Multi - Swap: Why Is This Not Bigger News.

bb83

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Jan 14, 2012
Missouri
I am surprised there is not more attention on this new feature. This adds the ability to use the swap / multi-swap from a Super Joey. Both viewers can now use swap. Before only the hopper viewer had this ability. With an OTA module you can have 3 turners on each using multi-swap or 2 going on one and 4 on the other. This will compete with Direct TV client boxes. C31's have had the ability to do double play (swap). There are some initial problems, pause does not always work, but this is only the first implantation. This also is a little like Tivo, which has the turners buffering the entire time. Now I will be able to swap turners on commercials and still keep live buffers while watching from the Super Joey. I am very happy for this added feature. I added a picture where you can see 3 buffering on the HWS and 3 on the Super Joey.

4293-1.jpg

Holy crap! When did Dish add this? Not as good as on the Hopper but close enough.

S502 is when I noticed it. If there is nothing recording on the Hopper you have the regular Joey linked to, you can have three satellite channels and the OTA channel if you have it for a total of four channels in the Multi-Swap.

Yes, this feature must be activated by user via menus. Yes, I really like this feature, especially for how the Joeys can use this feature. While it is not PiP, it is something close. I have found that with my system with NO Super Joeys, just regular Joeys, I have found that I can Multi-Swap a maximum of 4 channels, whether all sat channels or an OTA; it seems to make no difference: 4 channels max, even if the channels are any of the big 4 nets on the same transponder. But all 4 or any of the 4 can also include the big 4 nets. So, yeah that does have it function something like the TiVo Roamio (base 4 tuner model). This is an excellent feature and has worked quite well for me. It is a bit complex to work with at first, but once you get the hang of it, it can be easy to use. Think of it like the last channel banner that has the 4 last channels you've tuned to, only all those channels are buffering and you can swap between them. The Mult-Swap banner appears on the SIDE and you can add more channels by selecting the ADD Channel button. It will tune to a channel, but then you just tune it to the desired channel.

I really hope Dish continues with these really innovative features. I would also love it if Dish would also fix the known and annoying bugs. Also, our Hoppers seem to keep getting SLOWER and SLOWER. We have the original Hopper 1000's.

I wish they would STOP introducing any new features and FIX all the older things that they broke introducing these new features. Like name based recording feature for my ota sub channels. I can no longer set any timer except a manual timer for these since S438 . Also no protection icon on shows. Can't edit my folders or change them in any way and the Speed of the hopper is now slow as can be. I also have the original hopper.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)