Multiswitch or Diplexer problem - any ideas?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

SpokanePhil

Original poster
Sep 23, 2004
Hi, I've got a problem that has me stumped and I'm hoping someone smarter then me (that means you) could offer a suggestion.

Here's the equipment:
3 LNB eliptical dish
5x8 powered multiswitch
RG-6 cable run from multiswitch to a DirecTivo (DVR40) - qty. 2
RG-6 cable run from multiswitch to a DirecTv D-10 receiver - qty. 1
result=good signal strength (70's & 80's) on both boxes for 110 and 119 satellites.

Here's the problem:
I want to add the feed from the OTA antenna to an existing cable run. I have attached the antenna directly (bypassing everything) to the stand alone HD STB and it works fine. However, when I attach the OTA to the antenna input on the multiswitch and add the diplexer on the other end, I get critically dimished signal numbers on the 110 sat and zero on the 119 sat with either the DirecTivo or D-10 receiver.

Here's what I've tried:
Confirmed I've attached the cables to the correct ports on the diplexer
Replaced the diplexer and the multiswitch
Eliminated the multiswitch and put a diplexer on both ends
Tested a home run from the LNB to the diplxer (skipping the multiswitch)
Replaced all the coax ends

Knowing myself, I'm inclined to think it's "pilot error", but I can't figure it out. I'd appreciate any ideas as to what I'm doing wrong or have overlooked. Thanks!

Just to know or add to the equation; what is the make & model of the diplexer tried? Were the the same?

Your saying before adding in the OTA your non-H20 boxes read as low as 70 in the signal range? That seems mighty low to be to start with.

Last edited:
Charper1,

The multiswitch and diplexers are Terk.

I'm sorry, my signal meter range statement is a little misleading; by 70's I meant on a few transponders and they were all high 70's. Mostly what I've seen on the DirecTivo meter has been mid 80's. As you can tell by my screen name, I'm in Spokane Washington (eastern side of the state) and I was told by the installer back in 2004 that my signal strength was good for our latitude.

Strangely, I don't need the influence of food on my hands/keyboard to generate some pretty "creative" spelling. ;)

I had to read this one a few times before I could figure this one out. I really mean it, this was a headscratcher!

Your diplexer isn't multisat compatible. It isn't passing the 22 kHz tone needed for the box to select a different satellite other than 101. No 22 kHz tone, no 110 or 119. :( Believe it or not, there are still a few diplexers out there that do that and leave it to Terk to put 'em out!

You can PM me your contact information and I can have the training supervisor in Spok hook you up with a diplexor or two. Or if worse comes to worse, I can FedEx you a couple of diplexers myself. Free of charge.

BTW, I would seriously consider switching out that 5x8 for a regular 'ol 4x8 and diplex straight into the coax line your OTA tuner is using. 5x8's are notorious for their signal loss and you can actually save about 6-7 dB on the UHF band by using two diplexers one line with a 4x8 vs. the 5x8. It is a little known fact that DirecTV never 'officially' approved the 5x8 for their parts list- mostly because of how "lossy" they were vs. a 4x8.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)