Must Carry Question

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Mr Zero

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Oct 7, 2005
I have DISH and I called them about why they don't carry a local channel in my area (St. Louis) WPXS 13/KUMO 51. The person I talked to had no information about why it was not carried. So, here is my question: what is the deciding factor about what stations a satellite company will carry? I found an FCC ruling about this station in which the FCC forced a local cable company to carry the channel and wondered if the ruling held for satellite companies as well (I tried to post the link but I don't have enough posts yet).

Thanks in advance for any info.

Mr Zero said:
I have DISH and I called them about why they don't carry a local channel in my area (St. Louis) WPXS 13/KUMO 51. The person I talked to had no information about why it was not carried. So, here is my question: what is the deciding factor about what stations a satellite company will carry? I found an FCC ruling about this station in which the FCC forced a local cable company to carry the channel and wondered if the ruling held for satellite companies as well (I tried to post the link but I don't have enough posts yet).

Thanks in advance for any info.

wow, have lived near st louis all my life, installed dish for about 4 years now just south of st louis, and i had cable all growing up... still, i have never heard about a channel 13 in this area... lol, you learn something new everyday

Here's a little info on those 2 stations:

WPXS
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.
Jump to: navigation, search
WPXS and KUMO-LP are the two i TV (formerly Pax) affiliates serving Southern Illinois and the Saint Louis, Missouri, metropolitan area. WPXS serves two DMA areas, St. Louis and Paducah.

WPXS is based out of Mount Vernon, Illinois and broadcasts to Southern Illinois on channel 13. The call letters of WPXS stand for Pax Southern Illinois.

KUMO-LP is the satellite station of WPXS. It serves the St. Louis metropolitan area on channel 40.

[edit]
History
The precursor to WPXS started operating in 1983.

Before becoming WPXS, this station operated as WCEE "C-13." WCEE was an independent television station which showed a mix of syndicated programs, movies, and reruns. WCEE was also unusual for a small-market television station because it produced a 30-minute newscast on weekdays.

KUMO-LP Channel 51 St. Louis, MO/WPXS Channel 13 Mount Vernon, IL: This translator and it's main station, owned and operated by Equity Broadcasting Company, has never broadcast in Stereo. In 2004, the stations dropped PaxTV programming, and briefly ran Daystar programming before becoming independent.

Dave nye said:
The channel has to apply to dish to be carried. They must not have done it.

Also, it must not be considered "duplicative programming".

I used to work for KNAZ-2 in Flagstaff AZ. It's a "lil' sister" station of KPNX-12 in Phoenix. The programming schedule is the same 21 1/2 hours a day as KPNX, but it has local news, and the advertising is all local. We were in the Phoenix DMA, even though no one in Phoenix

When Must Carry started, we were assured by corporate that we would be available on DISH and DirecTV, and that it would be available to everyone in the DMA (which is the whole state, minus Tucson and Yuma). We already had a microwave link to Phoenix, so it was easy to get our signal to the uplink. The advertising department sold a lot of local ads on that promise.

But both services refused to carry us, because the programming was "too similar" to KPNX's.

Meanwhile, all the other frequency licenses in Flagstaff and Northern Arizona were snatched up by companys hoping to jump into the Phoenix DMA without actually building a station in Phoenix. The only other semi-local station in Flagstaff (Ch 13) was bought by Univision, who made it a Telefutura station. (Telefutura launched nationwide just a few days before Must Carry began.) FamilyNet put up a transmitter for Channel 4. Someone in Holbrook (population 5100) put ACN shopping channel (now JTV) on Channel 11. And someone opened an office years ago for a Channel 9 in Flagstaff, but they never broadcast anything but a "coming soon" slate. (They now have a digital transmitter that shows a blue line 24 hours a day.)

And finally, Belo put in a overpriced bid for our translator in Kingman: KMOH-6. It now shows spanish cartoons and music videos. (Kingman's population is mostly white.)

All these channels are available on DISH (except Channel 9), even though FamilyNet, Telefutura, and JTV all have identical national feeds available. But the only local news (weak as it may be) is cut off. To make matters worse, our news was also supposed to serve the Navajo Nation, most of which can't receive it OTA. It's carried on cable on the few towns big enough for cable, but most people out there have DBS.

Yet the FCC probably claims the law is designed to serve the public interest.

I haven't read up on that rule in years but I though the rule requiring carrying local channels applied only if the channel did not want $$$ to be carried. If they did, then all bets were off and the carrying of that channel was based on mutual negotiation. That may be the case in this circumstance.

John

The main reason it wasn't carried is because it was Pax...and most PAX stations wer not carried on Dish. They had the main feed.

WPXS is right now "RTN" Retro TV Network....like what TV land was a couple years ago (Brady Bunch, My 3 Sons, gomer Pyle, Laverne & Shirley, etc)

It is a full power station, so maybe they cant get a good signal to the POP :)

M Sparks said:
Also, it must not be considered "duplicative programming".
it isnt duplicate programming and that doesn't mean anything unless there are 2 networks in one DMA, only one can be carried unless they are licensed in 2 different states

(the NBC in Duluth, MN used this rule. They have a satellite station in Chisholm, MN which normally wouldnt qualify, but since the Duluth station is licensed to Superior, WI they used that loophole. Other than a few commercials and a 5 minute news segment, its the same station.

no offense, I have WPXS on cable, but why would you want to waste bandwith on E* for it. It's half the time music videos or informatials.

jhamps10 said:
no offense, I have WPXS on cable, but why would you want to waste bandwith on E* for it. It's half the time music videos or informatials.

hey now...Retro Jams is pretty cool :)

(I can get WPXS on free to air)

goaliebob99 said:
wkmo is low powered and will never get carried untill its full power...

you mean KUMO?

WPXS is 302Kw, which is just short of the 325K Watt maximum. WPXS is a full powered station. KUMO (51) is just a translator of 13 :)

I want KUMO/WPXS just because I want all of my local channels! I kind of feel cheated if not! :D

Thanks for the info, btw.

To answer the initial question, there is a page on the Echostar Knowledge Base that addresses this:

What Does "Must Carry" Mean?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

FCC Document Here (Word Document)

The FCC implemented a rule as directed by Congress essentially saying that if a DBS Carrier (Dish or DirecTV) carry one channel in a certain city (Designated Marketing Area or DMA), they must carry all the stations in that city. But there are lots of rules that apply to the stations as well. So not all the channels in a DMA qualify for Must Carry status.

In order for a station to qualify for must carry the following conditions must be met:

The station has to ASK for must carry status within the designated election period as established by the FCC. If a station does not ask to be included in the local package withing the designated time period, the DBS provider is under no obligation to carry the station, though they still may chose to do so.

The station MUST be an FCC licensed full-power station to the DMA in question. Licensed low power (LP) channels and Class A (CA) Stations DO NOT qualify for must carry status.

Stations licensed to foreign countries (Canada - "c" stations and Mexico "x" stations) DO NOT qualify for must carry status.

The station may NOT ask for any consideration or compensation in return for allowing the satellite company to carry the channel. If a station asks for ANYTHING it waves its right for must carry status until the next election period (usually 3 years)

The station may NOT be a repeater or substantially duplicate another channel's programming within the same DMA unless they are in different states. This means that if there are two channels in the same DMA that mostly show the same programming at the same time and are both in the same state, ONLY ONE has to be carried under the must carry rules. But if the two stations are in two different states, BOTH have to be carried under the rules if they ask.

The station MUST provide a "good quality" signal to the satellite company's local point of presence (POP). "Good Quality" is subjective and the FCC has been involved in a few disputes, but if a station's over the air signal is not satisfactory, the TV station must provide their signal via fiber or other conveyance at THEIR expense.

Non-commercial/Educational stations (PBS and EDU) have different but similar rules

Any stations that do not qualify for, or waive must carry status or elect retransmission consent COULD be carried by retransmission consent between the station and the DBS Carrier, but the stations that do not qualify for must carry cannot force the DBS company to carry the station.

See ya
Tony

TNGTony
I know originally this station was a PAX network so it falls under the duplicate repeater thing (and DIsh didnt carry PAX unless it had sports on it) but now that its a different channel, cant they ask for must carry?

They probably have an issue getting it to the POP

Since its FTA, couldn't Dish just pick it up that way? :)

I thought there was an agreement between Dish and Pax when they started carrying the national feed that Pax would not ask to be carried in individual cities.

but WPXS dropped PAX a while back (there was some legal thing between PAX & Equity...who owns WPXS). Equity won and dropped PAX on the following stations
WBIF (Panama City, FL)...now UPN
WBMM (Alabama)..now Daystar
WPXS...now RTN (Retro TV network)
KWBS (Ft Smith Arkansas)...now KWFT WB
KDEV (Denver area) now RTN

so technically they should be able to ask for must carry

Once a station elects retransmission consent or even fails to elect must carry within the designated election period, it cannot change its mind in the middle of the cycle and force carriage.

There have been a few stations did not elect must carry (they did not ask for must carry within the designated period) and later were sold to a new owner. The new owner then asked for must carry. The FCC has denied them all.

If the station doesn't ask for must carry within the designated election period, they have to wait until the next cycle.

BTW the deal was between Dish and Pax O&O stations. Other Pax network affiliates were not covered under the deal.

AND...this station is licensed to Illinois and the "duplicate" station was in Missouri so the duplication rule doesn't apply.

So...the reason the station isn't on dish is either the station didn't ask for must carry or they cannot provide a "good quality" signal to the POP.

See ya
Tony

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)