My Dish Network Bill includes tax this month!!!!

Yes they do. Do you see the Voom channels on that bill I uploaded? Dish told me that while I had an MPEG4 receiver, since they were switching VOOM to MPEG4, it was convenient for Dish to cancel my subscription to VOOM. If I wanted to get VOOM back, my bill would have doubled. Dish gave me the shaft. They sent me an email with some incentive to switch to DishHD, but the CSR knew nothing about it when I called and wouldn't give it to me.

They have a very long history of doing things like this to me. I used to subscribe to a lot more stuff, but every time they stuck it to me, I reduced my subscription. Now, I am subscribing to just four channels from them.

Apparently the HD Pack is no longer available for subscription. I wonder how long they will let me keep it before they say I can't subscribe to that anymore! My guess is that next summer they will take that away from me too.

Hopefully I will find a better alternative before that happens!

Why would your bill double? I don't follow.

Why would your bill double? I don't follow.

I was only subscribing to the HDPack + Voom, no SD channels. When they took away the voom, they said I could subscribe to it again if I ordered Dish HD. That meant I had to order AT100 + the $20 HD Pack. Doing that would very nearly double my monthly bill.

Why don't some of you get an OTA setup for your locals and then "move" to a market that doesn't have taxes?

Dgen, that would save you about $100 a year.

I don't think I would suggest this.

Though I don't encourage it, it is one thing to try and trick Dish with a "move". Trying to trick the gov't too is just asking for a butt-kicking from them which they are always glad to provide at YOUR cost when it comes to taxes.

This is weird. I just looked online at my DishNetwork bill, and I see a $1 local tax on it.

I haven't heard of any satellite taxes in California. Has something changed? I called Dish Network, and the CSR first said the tax was for programming. Then she said it was for services, but couldn't say what the service was. Then she said it was a tax for a replacement 622 that I received three months ago. Then I said there was no charge for the replacement. Isn't the tax on $0.00 worth of merchandise $0.00? Then she said it was a tax on the shipping of the replacement 622 three months ago. Then I told her that when I go and ship something via UPS, that they don't charge me tax on it. I guess the tax is for the labor to put the replacement 622 in the box three months ago. They never charged me for handling on the replacement though. Shouldn't the tax on $0 of labor be $0?

She kept telling me to talk to my local government and ask them what the tax was for. Then I told her that the government wouldn't know about this tax because the bill doesn't specify what it is for.

She finally said she didn't know what it was for, and then gave me a 6-month credit on this $1 tax. I hope this isn't a recurring tax.

Here is the bill. Does anyone know what the tax is for??
I upgraded to a leased receiver in December 07 (Previously I was using my own). Afterward they started charging me monthly sales tax. When I inquired about it, I got the same run around you did. First the tax was for this, and then it was for something else, and so on. Finally I was told to check with my state, which I did. The State Department of Revenue sent me an email stating "The leased receiver is not subject to tax." They even referred to a court case that had made such a ruling. I relayed this information to Dish Network customer service by both phone and by email. I even faxed them a copy of the states reply. Results: The tax is still being charged and the only thing I've gotten from Dish Network is an attitude that implies "We know more than your state's tax department".

I was only subscribing to the HDPack + Voom, no SD channels. When they took away the voom, they said I could subscribe to it again if I ordered Dish HD. That meant I had to order AT100 + the $20 HD Pack. Doing that would very nearly double my monthly bill.

Why don't you sub to the HD Only pack for $29.99?

Why don't you sub to the HD Only pack for $29.99?
beat me to it, i was about to suggest the same thing. That would cut out the "access fee" and "hd enabling fee" saving you $12 off the total. I think the cost of locals would also drop to $5 since dishHD is a "qualifying package". Your final total (pre-tax) would be 40.97 which is only $6.01 more than you're paying now and you would get ALL the national HD channels.

One concern I have: was the original receiver OWNED or LEASED? If they by replacing a dead receiver, they have converted OWNED into a LEASE, that is a very bad thing. That would be one possible reason why they are charging tax where they weren't before.

I just had my owned receiver replaced last month, I'll be looking carefully at future billing.

I saw this thru a link on my account at E*. You might want to check it out.

Stop the Satellite Tax Now!

Is there an updated list on which states charge tax on Satellite services? According to this link, there were only 6 states. I live in Maine, and have been charged 5% tax on my programing for as long as I can remember. I own and have owned all my equipment from day one. Is everyone getting taxed on their programing?

Is there an updated list on which states charge tax on Satellite services? According to this link, there were only 6 states. I live in Maine, and have been charged 5% tax on my programing for as long as I can remember. I own and have owned all my equipment from day one. Is everyone getting taxed on their programing?

In VA it's not a satellite tax, it's a communications tax.
They added it to phone, cell, cable and satellite!!!!!!!!

Here is what I pay:

New Monthly Charge(s)
clear.gif
04/07 to 05/06
clear.gif

ADDITIONAL RECEIVER 5.00
clear.gif

DIGITAL HOME ADVANTAGE WITH AMERICA'S TOP 200 49.99
clear.gif

DISH NETWORK DVR SERVICEFEE 5.98
clear.gif

HBO 14.99
clear.gif

PROMO CREDIT - ADJUSTMENT-37.99
clear.gif
WITH LOCALS 0.00
dark_spacer.gif

Account Charges $ 37.97Total $ 37.97
dark_spacer.gif

TaxesSTATE/LOCAL TAX (SALES/GROSS RECEIPTS)4.66
dark_spacer.gif
Total Taxes $ 4.66

I have had the same receivers for the last 3 years. I think I own them by now

Here is what I pay:

New Monthly Charge(s)
clear.gif
04/07 to 05/06
clear.gif

ADDITIONAL RECEIVER 5.00
clear.gif

DIGITAL HOME ADVANTAGE WITH AMERICA'S TOP 200 49.99
clear.gif

DISH NETWORK DVR SERVICEFEE 5.98
clear.gif

HBO 14.99
clear.gif

PROMO CREDIT - ADJUSTMENT-37.99
clear.gif
WITH LOCALS 0.00
dark_spacer.gif

Account Charges $ 37.97Total $ 37.97
dark_spacer.gif

TaxesSTATE/LOCAL TAX (SALES/GROSS RECEIPTS)4.66
dark_spacer.gif
Total Taxes $ 4.66

I have had the same receivers for the last 3 years. I think I own them by now

Dish receivers aren't "lease-to-own". Since "DIGITAL HOME ADVANTAGE" is a lease program, you don't own them.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)