Multiple Hopper 3's?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

VirtualDataBase

Original poster
Aug 3, 2012
IL
I currently have 3 Hopper 2's , 3 joeyV1.0 and 3 WifiJoeys.
The latest software update has made the joeys pretty lagging/useless
Also the MOCA config has become sproadic.

I'm considering upgrading to Hopper 3's and newer Joey's (where needed)

However, I'm wondering if it's even possible.

I would need 2 Hopper 3's... right?

Any wiring diagrams/advise appreciated..

Thanks in advance!!

You may have your work cut out for you. Dish policy generally will not allow multiple Hopper 3s on a single account at present. As it stands currently, the new DPH42 switch required to make such an install work with a single dish has not been released yet, so the only technical way to make it work is with a multiple dish setup. There are a couple folks on the board who have successfully talked Dish into activating multiple H3s in this manner, but it will likely take going above the regular CSRs to get it done.

If you do get that approved, the decripit regular Joey 1s will be replaced with the newer Joey 2. The Wireless Joeys will still work fine with the H3.

Afraid I don't have the particulars on how they accomplished it. I only have the one H3 myself. :D

Maybe one of those folks who did it will see this thread and chime in. Otherwise, you could shoot a PM to one of the DIRT staff when they are online and see what happens. On the main forum page, you'll see them listed on the left side under "Helpers Online Now" when they are on.

Reactions: charlesrshell
DIRT would be those whose names are in red on that list. That said, you might well be able to go with a single Hopper 3 because it has 16 tuners. It would all depend on why it is that you have 3 Hopper 2s today.

Yes it can be done. I have 2 1000.2 dishes with western arc lnb's. One dish is on the side of the house that was installed back in 2005 by dish and the other dish is on a poll that I installed in March of this year. I ran 3 dish approved cable's from the new dish to the grounding the block and a ground wire. In April I called up dish to lower my package from the top 250 with locals to the flex with news plus locals, and to upgrade from a 722 receiver and several 211's to 2 hopper 3 and several joeys. I bought one of the hopper 3 and one joey off the internet. I told the dish csr that I had 6 TV's and that I had purchased one hopper 3 and a joey and that they were new. When the dish tech came out to do the install the tech had one hopper 3 and 5 joeys for the whole house.This was screw up by the dish csr which was no surprise to me. Once I explained to the dish tech what I wanted to do he said that should not be a problem will just half to call in and modify the work order. Also this was his first 2 hopper 3 install. To make every thing work the lnb's were change out to 2 wa hybrid lnb's 2 solo hubs and one splitter. The dish on house runs the hopper 3 and joey that I purchased for the basement rooms, and the dish on the pole runs the other hopper 3 and joey's supplied by Dish for the rest of the house. My monthly bill was lowered from $195 to $107 a month with free HBO for 6 months. This is all on one account and I had to pay an up grade fee of $150 to get the hopper 3 The Dish tech Ryan was very nice and knew what he was doing. The install took 3 hours and every thing activated with no problems.

Thanks XR7G but I do not want 2 separate dishes.
Primarily because the 2 h3's cannot see each other this way.
In fact. I want to be sure my 'future' install would be 2 H-3's and the rest of the Joeys able to see both H3's as well as both H3's seeing each other.

In fact. I want to be sure my 'future' install would be 2 H-3's and the rest of the Joeys able to see both H3's as well as both H3's seeing each other.
You may want to wait for the future 42 switch to be released and that should be sooner rather that later. The 42 switch will allow 2 Hopper 3s with one dish...

Reactions: charlesrshell
If you interconnect the MOCA ports on the two hubs ALL Joeys will see both Hoppers and Hoppers will see each other.

Reactions: JSheridan

If you interconnect the MOCA ports on the two hubs ALL Joeys will see both Hoppers and Hoppers will see each other.

You would have to do what kwindrem said even if you're using one dish and the new switch because the switch is for sat signals and does not combine MoCA.

Reactions: VirtualDataBase
You would have to do what kwindrem said even if you're using one dish and the new switch because the switch is for sat signals and does not combine MoCA.

Now that the dph42 is out... can someone please update me as to WHAT equipment I need and how to get DIRT involved to facilitate because it's worse than ever now.. keep being told "YOU CAN'T"

Help..

Here you go
dp6.png

Reactions: jkmoon23

HipKat,

I currently have a Hopper3 with one regular and one 4k Joey. Dish is sending me a replacement Hopper3 and I was considering keeping the old one and having two Hopper3's. My current setup has one line from the dish to a hybrid solo hub and then to splitters and off to the Hopper and Joey's. What would I need to add the other Hopper? Per your diagram it looks like I would need a hybrid 42 switch, another hybrid solo hub, and a power inverter? Do I need three lines from the dish to the switch or will the one I already have be enough? Is there anything else I would need to order?

Also, do you know how I get dish to register the replacement Hopper while keeping the old one active?

Thanks in advance for your help!

HipKat,

I currently have a Hopper3 with one regular and one 4k Joey. Dish is sending me a replacement Hopper3 and I was considering keeping the old one and having two Hopper3's.

If they are sending you a replacement H3, then they are expecting the current H3 to be returned and your shipment will come with directions on how to return it (or otherwise be charged for it). Out of curiosity, why are they replacing the H3 if it is still running in a manner in which you would consider keeping it running along side the new one?

Incidentally, if that was a typo, and your existing Hopper is an older model Hopper (H1 or HWS), then Dish actually won't allow a mixed environment of older Hopper models with a H3.

Oh...and Welcome to SatGuys!
:welcome

It died on us and erased all our recordings. It recovered itself and they said that it "should" be okay from here on out, but I insisted on getting a new one out. I was hoping that they would let me keep it and pay the extra service fee and use it in another room. If not, I was thinking of buying another one on eBay.

I suppose the could "BUY" one by not returning the first one, perhaps Dish would upgrade his antenna system to support both? SURE!

Reactions: rmoore3d

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)