Multiswitch problems

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

baldgrenader

Original poster
Apr 5, 2010
Madison, WI
Hello,

About a year ago we signed up for Directv, moving from Dish network for programming reasons. We had a standard receiver on our main floor and an HD/DVR in our basement. We've been having problems with the HDTV in the basement and decided to upgrade to a DVR receiver, purchasing it at Best Buy. I didn't want to pay the $50 install fee and thought I'd figured out how to do it myself but it looks like I was wrong.

I purchased a satellite multiswitch and installed it according the diagrams I found online. See the images below:

sat1.jpg

sat2.jpg

The original installation used the silver bracket to the left in the bottom picture. I used the same coax cables. The top two cables go to our standard DVR and the bottom pair of cables go to the HD/DVR. At first it appeared like everything worked fine since I have a picture on both televisions, but now we've discovered problems.

> On the standard DVR, none of the local stations come in but the rest of the channels work fine. We can also watch one channel and successfully record on the other. It's an R16 receiver, software: 0x1274

> On the HD/DVR, neither the local stations nor any HD channels come in. Regular definition channels come in fine. The receiver is an HR22/100, software: 0x3a8, Wed 3/10, 2/26 am.

Directv phone support would give me no help beyond suggesting a professional installer come out. After running through resetting the receiver a couple times, the phone tech said that maybe a software download would help and that I could expect a message to download new software in the near future. Several days have come and passed and no download (not that I was really expecting one).

Can someone with more expertise help me out? Is the multiswitch not the right kind? Or is there something else I've hosed up?

Thanks in advance for any help. I realize I might not have provided all the necessary info, so please let me know what other info might be needed.

Wrong switch. You need the Zinwell WB68. Connect the four lines from the dish to the WB68 using the Sat A and B inputs. Ignore the flex ports as you don't need those. The switch has 8 outputs to use with the receivers. The HR2x series DVRs require BBCs to be used (except for the new HR24).

BTW, what dish do you have? It needs to be a Slimline for reception of the HD sata.

you need another line from the dish, keep the "bracket" as you called it< ground block >, and run the 4th line to the dvr.

that switch won't work here, the one in your picture. you dont need a switch for just having an hddvr and a standard dvr. but jdspencer is correct, you could use a zinwell wb6x8.

SO, if you are comfortable getting up and running a line from the lnb, there you go. otherwise call a tech out.

Actually, he needs two more lines run from the dish (if the dish has four outputs) as the middle one on that switch is for diplexing OTA.

And if the OP doesn't need more than 4 tuners then the switch isn't needed. Just more lines.

lets make this simple here, you need your 4 lines off you dish, hook those up to the ground block the installer had in place.

get rid of that 3x4 you got there, and just run an extra line from that ground block to where ever you put that new dvr. make enough sense?

He's clearly got a kaku5 and doenst need a switch unless he has another tv he hasn't mention in his post.

Thanks for your input. It sounds like if I have two DVRs, I need four lines coming down from the dish. We have an incredibly steep roof and I don't have a ladder near tall enough so I'd need an installer to come out.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)