Murdoch Meltdown

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Dishman Dan

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 22, 2008
N/A
I saw on on the news this morning that Murdoch's empire could crumble soon.

There could be big changes with the FOX network possibly even network ownership.

Could this possibility "open up" more to FTA???

This crumble could affect other Murdoch holdings in the US too.

A good outcome could be some decent shows on the FOX network! ;)

Please forgive my ignorance on this issue, but how could this improve FTA? Not trying to step on anyones toes, just asking.

I was dreaming a little...

If the FOX network was ever sold and possibly not in one piece,

perhaps the new owner(s) will not have deep enough pockets like

Murdoch to keep things sealed up so tight. And maybe some smaller

stations/broadcasters would not be forced to encrypt.

Remember those Equity channels we enjoyed? ;)

If the FOX network was ever sold and possibly not in one piece,
perhaps the new owner(s) will not have deep enough pockets like
Murdoch to keep things sealed up so tight. And maybe some smaller
stations/broadcasters would not be forced to encrypt.
you do realize Fox only owns 25 stations? The other 175 affiliates are owned by someone else.
And most of those folks have ways of transmitting the signal without satellite ;)

Remember those Equity channels we enjoyed? ;)
Equity was unique as they ran EVERYTHING from Little Rock in most cases. I dont know of any other owner that does that. Yes there are some areas where part of the station is run by someone remotely but each station runs its own (the North Dakota NBC comes to mind...they use fibre to run between the 4 stations in North Dakota)

you do realize Fox only owns 25 stations? The other 175 affiliates are owned by someone else.
And most of those folks have ways of transmitting the signal without satellite ;)

That still leaves a little bit of hope if it did fall apart!

Most, like you stated, have a way of transmitting without satellite, which could mean that the rest

do not have a way to transmit without satellite!

If something drastic did happen to FOX then a bunch of stations (affiliates) possibly

could loose their network programming and they would have to switch to something else.

Also if the network became cash strapped then some owned stations could be sold.

All of these thoughts come out of what ABC mentioned about his empire will not be the

same after Murdoch does step down someday whether due to the scandal or not.

I think that I will stick to watching the weather gal in the morning. ;)

Last edited:
Most, like you stated, have a way of transmitting without satellite, which could mean that the rest do not have a way to transmit without satellite!
Most affiliates dont transmit via satellite as they only handle the local area. The others use other methods (IP, fibre, microwave) to transmit the signal to other areas.

If something drastic did happen to FOX then a bunch of stations (affiliates) possibly
could loose their network programming and they would have to switch to something else.
highly unlikely. In markets where Fox is a subchannel those affiliates wanted Fox because of the programming. I now the one station down the road is a one channel market (CBS). When they were going to add a subchannel they were originally going to add CW. But then they went to Fox and got the affiliate for them instead due to the programming

Also if the network became cash strapped then some owned stations could be sold.

If that is the case and someone else grabs them and can put subchannels on them that would be nice. Fox owned stations (and the My affiliates they own too) they dont put subchannels on them unless they own both (like they do in Minneapolis). Then they cross channels where the SD feed is on a subchannel.

SKY in the UK has about 10% the viewers of BBC . Murdock is constantly harping on the government getting away from BBC. Oddly, seems like the people want to watch BBC, the government supported network.... Go figure >>>

Status
Please reply by conversation.