My 508 had an 11 hour buffer !

waltinvt

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Feb 16, 2004
Vermont
This is a first. Yesterday morning I turned my 508 on (channel 205) to check in on the hurricane. I then turned the TV off (but left the 508 on) and we went to church. Later that day my son and I watched a dvd and last night, at about 6 pm, I decided to check back in on Frances.

I flipped the TV input over to satellite and the 508 was still tuned to Fox News, so I figured I'd back it up a bit. At 300x it usually only takes a few seconds to back up the full hour but this time it took an unusually long time. I also noticed when it did stop, it paused with a "0:00" reading were I usually see aprox 60:00.

I started watching and recognized the exact same coverage I had watched at 8am that morning. This was confirmed by the time on the FNC banner and realized I'd just backed up 11 hours. I then checked my PVR list and sure enough, it was reduced by roughly 11 hours.

I would have left it alone but I was worried that if it keep buffering, it might eventually start deleting things from my HD, so I did a reset, after which the available HD space was increased by the 11 hours.

Has anyone ever had this happen ? Both my 501 and 508 have been acting a little weird lately - not to mention my 811 that's always a little weird.

WaltinVt

I have a 508 and have never had that problem Walt. It'll only keep 1hrs worth of backup and that's just fine with me. Been a damn good receiver really. I'm gonna rotate it back to the bedroom once my 721 comes in. Once you get a taste of DVR it sucks ass not to have it anymore.

The only time I've had more than an hour buffered on my 508 is when I'm recording something.

I backed up 2 hours once for a NASCAR race I had recorded while it was still recording.

I have a 508 and have never had that problem Walt.
I'd call it a feature and not a problem. The old Dishplayer 7100/7200s would do this... they had no set interval of a buffer and would use free disk space to buffer hours of programming on that channel. THe more free disk you had, the larger the buffer!! :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)