Multiswitch or??

Status
Please reply by conversation.

JDizzy

Original poster
Apr 8, 2006
I hope someone can help me out...

I have an oval 3 LNB dish that has the multiswitch builtin..

I am running 1 Tivo HD box and a regular Tivo box which each need 2 satelitte feeds each.

I want to add a 3rd regular box (not a recorder or tivo) with 1 satelitte feed input but am at a loss as to what I have to do to get the feed for new box??

Do I need to put a multi switch on 1 of the wires coming out of dish and then run 1 to new box and other to original box or?

Thanks

suggestions

I saw the multiswitch below on ebay and was wondering if it might work for my installation?
My cable runs are short (less then 50 feet each) but I must install the multiswitch outdoors which also means that power is not available and it will be exposed to the elements

(from ebay)
Zinwell 6x8 Wide-Band Multi-Switch, for use with Ka/Ku Dish Antennas.can combines 2 dishes, one for international dish and regular. Supports DIRECTV wide band Ka/Ku Dishes, is compatible with all other DIRECTV Dish Antennas, DIRECTV Ka/Ku MPEG-4 High Definition Receivers, and also compatible with all other DIRECTV Receivers

Or, does any one have any suggestions as to what brand and configuration might work best....

PS - I am on a budget (hence searching ebay for solutions)

JDizzy said:
I hope someone can help me out...

Do I need to put a multi switch on 1 of the wires coming out of dish and then run 1 to new box and other to original box or?

Thanks

This last sentence sounds like you're asking about splitter, not a switch. You cannot split the feed coming from the dish into multiple receivers.

As directvfreak said, you need a 4 x 8 or 5 x 8 switch and ALL 4 feeds from the dish go into that. Then you have 8 outputs. The switches aren't that expensive, I would get either an Eagle Aspen or a Zinwell. The 4 x 8 is just the 4 feeds from the dish.

The 5 x 8 is the 4 feeds as well as a feed for an OTA antenna. But if you ever upgrade to an AT9 dish, you have to replace the switch and you can't add the OTA feed.

Not splitting signal

Yup,
Found out that you cannot split the signal the hard way.....

I have looked at both brands you mentioned but cannot seem to find one that is not powered...

Do you know any model numbers or suggestions...

Thanks

I am actually taking this feed into the Directv box, then into a video capture to external hard drive.
I have a networked dvd player that serves as a media extender that I can stream from computer to tv...works great Kinda like tivo but no additional costs

Sorry, don't know of any of that capacity that aren't powered. These switches have a power port that uses rg6, so the power supply could be anywhere and fed to the switch over a separate run of cable.

Yeah, just realized that you could use coax to run power so makes it alot easier to run power...

Sounds like the EAGLE ASPEN S-4180-GX 5x8 will be the candidate.

Well, now to order and start getting various cable ready to run..

Thanks boyz, it's been a pleasure!
JD

real deal of multiswitches

if you have a 3lnb dish because you need it for 110 or 119 the only multiswitches you can use is 4x8 5x8 or 6x8. 6x8 is a good choice because it doesn't need to be powered

Which 6 x 8 are you looking at that doesn't need to be powered? The Zinwell? It says "Includes power supply"

I thought you always needed a powered switch when spliting an HD signal? Or atleast thats what my installer told me (made me shell out 60 for one).

I haven't seen any for that range that AREN'T powered. The only switch approved for use with the AT9 dish is powered.

I install the zinwell 6x8 rated for the ka ku bandwith everyday. It does not need to have a power suppy hooked up. It has 6 inputs 4ports for 18 13 18 13 and two flex ports for the 95 and 72.5 sats. and 8 outputs. The four ports need to have lines from the oval3 or 5lnb dish going to them to work properly. the two flex ports don't need anything in them. just leave the plastic caps on. it can be installed outdoors but i wouldnt recommend it. if you do have to i would make sure to use some di-electric grease and tighten the fittings good. be careful not to over tighten because you can break the switch. I would say hand tight and a 1/4 turn of a wrench

Okay, I yield to the man with experience. But can you tell me why it has one if you don't need it?

it doent come wtih one maybe it is buit in and gets its power from the reciever. give me a few and ill go grab one and look into it

No, you're right, I'm wrong. I was looking at the wrong switch when I said that. The WB68 is powered by the receivers. Sorry for the confusion.

(I HATE when that happens):rolleyes:

here are some scans from the installation guide

Attachments

• 6x8 2.jpg
    6x8 2.jpg
    254.4 KB · Views: 161
  • 6x8 1.jpg
    6x8 1.jpg
    267.1 KB · Views: 183
Thanks, that clears up a couple of other questions I had in the back of my mind.

Appreciate your trouble.

no problem. ran out to my van for one and it made me realize what a nice day it is and that i shouldnt be wasting it inside

Status
Please reply by conversation.