Multi view?

Miner

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
I tried to use PIP multi-view this morning, as soon as I selected it my screen went black. Regular (small, medium and side by side) work fine. My first thought would be an HDMI cable or TV issue, but wanted to ask for other possible causes? And why would it change between regular PIP and multi view?
Or did a recent s/w change break it?

i had the same problem, among others, a few weeks ago when i had dish. the black screen lead to a reboot every time we tried it. technician changed lnb, hdmi cables, inputs, etc... tech support or tech visits could never fix it. technician said it was likely a software problem affecting some hoppers. ive since moved on to directv.

Hey Jc; How is your Directv so far? Are you happy with their equipment? No more issues you had with Dish?

so far its been flawless. i have had zero issues with my hr54 setup. *fingers crossed it continues* ......compared to the nightmare I had with dish, it feels good to be back with directv. prior to dish was a directv sub for around 20yrs. the genie and the hopper both of their pros and cons. for me the ability for the genie to retain the buffer while accessing the dvr & apps is a huge plus. directv's double play is also a plus for me. as far as dish goes i do miss the channels directv don't have like get tv, pixl, comet, H&I, etc... i like the hoppers app integration like netflix & pandora. just wish it kept the paused tv while accessing it. directv should add hbomax app to their dvr's.

my dish experience was definitely not typical and im glad i went back to directv. some of my family members have been dish customers for well over 20yrs without a single issue. however, i was able to reach an agreement with dish regarding the ETF/cancelling procedure. given my extensive record of tech visits and phone calls, a rep from the corp office called & did apologize for my troubles and waived those fees.

i had the same problem, among others, a few weeks ago when i had dish. the black screen lead to a reboot every time we tried it. technician changed lnb, hdmi cables, inputs, etc... tech support or tech visits could never fix it. technician said it was likely a software problem affecting some hoppers. ive since moved on to directv.
Thanks for the feedback. I vaguely remember your post, but seem to remember you had a slew of other issues.
I’ve only had my H3 about 2 months, and I just moved back to my permanent house after some temporary housing. I had only used it once or twice at my temp location. I did move everything except the TV sand cabling from the temp to permanent setup (LNB, receivers and hub).

I may send a note to dish about it, and see what they can do. Not a big deal since everything else seems to be working. But I’ll be curious if a new version of SW fixes it.

Reactions: jct21
So I went to watch (or at least see how it looked) the Southern 500 (correction, Spring race) in 4K, and as soon as I tuned to 540, my screen went blank. I messed with my HDMI cables and if i would wiggle the HDMI cable / connection to the box I get TV in 4K. Also, multi view works (and my tv shows that multi view is 4K signal)!
I almost feel as if I have an old 622 with the questionable HDMI connector.
I will reach out to Dish for a replacement H3, and all the hassle to swap a box (mostly time x-ferring recordings!

Last edited:
So I went to watch (or at least see how it looked) the Southern 500 (correction, Spring race) in 4K, and as soon as I tuned to 540, my screen went blank. I messed with my HDMI cables and if i would wiggle the HDMI cable / connection to the box I get TV in 4K. Also, multi view works (and my tv shows that multi view is 4K signal)!
I almost feel as if I have an old 622 with the questionable HDMI connector.
I will reach out to Dish for a replacement H3, and all the hassle to swap a box (mostly time x-ferring recordings!
Just for jeepers, have you tried a different HDMI cable?

Reactions: charlesrshell
Just for jeepers, have you tried a different HDMI cable?
3 different cables. None of them fit tight in the connector. I found a sweet spot where I get a solid signal. Did a chat with tech support who elevated it to the next level. I’ve only had this receiver less than 3 months but only the last 3 weeks I’ve been connected to a 4K tv.

Dish tech came out and other than trying to convince me a new, fancy HDMI cable would solve my problem, once he realized the loose connection of the hopper was part of the problem, he swapped boxes.
Multi view is nice and I’m still not sure why the Hopper switches to 4K mode for it, but it does. I have watched some of the nascar race in 4K as well.

Multi view is nice and I’m still not sure why the Hopper switches to 4K mode for it, but it does.
4K gives you twice as many pixels in each direction (horizontally and vertically). So, by dividing the screen in half in both directions (creating quadrants) the screen can still display the full 1080p resolution (for HD channels) in each quadrant.