90 CM dish for a sometime.:hungry:

Update

It appears to be a SBS-6 problem. I was able to pull in the mtn game Saturday that was on AMC2, but had trouble with the mtn feed on SBS-6. Argh. Wouldn't you know it that they've migrated 80% of the games to SBS-6 . . .

No wonder that's why I get such a poor signal level here in New Mexico...:(

I may have to upgrade to a 1.2 M dish but with a new car coming in mid summer may have to stick with my 90 CM dish for a sometime.:hungry:

I'm in Albuquerque, here's my first post and it's not a happy one.

I picked up a Starchoice dish and dual lnb setup, from a Canadian snow bird. The SC LNB is a quad output with integrated 22KHz switch so I was thinking no problems there. Now I read this thread and it looks like I'm not going to be able to get themtn feeds on SBS6 so I could watch MWC basketball. I guess I shouldn't be upset, the Lobos are awful this year. :-(

For what it's worth, the uniblock LNB sez SAMSUNG on the side. All the info about SAMSUNG lnbs show them as 0.7db.

what size is the dish? SC has 2 sizes of the quad
60e which is 32x20
75e which is 37x27

If you try, use the LNB with the 22k built in (sat B...the left one if standing behind the dish). You'll get a little better signal

what size is the dish? SC has 2 sizes of the quad
60e which is 32x20
75e which is 37x27

If you try, use the LNB with the 22k built in (sat B...the left one if standing behind the dish). You'll get a little better signal

It's a 60e, I'm still going to try, but it won't surprise me if signal & quality are low. Thanks for the suggestion, I'd read that somewhere else also. The LNB for SatB is optimized for the best signal because the Starchoice bird it points to is the weaker of the two.

Yeah something is going on with MTN on SBS 6. In the past couple of weeks, they have been unviewable for me in NC with old P*. No problems when on AMC 2.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)