Multiple Dishes for Newbies

Endorphin

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 21, 2005
I don't quite have all the technical knowledge that you all possess, so hopefully someone can let me in.

I have the HDPak on 110/119, with a Dish 500. Just about every posts says I will need a 61.5 dish to receive those, which is fine because I can do the free dish thing since there's one local channel in my market on the 61.5.

My question is more on how those channels are fed into my house. If I now run the 61.5 feed into my living room (where I have my 811), will I lose some of the channels that I have already on 110/119?

Also, I live in Southeast Texas. How can I findout that I "for sure" have line-of-sight to the 61.5 bird?

Sorry for the remedial questions, and thanks in advance for responses and follow-ups (I'm sure I'll be confused).

I can answer part of that...

When you add the second dish, you also get a switch installed that effectively combines the signals from the two dishes and send both thru the lines that you already have installed going to each receiver in your house. You don't have to physically run another line from the new dish to each receiver (which I think is what you were thinking above). When all is said and done, you get ALL of the subscribed content from BOTH dishes. :)

I'm not sure which switch is needed or suggestions for the LOS issue...I still have to cross those bridges myself! When you call Dish to get the second dish...the installation of the second dish is supposed to include whatever switch is needed to combine the dishes. I'll have to pay for mine though...no locals on 61.5.

Currently Dish charges about $100 to install a second dish if they are not compelled to install it because you have some local channels on it. This $100 covers the cost of all the equipment you might need.

Now it is possible that they could have a special offer with programming commitment to have a reduced price when they finally have the VOOM channels available for order.

Forgive the stupid follow-up question...

I have Waco locals, which has 1 channel on 61.5. When I call DishNet to get that 61.5 dish installed, what *exactly* should I say? (as in "I need the free dish I'm entitled to so I can get the new HDs" vs "I want the free dish for my local channel on 61.5")

tia

Tell them you miss your favorite local station and you want to watch the channel K... or whatever the channel is called on 61.5. DISH will install it for free for you.

Endorphin said:
Forgive the stupid follow-up question...

I have Waco locals, which has 1 channel on 61.5. When I call DishNet to get that 61.5 dish installed, what *exactly* should I say? (as in "I need the free dish I'm entitled to so I can get the new HDs" vs "I want the free dish for my local channel on 61.5")

tia

You should say "I want the free dish for my local channel on 61.5" and order the Voom package after the dish is installed.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts