My Charter Cable "Alternative"

Tom Bombadil

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
May 5, 2005
Chicago-Milwaukee Region
Charter just upped their prices in my area to $48/month, before taxes. That's for 75 channels, all in analog. This price includes no DVR, no HD, no music channels, no movie channels - all of those cost extra. It is very similar to getting AT60 w/locals. Wow, what a deal (snicker, snicker)!

Obviously E* and D* options are very attractive vs this paltry offering.

Seems you are in the same boat as some TimeWarner customers.

Lets not have another battle in this neverending holy war.

Some cable companies out there suck, and for those people, E* (or D*) are better.

For those of you lucky enough to live in an area served by Comcast, or some other company that doesnt charge you a fee for charging you additional fees, go for it.

There is no one good answer for this, it depends where you live.

Comcast IS 48 a month (but after taxes) for pretty much the same thing. (70ish channels).

It's when you get the promo (for 6 months to a year) deals that it becomes okay.

JPointerWI said:
Seems you are in the same boat as some TimeWarner customers.

Lets not have another battle in this neverending holy war.

Some cable companies out there suck, and for those people, E* (or D*) are better.

For those of you lucky enough to live in an area served by Comcast, or some other company that doesnt charge you a fee for charging you additional fees, go for it.

There is no one good answer for this, it depends where you live.

I have a 87 dollar bill a month, for Roadrunner, Digital Cable, HD, Hd dvr, Hbo, Hbo on demand, those prices beat my dishnetwork (hbo, at180,and hd, Voom, 3 recievers) and I get roadrunner, baiscally for free, so time warner has good pricing as far as I am concerned!

stuart628 said:
I have a 87 dollar bill a month, for Roadrunner, Digital Cable, HD, Hd dvr, Hbo, Hbo on demand, those prices beat my dishnetwork (hbo, at180,and hd, Voom, 3 recievers) and I get roadrunner, baiscally for free, so time warner has good pricing as far as I am concerned!

:eek:
How did you get that so cheap from TW? I just signed up for the digital cable package with roadrunner. Right now we have all the premiums but we're going to change that. I only have the one digital box that came with the plan and an additional DVR. No HD, no premiums on demand.. We're paying $140 or so.

^Tell me the secret! :)

I wasn't submitting this as a universal comparison. I just thought it was absurd when I read in today's paper that Charter was raising their prices on this already overpriced offering.

They don't even offer HD DVR support to my house. I can get a SD DVR and I can get their HD pack, but not an HD DVR. And if you buy into their Digital tier, the entire 75 basic channels are still in analog. You get some movie channels in digital, but most of the extra channels offered in digital are stuff like HGTV, the extra Discovery channels, etc. Regardless of how much you pay, channels like ESPN, Sci-Fi, TNT, all SD network locals, etc, will also be in analog. And their analog really looks crappy on a large HDTV.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)