Multiple EHDs

myron243

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 29, 2007
Kingwood, Texas
I thought I remembered someone posting the 922 would recognize both USB ports at the same time. I tried and it found both EHDs. I didn't like having one plugged in the front all the time so today i got a $13 4 port hub at the Shack. Plugged both EHDs into it and plugged it into the back port. They are both there and accessible. Guess I need to get 2 more so I can use all the ports on the hub
lol.gif

Also my Seagate that the 622 couldn't wake up works fine on the 922. Makes me very happy. I'll bevery, very happy when we can download to an EHD.

Way to go Myron243, I read these topics every single day and I never have seen any info on your topic. and find, I just tried this and you are absolutely right it does show external device 1 & 2 this is the best thing since high speed internet. In my closing I once again will say Way to go Myron 243.

Update: I bought 2 more 1T EHDs today and I now see 4 EHDs on the hub whether plugged into the back USB port or the front one. When I was first setting them up a bit ago I only saw 2 on the hub. Unplugged one and plugged into the front. Saw it and 2 of the others. Unplugged the hub, plugged all 4 EHDs into it and plugged it into the front. Saw all 4. Said 'hmmm, wonder what's going on". Unplugged from the front and replugged in the back. Saw all 4. I did a red button reset each time. Maybe this is something else the 922 is a bit slow about. I dunno. Don't care because I can see 4 EHDs. I will definitely be a happy sub when I can write to them from the 922. Currently I use the 2 622s to grab recordings I think I will want to keep.

Still don't know how many total the 922 will support. However if someone wants to know bad enough they can send me several and I'll be happy to supply the multi-port ;) Actually, 3 1Ts and a 500 M gives me beaucoup (as my friends on the other side of the Sabine would say) space.

Update on the update: When I turned the 922 on this morning it was only recognizing 3 of the 4. I tried a red button reset and that didn't work. I tried unplugging the multi-port and rebooting via a red button reset and that didn't work. Finally I unplugged each EHD USB one at a time and turned the 922 off via remote like a normal shut down. Waited a few and then turned it on. When it cam up I started plugging them in one at a time and letting the 922 find them all. Doing that it showed all 4. I turned it off an hour or so later and when I turned it back on a short time ago all 4 were still showing. It must have something to do with the nightly reboot???? I may put them all on their own RF controlled outlet and just turn them on as I need them. This was mostly just for fun.

Out of curiosity I called tech support yesterday to see if there was a maximum number of EHDs that would work. The CSR wasn't aware that an EHD in each port would be recognized, let alone a multi-port set up.

I had 4 working last night. The 922 saw and played from all 4 after starting up from stand by. After the overnight reboot only 3 were available. I did the unplug all and replug one at a time and all 4 were working. Put it in stand by for a bit and they were all there and working when I started it up. Did a front panel reset and only 3 were there again. My conclusion is any reset and the 922 will only recognize 3 of the 4. And not necessarily the same 3 each time.

After I got them all 4 working through the rear USB port via the hub I plugged one in the front USB port. The "You have plugged in ...." message came up. I clicked OK and brought up the My Media screen. There was no drop down menu to select the drives. It was only showing the internal drive. My conclusion from that was 4 is the max it can deal with.

I'll try again after the next software update.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts