My 722K has suddenly gone south in past two days - freezes during playback and reboots itself

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

bgee

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
May 19, 2009
Albany NY
Seems like yesterday my 722K started acting very flakey. In the past two hours, it has rebooted itself 4 times after DVR playback froze. If I go back to the same recording that froze and play it again, it freezes at the same point and reboots again.

Is anybody else seeing similar behavior? Was there a software update very recently? Or perhaps my 722K is biting the dust . . .

FWIW, seems like the recordings are all FOX OTA programs.

Try deleting that recording. Could be a bad recording and see what happens.
That's what I did with the previous recordings and it keeps happening. Maybe it's some bad sectors on the hard drive and I should actually NOT delete the bad recording so those bad sectors don't get used again???

Have you tried unplugging the receiver from the electrical outlet for 10 seconds to have the receiver clear the memory? Are you getting either a 024 or 311 error message (indicate HD problems)? It sounds like the drive is going bad. Please let me know. Thanks.

Seems like yesterday my 722K started acting very flakey. In the past two hours, it has rebooted itself 4 times after DVR playback froze. If I go back to the same recording that froze and play it again, it freezes at the same point and reboots again.

Is anybody else seeing similar behavior? Was there a software update very recently? Or perhaps my 722K is biting the dust . . .

FWIW, seems like the recordings are all FOX OTA programs.

Sorry for missing your response Ray - my notifications setting was messed up.

I've been keeping the bad recordings on the disk, thinking maybe there were some bad disk sectors. Yesterday I tried watching two new recordings and I had freeze/reboots on both recordings. I contacted tech support via online chat and after dancing through the usual hoops (unplug/reboot, surge protector, etc), they are sending me a replacement 722K.

I am experiencing the same issues over the past 24 hours with my 722. Random freezes/reboots, all my recorded shows disappearing- and then reappearing, intermittent messages suggesting I don't have a Program Guide, etc. I have manually rebooted as well as unplugged power and hope that resolves whatever gremlins have been introduced.

If the problems persist through today and this weekend, it is either something plaguing some of our 722s via a new software update or a strange coincidence for the two of us.

If the problems persist through today and this weekend, it is either something plaguing some of our 722s via a new software update

Yeah, I can't help but think the same thing but then why isn't the issue more wide spread than the two of us? Anyway, I installed the replacement 722K Dish sent out to me last night and we'll see how it goes.

Yeah, I can't help but think the same thing but then why isn't the issue more wide spread than the two of us? Anyway, I installed the replacement 722K Dish sent out to me last night and we'll see how it goes.

Thanks for the reply. Although I now don't think it is the software...I just spoke with the missus and she indicated it was failing again this morning. At one point she saw a screen which indicated "hard drive failure". She is going to call and hopefully they will send out a replacement unit as this one appears to be near toast.

Fortunately Dish is sending out a replacement receiver for my failed one as well. Perhaps I've been lucky not to have experienced a failure with it before now if there are durability issues with the 722?

A couple of questions-

1) Can I take the external HD from my other receiver (VIP612) and use to transfer shows from the 722s internal HD (without having to reformat the external HD if it is "linked" to one receiver)? This is assuming, of course, that the receiver has not failed to a point where this is not possible.

2) When the replacement 722 is received, will I need to call Dish to activate or will it be "good to go"- just swap out the failed one?

Thanks.

Fortunately Dish is sending out a replacement receiver for my failed one as well. Perhaps I've been lucky not to have experienced a failure with it before now if there are durability issues with the 722?

A couple of questions-

1) Can I take the external HD from my other receiver (VIP612) and use to transfer shows from the 722s internal HD (without having to reformat the external HD if it is "linked" to one receiver)? This is assuming, of course, that the receiver has not failed to a point where this is not possible.

2) When the replacement 722 is received, will I need to call Dish to activate or will it be "good to go"- just swap out the failed one?

Thanks.

Hi, I am glad you have a replacement receiver on the way.

1- Yes, the EHD from the ViP612 is compatible with the 722 and no new formating will be needed.
2- You can hook up the replacement 722 but you will still need to contact DISH to activate the receiver. There will be instruction along with the receiver, just follow those and you will be good.

Have a great day!

Hi, I am glad you have a replacement receiver on the way.

1- Yes, the EHD from the ViP612 is compatible with the 722 and no new formating will be needed.
2- You can hook up the replacement 722 but you will still need to contact DISH to activate the receiver. There will be instruction along with the receiver, just follow those and you will be good.

Have a great day!

Unfortunately the HD is now toast and moving recordings to the EHD is not possible. :-(

If you get the new receiver and still have problems, work your way up the line from the receiver to the sat dish. I know this may sound stupid but our 722k was doing the same thing and it turned out to be a bad inline power supply to our DPP44 switch. After 3 swaps of 722s and tech support was finally ready to admit that, geez, maybe it's not the receiver. Check end-connectors, check switches, check LNBs. Good luck.

Replacement arrived last night and it was a refurbished VIP 722. The replacement process has improved from the last time I had to swap out a failed receiver years ago as the instructions were quite lucid (kudos to Dish). It took about an hour to get everything up and running again and at this point it appears- aside from the lost programming on the failed HD- I'm back to where I was before the failure.

Seems like yesterday my 722K started acting very flakey.

Well, it's been 3 months since my 722K was replaced and it has gone south again, unable to play back a recording without freezing/pausing/skipping every few minutes. A reboot seems to temporarily make it better but it's soon back to the same problem. The 722K is unreliable and poorly designed in my experience. I'm on my 4th 722K in two years. Got to think long and hard about going with yet another 722K. Is there a better alternative?

Yet another 722K is on its way to me. My theory is it's the hard drive going. Perhaps this last refurb unit didn't have a new hard drive in it when I got it. Dish Support treated me fairly well.

I've seen that once before, but was an odd ball situation and may not apply to your situation. When I SAW IT, skywalker RG6 was used, which is rated for almost exactly the bandwidth dish carries, 2.15ghz or some such value (the reason DISH uses 3g), and occasionally HD channels would pixilate, never for more than a second or enough to complain about, due to the impedance of the line not having enough overhead. Then, when said channels were recorded on a 722vip, that pixilation turned into recordings that froze the receiver.

Moral of the story, in one rare crazy instance, that symptom was caused by incorrect lines. Double check that you are 3ghz all the way before you replace the receiver, but it is most likely the receiver.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts