Multi-unit dwellings???

j5races

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 7, 2004
Hi all,

My stepmother is the vice-president of a huge (about 300 apts.) retirement center. They want to get rid of their huge dish and setup a Dish network setup. Does dish have setups where the management can make a little profit and provide service to say 175 apartments? I have seen on here before talk of an apartment system with special recievers, but did not know how many units is required to get it, can i get it to install with my company, can management make profit or just E*. Thanks, Jon

you would probably want to set her up as an mdu/bulk account. you would have to set up a mini head-end. This consists of a rack of receivers in one room (like an electrical room). There will be one receiver for each channel in the rack. No boxes in individual rooms, tenants would just change the channels on their tv. Basically, it would be a mini cable company. Up front cost on 175 rooms will be substantial. Her monthly bill will be about $8 per room per month, so $1400 per month. Hope this helps.

ok, can she then charge what she wants for the service to her customers? say like 25 dollars a month per apartment?

Jon

Well, yes. But the wording has to be correct. Check with Dish Network but I believe the correct wording would be an "access charge". In other words, she can't resell the Dish Network programming, but she can charge an "access charge".

xcableguy said:
you would probably want to set her up as an mdu/bulk account. you would have to set up a mini head-end. This consists of a rack of receivers in one room (like an electrical room). There will be one receiver for each channel in the rack. No boxes in individual rooms, tenants would just change the channels on their tv. Basically, it would be a mini cable company. Up front cost on 175 rooms will be substantial. Her monthly bill will be about $8 per room per month, so $1400 per month. Hope this helps.

Xcableguy,

What would you do if there was no electrical room to put all the receivers in? What would you do in a garden style apartment set up where you had 20 buildings with about 20 apartments in each building? Also what would you use to tie all the receivers together and how would they feed all the units?

Thanks,

Well, I'm sure that you would need a location for all of the receivers. That is just mandatory. But after all of the channels are extracted by the receivers they are then likely combined into a single "cable tv compatible" signal and are all now available on a single cable. At this point its like cable TV. you then just run this cable feed to all of the buildings in your campus.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)