My attempt to catch the NYE ANALOG feed on G-17 ku

Status
Please reply by conversation.

jduffin

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 7, 2007
Salt Lake City, Utah
When I learned that the NYE celebration was going to be fed on G-17 ku in analog, I thought that I should give it a try. My current set up is a motorized 1M dish for ku, a fixed 1M mini-bud at G-16 for C-band and a Pansat 2500A DVB receiver.

I have an OLD Uniden UST-7000 C-band receiver that I acquired 15+ years ago that I have never used. After looking at Lyngsat, I realized that G-16 had the Sheppard's Channel broadcast in analog on transponder 16. So I thought I'd give it a try. After examining the Uniden receiver closer, I found that by moving a switch on the rear I could get either a fixed +18V (regardless of polarity) or a 0/+14V (depending on the polarity) to the LNB. Since I have a Geosat C2 LNB, I needed +18V to select the horizontal polarity -- so I flipped the rear switch to +18V and hooked up the LNB. I was totally amazed -- I could receive the Sheppard's channel with almost no snow with a 1M dish!!! I then changed channels and came across a "Did you think your smarter than a 5th grader" feed on transponder 17. However, this one had a bit of snow.

I then hooked up my Uniden receiver to my motorized ku dish, switched the rear switch to 0/+14V (so that I could get vertical transponders) and went to transponder 20 on G-17 (this is where the NYE feed was supposed to be). There was nothing there. I went through the channels and discovered a feed on transponder 5. The audio was clear but the picture looked like it was either scrambled or it wasn't syncing properly. I then remembered that ku capable receivers could deal with 32 transponders rather than the 24 transponders on c-band. So I assume that this was my problem since my Uniden is C-band only. However, most of the ku satellites on Lyngsat show a maximum of 24 transponders.

After all of this, I started to wonder if there is an analog C/ku band receiver that is capable of supplying the correct voltage for voltage-controlled LNBs. Any ideas?

Is anyone else getting analog feeds with an LNB where the polarity is voltage-controlled? How are you doing it?

Thanks and have a Happy New Year!

I hope you did not make the same mistake I did trying to catch the feed. I looked at the first line and thought it started at 5:45pm, but that was the fiber feed. The analog feed started at 10:00pm. If you tried earlier than 10:00pm there was no feed up. I found the same coverage on G28 on the Ku feed which I posted here last night and did not bother to try to get the analog feed anymore.
I have a Uniden UST 5500 (analog) that have sepate receive capability for C and Ku (F connector input). There is a switch for +18V (used for older lnbf), and it toggles over to the other side that supports V/H polarity for lnb. This is the side I used. The front of the receiver has a switch for horizontal and vertical polarity. There is also a digital display to show transponder number versus an analog dial that is difficult to know if you are on the transponder.The receiver also have a motor actuator with manual skew control.
Some old receivers you can trick it to change polarity if all you have is an 18v setting with the newer lnb by rotating the lnb on the holder +/- 90 degrees.

In early 2000 I bought a Satcruiser Acer 2040. This was a combined analog/FTA receiver with a built in actuator/skew. During my move it was lost somewhere...really would be glad to have it now.

Iceberg -- thanks for the tip on the Nextwave receiver. Sounds interesting. I'll do some more research on this and see if it makes sense to buy one.

jduffin
I got mine for $30 shipped from the Ebay guy...he has hundreds of them and will take most offers for them

jduffin
I got mine for $30 shipped from the Ebay guy...he has hundreds of them and will take most offers for them

I bought one tonight on EBay for $28 including free shipping. Since he accepted your $30 offer I decided to go a few dollars lower and he accepted. :)

Are you guys happy with these receivers? Would you buy them again at this price? I'm a little nervous about buying an "off-brand" receiver.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)