Multiple receivers while camping

Status
Please reply by conversation.

GoWulfpack919

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Oct 14, 2009
NC
For the last year, I have tailgated/camped using my HD receiver and portable dish using a SWM SL3 LNB and power adapter. No problems. Now, I want to get creative and add an additional SD receiver/tv for my setup.

Given my SWM LNB has only one coax output jack, how can I use my portable dish to connect both an SD and HD receiver throughout my campsite? I have an SD tv inside that I want to utilize in addition to the HD tv I've been using on the outside.

Can I just use a simple splitter to run coax from the SWM LNB line to each receiver? I know I'll have to use that whatchamacallit on the end of the coax going to the SD receiver (name of the device escapes me at the moment but it converts the HD signal to SD, I think). If so, will any ole splitter do? I have several around here.

Any advice or instruction is appreciated.

For the last year, I have tailgated/camped using my HD receiver and portable dish using a SWM SL3 LNB and power adapter. No problems. Now, I want to get creative and add an additional SD receiver/tv for my setup.

Given my SWM LNB has only one coax output jack, how can I use my portable dish to connect both an SD and HD receiver throughout my campsite? I have an SD tv inside that I want to utilize in addition to the HD tv I've been using on the outside.

Can I just use a simple splitter to run coax from the SWM LNB line to each receiver? I know I'll have to use that whatchamacallit on the end of the coax going to the SD receiver (name of the device escapes me at the moment but it converts the HD signal to SD, I think). If so, will any ole splitter do? I have several around here.

Any advice or instruction is appreciated.

You'll need to use a SWM Splitter.

Here is where the Non SWM set up works easier, as you have 4 outputs from the LNB on a Non SWM set up.

And it will only work if the SD receiver is SWM-compatible (D12)...

Here is where the Non SWM set up works easier, as you have 4 outputs from the LNB on a Non SWM set up.
Adding a splitter is almost certainly easier than running multiple cables from the dish.

It probably isn't the case here, but if there are H24 or HR24 receivers involved, you may need a carefully placed band stop filter.

Thanks for the replies. I have an HR-24/200 and a D12 that I plan on using since that is what I have in my house (SWM LNB on my roof).

So it sounds like a need a specific "SWM splitter" instead of an everyday splitter.

One more thing......should I put the power adapter for the HD between the LNB and splitter or between the splitter and the HD receiver?

I don't think that it matters, however, what does matter is paying attention to the splitter as it tells you where to put the cables, in and out.

I thought band stop filters were only needed if MRV is also installed.
The band stop filter is to keep DECA signals from going where they shouldn't. DECA should never be confused with MRV.

Where there is an H(R)24, there is DECA (unless it shuts off absent other DECA equipment). If there isn't a BSF on the D12 at home, there probably doesn't need to be one on the road.

Wouldn't he need a bsf only if there is internet where he is camping? I doubt they would have access when tailgating!

The band stop filter is to keep DECA signals from going where they shouldn't. DECA should never be confused with MRV.

Where there is an H(R)24, there is DECA (unless it shuts off absent other DECA equipment). If there isn't a BSF on the D12 at home, there probably doesn't need to be one on the road.

I have one on my D12 here at the house so I'll just leave it on there when I go on the road.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)