Multiswitch question

Status
Please reply by conversation.

panchopantera

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Sep 21, 2004
I have a DirecTV system with Tivo. I have one antenna with dual LNBs, but only one cable runs from one LNB to the room where the DTV system with Tivo is. The other LNB supplies another system in another room. I wish to be able to see one channel while recording another, which means supplying two satellite inputs in the reciever.

I have a Dynex DS-Mx102 multiswitch, with two satellite inputs, one antenna input and four outputs. I planned on having this switch in the room and spliting the current cable in two, to provide for the two satellite inputs...

However, while reading this forum, I am not sure if this can be done.. One input has 13/14V and the other 17/18V, which confused me.

Does this mean that I have to connect both LNBs, one to the 13/14V input and the other to the 17/18V input, and then I can have 4 outputs, or can I just simply connect one LNB to either of those inputs and split the signal in two?

Thanks for your help.

you need to run both lines from the LNB to the multiswitch, and then hook up the 3 or 4 lines to go to the receivers. You cannot "split" the line and jump it to both inputs...wont work :)

One line on the LNB is defaulted at 13, which is vertical polarity. The other defaults to horizontal (18). The multiswitch makes it so you can use more than 2 receivers on one LNB

Iceberg said:
One line on the LNB is defaulted at 13, which is vertical polarity. The other defaults to horizontal (18).
For clarity's sake, D* (and some other DBS providers) use left and right hand circular polarity, not vertical/horizontal polarity.

So I guess I cant take a $10 two way splitter from Walmart and split one of the cables to another room? I need one of them expensive multiswitchs?

Ill have to look around, I just did a quick search at Bestbuy and it only came up with 3. All in the $70 above. Although it would give me a excuse to go buy a HD ready dish! :p

you could do that...get a Phase III dish

That has 4 outputs and would be ready in case you got HD down the road :)

Understood... so, one LNB to either 13/14V and the other LNB to the 17/18V input, right? there's no difference as to which LNB to a specific input..
Thanks

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts