my 24" dish was installed today (1 Viewer)

shelly

Thread Starter
SatelliteGuys Pro
Sep 19, 2003
271
0
It took many weeks but my new dish is in place. The installer used the same mount and lnb from the 18" dish but used the new 24" dish and arm.

My signal quality had been low 90's. power high 80's, low 90's with s/n of 14.xx to low 15.xx Dropped 40 points with light drizzle but only a few points with light rain (bigger drops) so the move to larger dish.

New readings are 97 for quality and 96 for power with s/n at 16.50 or so.

But my picture looks great--the way I remember it when I first had Voom installed. It may be the new dish or the tightening and reworking of the roof top cables, or just a psychological affect but sharpness and color saturation are back to original levels.

I commend Voom for the free reinstall and their efforts to make this subscriber a happy camper.

But it probably will not rain here until next November so I will not know if my rain fade problem has been solved.

But this new 24" dish, my two other 24" dishes and my 30" dish make my two remaining 18" dishes lool very puny indeed.

Shelly
 

kschorz

SatelliteGuys Family
Mar 4, 2004
69
0
Hey Shelly, where do you live and what did you say to Voom to get the free dish?
I live in Albany, OR and really do need the 24" dish.
How much did you pay for the 24" dish also.
Thank you!
Kevin
 

GeneWildershair

SatelliteGuys Pro
Feb 28, 2004
521
0
Bay Area
shelly said:
It took many weeks but my new dish is in place. The installer used the same mount and lnb from the 18" dish but used the new 24" dish and arm.

My signal quality had been low 90's. power high 80's, low 90's with s/n of 14.xx to low 15.xx Dropped 40 points with light drizzle but only a few points with light rain (bigger drops) so the move to larger dish.

New readings are 97 for quality and 96 for power with s/n at 16.50 or so.

But my picture looks great--the way I remember it when I first had Voom installed. It may be the new dish or the tightening and reworking of the roof top cables, or just a psychological affect but sharpness and color saturation are back to original levels.

I commend Voom for the free reinstall and their efforts to make this subscriber a happy camper.

But it probably will not rain here until next November so I will not know if my rain fade problem has been solved.

But this new 24" dish, my two other 24" dishes and my 30" dish make my two remaining 18" dishes lool very puny indeed.

Shelly

Great to hear! BTW with my 30" I'm getting a 98/99 quality, and a power of 89. I used to get 96 quality, and 76 power with the 18" dish, and like you when it would rain I would completley lose signal. I'm impressed with the 96 power! good installer! :D
 

shelly

Thread Starter
SatelliteGuys Pro
Sep 19, 2003
271
0
I live in Carmel Valley, CA about 12 miles inland on the central coast of CA.

After my rain fade, I contacted Joe Harkins (I think, the head of Installs, Inc.) per Sean's advice and outlined my problem with as much detail as possible, and requested a 30" dish exchange.

Joe would only authorize the 24" for my area, suggesting that they are using the 30" dishes in areas with severe thunderstorm/lightening problems. He felt that the 24" would solve my problem. There was no charge for the upgraded dish or the installation.

He contacted my local installation company but they did not have any larger dishes. They then contacted Installs to work out their own repayment plan and then ordered a 24" dish for me. Another 2 weeks went by with my regular phone calls to the installation company, and finally, the dish was installed yesterday.

Foggy this morning and quality is at 96-97 and power at 97-98. S/N is moving around from 14.95 to 16. 45. NUmbers will change at different times of day and evening, and depending on clear or cloudy conditions. So my improvements are small in number but, hopefully, more stable during bad weather.

Shelly
 

slffl

SatelliteGuys Guru
Nov 18, 2003
124
0
Is rain fade cause enough to ask VOOM for this larger dish? I assumed rain fade was just part of the technology. My signal goes down to the 60's when it rains hard, and programming is basically unwatchable. Should I get the larger dish?
 

FunkyBoss

Pub Member / Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
753
1
Chicagoland, IL
slffl said:
Is rain fade cause enough to ask VOOM for this larger dish? I assumed rain fade was just part of the technology. My signal goes down to the 60's when it rains hard, and programming is basically unwatchable. Should I get the larger dish?

I would think any time your service is unwatchable, it needs to be addressed by them.
 

DarrellP

I Think, therefore, I am.
Supporting Founder
Nov 6, 2003
4,298
0
Salem, OR
I think they should have went with 24" & 30" right off the bat, it would have saved them a bunch of money. If they refuse me a 30" dish, I'll just go buy one, they're very inexpensive, like $50 for just the dish and arm. The current LNB can be bolted onto the arm.
 

shelly

Thread Starter
SatelliteGuys Pro
Sep 19, 2003
271
0
slffl said:
Is rain fade cause enough to ask VOOM for this larger dish? I assumed rain fade was just part of the technology. My signal goes down to the 60's when it rains hard, and programming is basically unwatchable. Should I get the larger dish?

