My bad PQ day with V* ends with a great Showtime Boxing fight in HD

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Dvlos

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 5, 2004
Man I counted 5 programs today that were unwatchable in HD.

- Transporter

- Equator HD (for reference)

- Eyes Wide Shut

- Daredevil

- Showtime Boxing in HD Mahleel vs. Brewster (WBO Champ)

Mosquito noise and pixelation tonight. Also the sound on premium channels is very.. VERY low compared to OTA and other network channels, this is just a constant annoyance having to flip up and down the volume. I wish the premium channels would have the sound BOOM the VOOM Olympics came in.

I wanted to see Eyes Wide Shut, it's sexy and suspensful, seen this movie many times, but I was convinced that tonights showing on Voom was off a DVD playing off a dirty laser. The compression was terrible, I confused naked Nicole Kidman with a shirtless Tom Cruise it was so bad. Kubrick uses filters in certain scenes of this film, notably a yellow filter in the early parts of the film, then goes to no filter between Tom Cruise and the old friend who bangs the junkie, then soft filters and so forth... this was playing tremendous havok with the compression or something as noise and bad PQ was forming on skin tones and dark areas....I was real upset then I switched to showtime's heavyweight match tonight.

With the Tyson fight still etched in my head, I threw my hands up like "What? Voom's going for the KO tonight in my house, with bad PQ popping my eyes out", a shame too because recently the PQ took an uptrend and stayed there.

The good thing is this nobody fight turned out to be really, really good, lots of heart, Brewster the favorite took some kind of pounding from a taller longer armed guy, who's his friend and sparring partner! I have no idea how he didn't fall.. good fight forgot about PQ for a while.

Alright enough bad.

I was trying to compare for my wife the glorious differences between HD and SD, the sad thing is, she (who knows JACK about HD) likes HD, but asked me about the noise and soft fuzziness at times around the edges of the HD picture, I said that's compression but to compare I threw on the football game and Medical Investigation OTA... Also compared Nemo in SD to Nemo in HD and she was impressed (again). What I will say is that Voom's SD is freaking outstanding for SD. That's a +, just not a plus I care to run around telling everyone about. "Holy crap Johnson, YOU GOT to come to my house and check out these STANDARD definition shows, they will blow your eyes out!!"

Where is everyone tonight?

I finally got to watch Sci Fi last night and the PQ was quite good. I recorded a movie, something 666 and went through and edited out the commercials (47 minutes worth over 2 hours) and the PQ on playback from my Panny E85H was even better than live from Voom. My Panny does some really decent cleanup of SD material.

Dvlos, now you know why I hardly ever watch Voom, I am a PQ fanatic and when I start emailing Dish about HDNET going downhill, you get an idea of what I expect to see on my screen. There is no excuse except greed for these companies to be doing this. I just emailed Voom and let them know if the PQ is not better after the rates go up, I am an EX customer, plain and simple. I can live with OTA only if I have to.

DarrellP I feel ya' brotha'... but I already know what Voom's canned response is going to be...

"Sorry sir you're projector sucks or you gnawed through your DVI cable, Voom offers Crystal Clear HD. Would you like us to set up a service call for you?"

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)