MY 811 Review - Self Install 12/5 7pm

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

928gt

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 25, 2003
Picked up a 811 today, drove home and plugged it up !

So far so good !!

Plugged the waiting DVI from my Plasma, hit the power and BOOM. You could immediately tell the PQ diff from the check switch screen, very crisp !!

Started the check switch procedure, but had to abort because in my excitement I suddenly remembered I had plugged up the DVI, Optical audio cable ........., BUT NOT THE SAT CABLE , oops !

OK, check switch OK 61.5/119/110 all strong !!

Next was 5 min software download. (now P2.61)

BTW, all thru these procedures it was very obvious that the resolution and PQ was dramatically improved.

Soon as that was finished I went to Dish demo channel and WOW, there is a DIFFERENCE. Picture seems brighter and crisper than my 6000 via the HD15 or component outputs. I AM SOLD, once you go DVI you never go back.

I though the picture with the 6000 could not get any better, but I now know it can.

OK, other notes :

720P no problem on my plasma.

Optical Audio works flawlessly with my 811, no issues at all. Both digital and analog (set to default Analog/digital mode)

Remote is WAY better and SUPER FAST, and buttons are "crisp and responsive" like my 510. Quite frankly the remote improvement alone is worth getting the 811 over the 6000.

Video preview in Guide is also worth it and it was cool to see HD previewed in the guide.

As reported Zoom mode is a no go for now.

Phone setup missing wireless phone jack check box (who cares).

Does output HD and SD at same time, hooked up SVideo cable along with DVI and switched back and forth on TV input. OF note, the HD/SD button on the remote seems to do nothing, I guess since both output together it is not needed.

the downside is my Bravo D1 DVI-equipped DVD just got downgraded to Component, but it seems to still look the same and 811 will get more use anyway.

I will think of more, let me know if you have specific questions.

Dave

Good report! Now I'm anxious to get mine installed (12/8/03). "Phone setup missing wireless phone jack check box (who cares)." What do you mean by this? How do you download SW? Phone line? Via Satellite?

Hyo

Good report!
Now I'm anxious to get mine installed (12/8/03). "Phone setup missing wireless phone jack check box (who cares)." What do you mean by this? How do you download SW? Phone line? Via Satellite?

In later receivers I have seen (510/301) there is a setup for the Phone System, that has check boxes for "Tone Dial", "Pulse Dial" and "Wireless Phone Jack". Not sure what that does (Scott??) but I assume it optimizes the phone jack on the receiver for those "Wireless Phone extension" thingamagigs.

Download is automatic via satellite.

Also, concerning the Zoom mode, I find that If I switch to the S Video output to my plasma I can use the 5 Zoom modes that my Plasma has when using the RF/Composite/S-video/Component/RBG inputs (not the DVI) and have the same functions as the Zoom modes on the 6000, so this issue is not a big deal for me until the next software update.

D

Is the 811 quieter than the 6000.

Is the fan much quieter than the 6000? Also did you get the $149 upgrade? They told me I had to have a dish installer install the 811 for that price.

928gt, I hooked up my DVI cable to my Hitachi swx today(I don't get my 811 till Sunday) :p and I can only use 16x9 and 16x9 zoom on that input.I don't know why they design them this way.I guess the manufacturers think that if you are using your DVI input,you must be watching something shot in widescreen format. :p

Is the fan much quieter than the 6000?

Didn't see a fan or fan vent, no noise so far.

Also did you get the $149 upgrade?

Yes, but that one is being installed Sunday. this one is from my dad's CLub Dish FREE 811/301/301 500 quad package that I signed him up for and picked up from a local dealer today.

They told me I had to have a dish installer install the 811 for that price.

Yes, and I was told to the self install 811 $149 deal required a receiver swap and wait for it to be shipped if I did if that way.

I went for free install "add-on" which will require the installer to run another feed to my house and install another DP34 AND I get it sooner (maybe).

Even if the install is delayed I don't care since I have my Dad's free 811 to play with. I don't plan to do his install until later next week.. maybe even later ... :)

928gt, I hooked up my DVI cable to my Hitachi swx today(I don't get my 811 till Sunday) and I can only use 16x9 and 16x9 zoom on that input.I don't know why they design them this way.I guess the manufacturers think that if you are using your DVI input,you must be watching something shot in widescreen format.

Not sure why they are this way, will probably change later with newer stuff..

You will notice the DVI difference, it is noticable even when using 44 year old eyes that need reading glasses :)

928gt,My eyes are 47.I've heard the difference is not so apparent in crt rear projection sets like mine.Can't wait till Sunday!! :dance:

Get a Lite-On to sub for Bravo D1. (Have both but Bravo is atrocious on component). Looking forward to my 811 on Mon. Thanks for review.

Get a Lite-On to sub for Bravo D1.

??? It is late here and you lost me , tell me more please.

Have both but Bravo is atrocious on component.

I had heard that, no sure if the newer ones are upgraded (mine just came off the "boat" Monday) but it wasn't as bad on component 720P or 1080i as I have heard. Mine is "hacked" so I use component 720p and there is a slight difference noticed on Bravo menus etc, but it is very sharp with DVDs. Used Lion King as reference and it was just as sharp and vibrant as it was with the DVI. I even had both plugged up and toggled back and forth from DVI to component and no perceivable different from a 6' viewing distance.

Looking forward to my 811 on Mon.

It will be worth the wait, just watched Formula 51 on HBO-HD and even noticed skin tones were more natural with the DVI, picture is just PERFECT !!

Finally Analog Video is going to join analog audio in the graveyard !!

I reviewed HDTVs back in 1991 for a large AV project I designed and was told it would be the standard in 2 to 3 years. I am so glad to finally see it starting to happen, even if it is 10 years late !!

Thanks for review.

No problem

Dave

How is the OTA DTV?

I am in the high mountain of western NC and a LONG way from any network Digital broadcasts. There is one Digital signal from a nearby college (40 miles), not worth putting up an "ugly" antenna, so I don't waste my time with OTA. sorry.

Petemc11 said:
928gt,My eyes are 47.I've heard the difference is not so apparent in crt rear projection sets like mine.Can't wait till Sunday!! :dance:
But remember as long as you have a decent calibrated CRT base HDTV it will have a superior picture quality then a LCD/DLP even if the LCD/DLP's are usung a DVI! So whether you use a DVI for youe CRT based HDTV rest assured it still has a better picture then a LCD/DLP HDTV. That won't be the case in the next couple of years when they get DLP's to finally display outstanding black levels like CRT's do. Of course by then the Laser projectors should be coming out and they will put everything to shame!

Great review 928, I cannot wait for mine. I have he DVI cable waiting for the intaller to get here sometime in the next 12 hours. I will also run a set of components to another vid channel as I like the Expanded 4:3 that my Hitachi does better than the 6000's Stretch mode. It is more like a panorama, leavin g the center alone and gradually stretching the edges to fill the screen. Man, I cannot wait :)

DVI Cable?

My 811 is coming 12/8, or it was until this snow storm.

Anyone know if the 811 comes with a DVI cable? If not, what should I look for and where?

Dave

Does not come with a DVI cable. Consensus is that if you have a short cable run (less than 12 feet) any cable will work. For the longer runs you should probably invest in a high end cable.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)