My 612 is on crack

pfan1981

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 16, 2008
Green Bay, WI
I have a 622 in the living room running in HD there and SD in the bonus room. We have a 612 in our bedroom that is acting up like __________. I wrote a post a few months ago about overloading the 612 with 3 recordings (ota) at the same time while watching something off the DVR, which caused the 612 to reset itself.

I've learned to not overload it and haven't had any issue since. My wife overloaded it and ever since we have to hit cancel to get the channel banner to go off when watching TV. Also, while shows are recording they show up as 1 minute the entire recording period.

Trivial things I know, but wondering if anyone else has the same problem and the possible solutions to it.

Thanks,

Three recordings isn't overloading the unit, it's causing the unit to overheat, which causes the reboot. Your unit is clearly malfunctioning, and needs to be replaced, but when the new one comes, you need to make other changes. You need to improve the ventillation, probably drastically. No less than 3 inches of clearance on top, left, and right sides, no glass doors in front, and no masonite or paperboard panels behind. The BEST place is on TOP of a table, dresser, or cabinet. I put mine on 3/4 inch risers under each foot.

Check your grounding also! I had a 612 pull the same crap, and whenit was replaced, the tech checked the outlet and found it was improperly grounded (older home) so we had to make some adjustments...also, just as an FYI...I find the 612 a steaming pile of pile compared to my 622...lags on DVR when starting a recording...lots of reboots.seems to overheat easily(mine is on top of a table sitting by itself, with PLENTY of clearance all around)...but for the most part, since the grounding issue has been resolved the BIG problems (like the 1 minute recording time...showing a program as recording when it actually wasn't) have gone away.

I will try unplugging the receiver tonight when I go to bed and plugging it in in the morning.

The receiver itself is sitting on our armoire with the TV so there isn't any enclosure so heating shouldn't be an issue. I will put it on some spacers though.

I'll let you know if this solves the timer issue and channel banner issue.

I try and get the 612 to go to the meetings, but it doesn't want to. I know it has a problem and it knows too. However, if it doesn't want to get help for itself, it won't work. I will continue to try and get help for the 612.....i just don't know :confused:.............

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)