My Dish Network Bill includes tax this month!!!!

jsanders

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 4, 2003
This is weird. I just looked online at my DishNetwork bill, and I see a $1 local tax on it.

I haven't heard of any satellite taxes in California. Has something changed? I called Dish Network, and the CSR first said the tax was for programming. Then she said it was for services, but couldn't say what the service was. Then she said it was a tax for a replacement 622 that I received three months ago. Then I said there was no charge for the replacement. Isn't the tax on $0.00 worth of merchandise $0.00? Then she said it was a tax on the shipping of the replacement 622 three months ago. Then I told her that when I go and ship something via UPS, that they don't charge me tax on it. I guess the tax is for the labor to put the replacement 622 in the box three months ago. They never charged me for handling on the replacement though. Shouldn't the tax on $0 of labor be $0?

She kept telling me to talk to my local government and ask them what the tax was for. Then I told her that the government wouldn't know about this tax because the bill doesn't specify what it is for.

She finally said she didn't know what it was for, and then gave me a 6-month credit on this $1 tax. I hope this isn't a recurring tax.

Here is the bill. Does anyone know what the tax is for??

Attachments

• DishBill.jpg
    DishBill.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 716
I have been with E* for about 21 months and have always had a tax on my bill. I live in MA. My current tax is:

STATE/LOCAL TAX (SALES/GROSS RECEIPTS) 0.65

Ken

Dunno. But why are you paying for having HDTV if you don't have it?

I have HDTV. I used to have the HDPack + Voom, but they took away my Voom channels a few months ago. Dish has given me the shaft at every opportunity they can.

So, now I'm left with 4 channels and paying $34/mo for them now. Doesn't sound like a good deal. DirecTV is looking better (I'm not under contract). An HTPC is looking even better. They can't charge me tax on the FTA stuff.

Hmmm. $6.72/mo sounds bad. I thought that the satellite TV tax legislation didn't pass. Can anyone explain what happened?? And what this tax is for exactly?

The state of California taxes on the S&H of hardware, accessories, guides, and leased equipment.

As for bumblebee8, your bill is higher because Mississippi charges tax on your programming. That stinks!

there is no federal taxs, but states and citys can charge their own tax. In the area I install, there is one city that has their own tax incurred. Its only like a dollar, but it is still annoying.

Why don't some of you get an OTA setup for your locals and then "move" to a market that doesn't have taxes?

Dgen, that would save you about $100 a year.

This is weird. I just looked online at my DishNetwork bill, and I see a $1 local tax on it.

I haven't heard of any satellite taxes in California. Has something changed? I called Dish Network, and the CSR first said the tax was for programming. Then she said it was for services, but couldn't say what the service was. Then she said it was a tax for a replacement 622 that I received three months ago. Then I said there was no charge for the replacement. Isn't the tax on $0.00 worth of merchandise $0.00? Then she said it was a tax on the shipping of the replacement 622 three months ago. Then I told her that when I go and ship something via UPS, that they don't charge me tax on it. I guess the tax is for the labor to put the replacement 622 in the box three months ago. They never charged me for handling on the replacement though. Shouldn't the tax on $0 of labor be $0?

She kept telling me to talk to my local government and ask them what the tax was for. Then I told her that the government wouldn't know about this tax because the bill doesn't specify what it is for.

She finally said she didn't know what it was for, and then gave me a 6-month credit on this $1 tax. I hope this isn't a recurring tax.

Here is the bill. Does anyone know what the tax is for??

Here in FL we have a tax that reads the same-it's for the County. We also pay 13.5% sales tax for Dish and/or cable services excluding the Internet if it is by itself not in a bundle. Call your local elected official & ask if they passes this tax recently.

there is no federal taxs, but states and citys can charge their own tax. In the area I install, there is one city that has their own tax incurred. Its only like a dollar, but it is still annoying.

Yeah, For now it's a dollar-wait a while. In FL we have so many BS taxes on ALL of out utility bills it's absurd. Some are as little as 2 cents.:(

Be glad they only charged you $1.00. I live in Mississippi and my tax is $6.72.

You must have a hellacious bill. I got $3.36 on a $50 bill here in tunica--I think its all state tax. I don't think tunica charges much tax on anything outside of gambling. :D That's why I live here (although I would not if I had kids).

I have HDTV. I used to have the HDPack + Voom, but they took away my Voom channels a few months ago. Dish has given me the shaft at every opportunity they can.

So, now I'm left with 4 channels and paying $34/mo for them now. Doesn't sound like a good deal. DirecTV is looking better (I'm not under contract). An HTPC is looking even better. They can't charge me tax on the FTA stuff.
Dish is not screwing you. You probably have a dish aiming problem or you are losing an lnb.

Run a check switch and see if you are getting all of the satellites you should be getting. Dish doesn't just start taking away channels. LOL

Dish is not screwing you. You probably have a dish aiming problem or you are losing an lnb.

Run a check switch and see if you are getting all of the satellites you should be getting. Dish doesn't just start taking away channels. LOL

Yes they do. Do you see the Voom channels on that bill I uploaded? Dish told me that while I had an MPEG4 receiver, since they were switching VOOM to MPEG4, it was convenient for Dish to cancel my subscription to VOOM. If I wanted to get VOOM back, my bill would have doubled. Dish gave me the shaft. They sent me an email with some incentive to switch to DishHD, but the CSR knew nothing about it when I called and wouldn't give it to me.

They have a very long history of doing things like this to me. I used to subscribe to a lot more stuff, but every time they stuck it to me, I reduced my subscription. Now, I am subscribing to just four channels from them.

Apparently the HD Pack is no longer available for subscription. I wonder how long they will let me keep it before they say I can't subscribe to that anymore! My guess is that next summer they will take that away from me too.

Hopefully I will find a better alternative before that happens!

I have been with E* for about 21 months and have always had a tax on my bill. I live in MA. My current tax is:

STATE/LOCAL TAX (SALES/GROSS RECEIPTS) 0.65

Ken

You must be leasing a receiver (and being charged sales tax on it) or getting magazines or something because there is no state satellite tax in MA. I only get taxed when I buy a new receiver or in January when Dish Entertainment Magazine renews.

Last edited:
Chadzx11, I live in West Point..Goooo Dawgs!!!! I know you are a Bulldog, did you see the game Sat.?? My bill is $102.68, I have a 622 with AT250, HD and DHPP with the leased receiver fee and DVR service fee.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts