My 211 DVR function is activated

Gosh Darn! i Baught a 1TB WD drive last weekend and it wouldnt work so i had to settle for 750GB. Now ur saying 1TB works.. Just great.. If i exchange it now i will loose the 16 Movies i've already recorded.. Darn. O well.. serves me right for rushing out and buying an EHD since i've only had the thing for about a week lol. patients is a virtue.

I downloaded a new version of software on my 211k yesterday (I think it was L455) and it has a new menu option for disconnecting the drive (Remove DVR). I tried this a few times and it seems to work ok but it has to do a reboot, even if I reconnect the drive back up.This software also supports 1TB drive now which is great for me. I think I am going to copy all my contents from my freeagent to my new 1TB showcase and use that all the time.

Does anyone know if DISH are going to increase the upper drive limit further, or even remove it?

Thank you for the information. I checked and I have L455 but the option to disconnect the hard drive does not seem to be of any benefti because the drive still needs to reboot. Where did you find out that that this software supports !TB?

L524 on ViP211 does support 1TB disk, tested.

There is log:
[DBG_GRP_MW]<mw_hd_device_select.c:249> <02/21 09:01> open :/dev/sda
[DBG_GRP_MW]<mw_hd_api.c:901> <02/21 09:01> get_drive_capacity: 1953525168 sectors
[DBG_GRP_MW]<mw_hd_api.c:904> <02/21 09:01> Size in Gb: 931
[DBG_GRP_MW]<mw_hd_xmd_format.c:49> <02/21 09:01> HD: Reformating External Main Hard Drive.
[DBG_GRP_MW]<mw_hd_xmd_format.c:75> <02/21 09:01> Going to format partition 0 and command is mke2fs -m 0 -q -jF /dev/sda1
[DBG_GRP_MW]<mw_hd_xmd_format.c:75> <02/21 09:01> Going to format partition 2 and command is mke2fs -LEHD -m0 -b4096 -TLargefile4 -i7626752 -jF /dev/sda3
[DBG_GRP_MW]<miniwatchdog.c:809> <02/21 09:03> Reformating of external hard drive done ....
[DBG_GRP_MW]<miniwatchdog.c:810> <02/21 09:03> Reformat finished at time ..................

And a partitioning scheme. Compare to MBR what I posted before when 211 didn't use it after formatting, there is no change.

Attachments

• 211_EHD_1TB_MBR.JPG
    211_EHD_1TB_MBR.JPG
    71.4 KB · Views: 233
Last edited:
I am having very poor results getting 160G-500G IDE drives with cheapo USB converters to work with my 211/L524. The best I get is one that works for a day or two, then wants to reformat (a RocketFish USB enclosure is not even recognized, although it works great on my notebook/XP)

I've searched the forums, and if I missed the answer I apologize in advance. Question: If I buy the WD 1T My Book, is this the "sleep mode" fix everyone is talking about?

File Name: WD_MB_Studio_1034_1_03.zip
File Size: 1.82 MB
Version: Firmware Version 1.034
Publish Date: January, 2009

So, do I install it on the PC, and then let the 211 reformat the drive?

Thanks

USB powered drives will not work. The "sleep fix" is for Seagate Free Agent drives. WD's do not have the problem.

One question: What is the preferred way to disconnect the drive from the receiver in order to move it? Even with the receiver "off" (but powered-up) there seemed to be occasional disk accesses. I did it by resetting the receiver by holding the power button, then unplugging the USB connector. Is there a better option?
New with the L524/L455 software is the "My DVR" menu and an option to "Remove DVR". This does an orderly shutdown and reboot to non-DVR mode. When you select "OK" to the shutdown, you have 20 seconds to remove the USB drive before your receiver reboots.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts