My DIRECTV nightmare continues

Status
Please reply by conversation.

TheWeapon

Original poster
Aug 1, 2007
Let's start on a positive note :)

I just signed up at this site and it is a world of information - you guys do great work!

I am new to the US (from Australia) and after a lot of research, went with directv, mainly because of the HD, which I am very impressed with the picture quality. But that's where the positives end I'm afraid!

When I signed up, they took $418 out of my account without any notice or explanation. (Naturally I canceled). I called them, they apologized, explained that the $300 is for some sort of credit reason (being new to the country and having no credit history) but the rest they couldn't explain. So again, signed up, another $300 out of my account (the other wasn't refunded yet) but got some discounts on my rate.

The muppet they sent out to do the install had no idea, the wrong equipment, and eventually left saying that they'd come back with a different dish. They never returned. Nor did they return my calls. Then they canceled my account on me!!!!!

Maybe I'm a sucker for punishment, but I called up again, this time a real professional came out, mounted the dish on a stand, perfect reception, nice guy. He even helped me call in and get my rate down to $29.98 per month for the choice extra HD package.

AND GUESS WHAT?? Someone internal canceled the account! Not impressed. I got everything set up again, but I couldn't get the same rate - $44.99 was the best they could do - even after all the trouble.

Every bill I have had has been wrong. All around the $80 mark until I called and got it changed! I was charged for HD DVR when I didn't even have one, charged for additional receivers when I had only 1, the protection plan which I was told was free really wasn't....and so on.

And now for the final straw - I called about my most recent incorrect bill and thought I was getting a good deal, switching out my HD reciever for a HD DVR for $199 instead of $299. The installation guy comes out and says he can't do it because it requires 2 cables instead of 1!!!! The morons could have told me that beforehand!!! Damn!!! I would have thought the only reason for the second cable was for the receiver to perform 2 tasks at once - i.e.: recording something whilst watching something else. Apparently not. At least according to this guy. Though it wouldn't surprise me if he was wrong. I'll be asking my apartment manager about setting up the dual cable box (I'm not running the cables along the floor!)...but I'm not sure how well that'll go down!

So...any tips? haha. Sorry about the long story. I might do what someone mentioned - speaking to customer retention department and seeing what I can get....

This is by far the worst company I have ever had the displeasure of dealing with in my life. Most customer support people can barely string a sentence together. If it wasn't for the fact that the picture was so good I'd have canceled ages ago....and set fire to my dish! haha

Hey mate didn't you know Ruppert Murdock was also an Aussie, he still owns Directv though it is in the process of being sold.

Your problems all stem from not passing the CREDIT CHECK because you are a fee paying customer you don't qualify for any promotional pricing. No $29.99 no $199 HR20 discount. Yes it was an idiot that came out to install the HR20 it will work with 1 line connected, the 2 tuners won't work yet with 1 line but there is a SWM in field testing that probably will be available later this year. SWM Single Wire Multiswitch will allow 1 wire to operate both tuners.

yeah - you wouldn't believe the amount of problems we've had because of no credit history. Even buying a new car - I showed them bank history etc, could have bought the thing outright with cash, but most places wouldn't even SELL me a car! Even after I showed them my work contract and yearly salary! crazy!

Sorry for your bad experience, Mate! Try Dish Network next time. You'll only need the one cable for the DVR, and the HD quality is just as good, or better.

That's ok - these things happen, you just have to be persistent and speak to the right person.

I'm not surprised Mudoch owns it - the guy must own half the world by now. At least all the newspapers anyway.

I emailed Directv about my situation....I'll let you know how it goes. I have my fingers (and everything else) crossed :)

That's ok - these things happen, you just have to be persistent and speak to the right person.

I'm not surprised Mudoch owns it - the guy must own half the world by now. At least all the newspapers anyway.

I emailed Directv about my situation....I'll let you know how it goes. I have my fingers (and everything else) crossed :)

What email address did you use?

This is by far the worst company I have ever had the displeasure of dealing with in my life. Most customer support people can barely string a sentence together. If it wasn't for the fact that the picture was so good I'd have canceled ages ago....and set fire to my dish! haha

I hope you're not saying the MPEG2 HD on DirecTV looks good! :eek:

i don't understand not passing the credit check thingy. all three times i've had directv, all i had to pay was a 50 dollar deposit that was credited to the first bill. and i have some really terrible credit!

I know some people that weren't approved. E* wanted $600 for a vip211 and one 311. D* wanted full price for an H20 and D11. All the fine print says "subject to credit approval". You can't really blame them.! You need good credit for just about anything now days.E* has a Prepaid plan.DISH Network -- Prepaid

I was most impressed with the 'Planet Earth' series on discovery.... I'm not up to speed with whether they use MPEG 2 or better....but compared to the analog tv we have in Australia it looks pretty nice :)

I'm itching to buy a blu-ray player....but the bloody things are region-coded (which is bad if I go home to oz...but still, PS3's have a 110-240V power supply, and games are region free....I could just order the movies from amazon...)

As for the credit thing - no credit history is so much worse than a bad one. They wouldn't recognize anything from home - despite the fact that my car repayments were close to $800 per month, and I never missed one in 3 years. Oh well.

The email address I used to contact them was just the form on the website....is there a better one? I got a response saying someone will call me in the next 48 hours...accompanied with the usual "you're an important customer and we value your business, etc etc"

I was most impressed with the 'Planet Earth' series on discovery.... I'm not up to speed with whether they use MPEG 2 or better....but compared to the analog tv we have in Australia it looks pretty nice :)

It's a known fact that the MPEG2 HD channels are downrezzed and bitrate starved, their newer MPEG4 national HD channels that are coming soon should correct this though. I'm not trying to start a DirecTV bashing thread, but if you think those HD channels look good you ought to see some real full bandwidth 1920x1080i HD, you'd be floored.

Dont's worry about credit, You CAN always piggyback off of someone's else!

My utmost sympathy & empathy to you, my pal! Welcome to da USA. If you have extra $200 ~ $500 right now, i suggest invest it with a perfect credit profile. Just feel free to ask your relatives or close friends to share their credit history with you. It's easy as 1-2-3!!! ^^__^^ They would just cut up your card when it arrives and let them spend their own money. As for directv, don't keep chasing after losing ducks. Switch to Charlie's Network and you shall be enlightened with optimum HD Quality. Don't support a monopoly like Directv since it's still owned by rupert murdoch.

Ce beau temps fut un changement apprécié.
Vous pouvez utiliser ma machine à laver.
Bienvenue ! Les boissons sont de ce côté-ci.

The Weapon,
Everything you mentioned sounds ok............................ Let me put you on hold for a year or two..........
Actually...sorry but I can't fix any of it.
On the other side of the door, as an installer I once got an "emergency" call from an installation company that related to a customer who had been left for days without an installation. I contacted the customer and set an appointment for "after 8:00PM (dark) the next night to install his equipment and get him TV "by the weekend." At around 9:30PM the next night I called DTV to activate his system. They reported he had a credit issue from a previous account...so they would not activate his recently installed equipment. The installation company (P-10)did not pay me. But they did ask me if I would mind getting the equipment back to them.
We both have sad stories but look on the bright side. DTV didn't loose anything (much).

Joe

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)