My 211 DVR function is activated

Before I went out tonight I set the receiver to record three programs then using the remote turned the receiver off (just like I do with my 722). Not one of the programs recorded. The test program I recorded while watching tv was still there, so unless there is a setting Im missing looks like I'll have to leave the receiver on all the time.
John
After your report of this happening I decided to test mine again. Set up a scheduled program to record starting later and then powered off my 211. Came back later and the program DID record properly.

I'm wondering if your HDD went to sleep and couldn't wake up when the 211 wanted to start recording. What HDD do you have?

The drive is a Hitachi sata drive out of a non working lap top I had lying around. Its in a cheap Rocket Fish USB enclosure I picked up off Ebay. Although it has an ac adapter Im thinking it may actually turn off when the receiver is off. I set it to record a program and left the receiver on, it worked perfectly.
Thanks for the help
John

With the larger USB flashdrives becoming more affordable, I wonder if anyone has tried using a 64 GB thumb drive with the ViP 211?

211 DVR Enabling

When talking to the CSR and trying to get the 211 DVR feature to work, make sure the tech on the phone knows there is a 2nd dropdown on his screen that controls the 211 EHD. The first dropdown is for adding external storage drive to an existing DVR like a 622. That's not what you want. If tech says "this will effect all VIP receivers on your account" then he's chosen the wrong dropdown. Tho available for the last month or so not many people have 211 or 211k and even fewer number of CSR get it right on first try.

For clarification, here's the excerpt (verbatim cut-n-paste) from the Echostar Knowledge Base:

DVR Conversion
Available Nov 19, 2008 for the 411, 211, 211k. Possible future feature for the 222.
Activation issues - The 411 seems to have been left off the CSR screens, unknown if that is by intent or if it is an oversight that will eventually be rectified. Many customers are reporting activations that don't take, and getting double-billed when they try again. A CSR told a customer their drop-down menu first shows "external storage" which is for the 622/722. The proper 211 conversion is on another drop-down below that. Check your billing statements for the next couple months to be sure there is only one charge.

So I have a question I haven't been able to make it all the way through this thread on the 211 but I went to my 411 and stuck a usb hard drive that I had on my 711 and hooked it up and got the message about formatting my usb hard drive, its been activated on my 711 along with a couple of others. I'm moving the movies to my terrabyte on the 722 and I'm going to let it format the drive.

Question is will the 411 work as a dvr with this hd? Will I still need to call and have it activated and will it cost another $39?

So I have a question I haven't been able to make it all the way through this thread on the 211 but I went to my 411 and stuck a usb hard drive that I had on my 711 and hooked it up and got the message about formatting my usb hard drive, its been activated on my 711 along with a couple of others. I'm moving the movies to my terrabyte on the 722 and I'm going to let it format the drive.

Question is will the 411 work as a dvr with this hd? Will I still need to call and have it activated and will it cost another $39?
1) The 411 is still not available for the EHD DVR upgrade,
2) If the 411 is available to be upgraded, I don't know why the drive from a 722 wouldn't work on the 411. The disk formats are totally differnet between the two devices, so there is zero chance of moving events from a 622/722 to a 211/411.

Foxbat,

This from the DishNetwork Tech Portal regarding EHD requirements. Note that you can not use flash/thumbdrives (I was hoping they would work. I hate the sound of the hard drives running all the time):

USB 2.0
Size between 40GB and 750 GB
Must have its own AC power adapter. Don’t try to power it off the receiver’s USB ports.
No dual drives (two drives in one physical case)
No flash-memory drives
No hybrid drives (flash memory plus traditional disk in one physical case)
A one-time External Hard Drive Activation Fee of $39.99.

Foxbat,

This from the DishNetwork Tech Portal regarding EHD requirements. Note that you can not use flash/thumbdrives (I was hoping they would work. I hate the sound of the hard drives running all the time):
I agree, especially in the bedroom. So far I find the 750 gb WD My Book Essential operates silent as a tomb. Very pleased with it.

PBX,
Thank you for the info on the Western Digital. I put one in place of the Maxtor I had, covered the blue lights with black electrical tape, and am very pleased.

I knew about the drives not being powered off of the 211's USB port, but I thought that a Flash drive's power requirements would be low enough that the 211 wouldn't be taxed. The Hybrid drive restriction is interesting. Obviously, paying 10x per GB is not the point, but I wonder if it might become an option in the future. I would think that a solid state deice could keep up with the 211's data streams.

Trouble activating

I called yesterday to activate my EHD. Still nothing this morning. I called back and the CSR said they were having problems with their system getting these activated. I tried the automated line and talked to a CSR. Anyone else had this problem in the past 24 hrs? Suggestions?

I called yesterday to activate my EHD. Still nothing this morning. I called back and the CSR said they were having problems with their system getting these activated. I tried the automated line and talked to a CSR. Anyone else had this problem in the past 24 hrs? Suggestions?

See post #308 above. I believe it's a training issue.

No dual drives (two drives in one physical case)

Confused perhaps, but I understood the explanation to mean no dual "platter" drives (1 physical drive comprised of more than 1 physical platter deep inside the guts of the drive, not simply 2 separate drives inside a common case) . If you've ever taken one apart then you know what they're talking about. Multi-platter drives in my experience are generally older technology & likely to be found in the computer tinkerer's junk box.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)