My 921 broke after 5 days; is that the record?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Airblair

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 17, 2003
San Francisco Bay Area
Title says it all. Hard drive crapped out after 5 days of use. A replacement is currently on its way.

Besides any units that were non-functioning out of the box, has anyone out there had a 921 break on them as quickly as I did?

1 day

Mine worked fine. I taped HBDHD the next morning nothing worked. I finally got it back and the tuner could not pick up any stations. This thing is a piece of junk, I sure hope we can use it as trade in when they get MPEG4

It might be a 921 record. I had my 921 connected about 20 days and now its going back. Problems from day one but Hardrive still spins. Really bugs and design flaws overwhelmed me.

I had a 501 replacment that had a bad hardrive after a day and it took a total of 6 different replacements to get a 501 that worked right. That might be close to a 501 record.

I remember all the 501/508 problems, but now they work great for what they can do. Trouble with the 921 is it has more problems than the 501 did in the early days and its already being replaced by the 942. The DishLinux the used by the 921 and 721 seem to have fallen out of favor as the new units do not seem to be using DishLinux.

Hope Dish fixes them for the folks that have them and are keeping them, but I wasn't willing to gamble. Too many brokens promises from Dish like NBR, IMHO.

Airblair said:
Title says it all. Hard drive crapped out after 5 days of use. A replacement is currently on its way.

Besides any units that were non-functioning out of the box, has anyone out there had a 921 break on them as quickly as I did?
Hardly. Some had it break within the first day.

On the other hand both mine work fine. Yes there are serious software bugs, but still I record Everything I watch and view it later and still have only have 3 recordings fail (all reported). All the rest recorded fine I record at least 5 hour a day, usually HD, and often OTA HD. And yes simultaneous timers. :)

Critical Problem for those who need it
Closed captioning doesn't work on 720 broadcast

Current biggest bugs (my opinion) for most people.
The jitters (only some configurations and for most, some programs)
WIDE screen SD (aspect doesn't work, but goes away after a reboot)
ZERO or truncated recordings (I've had 2 zero and one truncated, and as mentioned reported directly to Dish)

Currently biggest gripe
Must subscribe to Locals for OTA info (I subscribe and so I don't care)

Currently most wanted features
Named based recordings (NBR), most of us thought it was promised
Multiple Default output settings (for me 480i/480p to 480p, 720p to 1080I, 1080I to 1080i. Others of cause want other variations)

Well, my second 921 hasn't broken yet. (Crosses fingers)

Funny thing about the 501; I'm on my second one and have had it for at least two years, no problems. We moved it into the bedroom, which is the only other TV in our house. Ever since we had it installed, I've been pining for a PVR in the bedroom, and now I have it--awesome! (except for the occasionally flaky remote control over RF; gotta do something about that.)

Dish Network, if you're listening, the next step is to allow us to record to one hard drive and share programs among all the TVs in the house. Please assume that there will be three or more TVs, some HD, some not. Get to work on it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)