Yes. It is cause to get a larger dish (which appears to be the solution to the problem.) I had never lost a signal with Directv or Dish, but had lost signal with BEV when it rained. but my former 19" dish for BEV only got a high 50's, low 60's signal on a good day so when it dropped 10-20 points, it lost programming. My new 30" BEV dish gets a 90 signal now.

With the 18" dish, my signal went down 40 points to mid 50's and I lost all programming for hours. I did maintain my programming when the signal was in the mid 60's.

I agree that a 24" dish should have been part of the initial install.

By the way, a few hours after my last post, my signal quality was 97 and signal power was 100. Now it has returned to 97, 98.

Shelly
 

kschorz

SatelliteGuys Family
Mar 4, 2004
69
0
shelly said:
I live in Carmel Valley, CA about 12 miles inland on the central coast of CA.

After my rain fade, I contacted Joe Harkins (I think, the head of Installs, Inc.) per Sean's advice and outlined my problem with as much detail as possible, and requested a 30" dish exchange.


Shelly


Hey Shelly, thank you for the response. Quick question: How did you initially contact Harkins?
Phone, Email?

Thank you!
Kevin
 

bman549

SatelliteGuys Family
Apr 20, 2004
57
0
Orlando, FL
Can you use a 24" D* Dish for VOOM?

I have a 24" dish my brother in law gave me when he got rid of D*.
Does anyone kow if i can use this for VOOM?
What would i need to get this to work?
I don't have VOOM yet, but have been looking into to getting hooked up.
I'm in Orlando and don't want the rain fade during our notorious thunderstorms.

Thanks in advance.....
 

Sean Mota

SatelliteGuys Master
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
19,023
1,700
New York City
bman549 said:
I have a 24" dish my brother in law gave me when he got rid of D*.
Does anyone kow if i can use this for VOOM?
What would i need to get this to work?
I don't have VOOM yet, but have been looking into to getting hooked up.
I'm in Orlando and don't want the rain fade during our notorious thunderstorms.

Thanks in advance.....


Don't see why not.
 

bman549

SatelliteGuys Family
Apr 20, 2004
57
0
Orlando, FL
Just wasn't sure if the shape of the dish would have any effect. Only thing i could thing was maybe it would help if voom launched more sattelites and could pick up the others like D* and E*, beside the better signal strength.
Seems like i heard problems with aiming with larger dish for some reason.
 

Sean Mota

SatelliteGuys Master
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
19,023
1,700
New York City
There are lot of threads with good information about the 24 and 30 dishes. They are a little harder to install and point but it is doable.
 

cameron119

SatelliteGuys Pro
Apr 18, 2004
288
0
bman549 said:
Just wasn't sure if the shape of the dish would have any effect. Only thing i could thing was maybe it would help if voom launched more sattelites and could pick up the others like D* and E*, beside the better signal strength.
Seems like i heard problems with aiming with larger dish for some reason.

You can't just launch a bird and start broadcasting. If there are no frequencies available in the slot, you're SOL.
 

bman549

SatelliteGuys Family
Apr 20, 2004
57
0
Orlando, FL
So does that mean that VOOM will not be able to expand in the future?
They are limited to what they have now? and are depending on better compression for expansion only?
so they're DOOMed to fail if compression doesn't get better since they wont be able to expand but for a few channels?
If they can't expand like D* and E* they'll die with only limited channels.
 

Sean Mota

SatelliteGuys Master
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
19,023
1,700
New York City
bman549 said:
So does that mean that VOOM will not be able to expand in the future?
They are limited to what they have now? and are depending on better compression for expansion only?
so they're DOOMed to fail if compression doesn't get better since they wont be able to expand but for a few channels?
If they can't expand like D* and E* they'll die with only limited channels.

MPEG-4/WM9 is one solution but not the only solution. VOOM knows this and sure enough there are plans in the making. One year from now, you will see a totally different VOOM (only for the better). Sit tight enjoy the show and wait for more. The ship does not stop here... It will continue.
 

rang1995

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
Sep 30, 2003
904
0
Bergen co NJ
To those who have mounted larger dishes--i was supposed to get a 24" but a 30" was sent by mistake..from an 18" to 30" in sq inches is more then double and seems alot bigger then 24..the installer never saw one that big or he just didnt want to take a chance of putting it on my roof..they went up and came down and said no way a 24" ok,but didn't want to chance"a 30" as far as i know there is no reason i should doubt my roof..but there are only 18" dishes around where i live in the NYC metro area..comments?? thanks
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Latest posts

Top