My dish plans

chipvideo

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 31, 2005
Well I am just going to not pay any reciever upgrade. Why in the heck should I. I was never informed by dish that I would need a new reciever less than a year later when I joined dish. I have two 811's and currently subscribe to the hdpack and voom as well as 180 and hbo and show. I will drop my voom and when hd dvd comes out hbo and show as well. I just can't beleive they want me to pay so I can see more hd channels. Well they are going to lose $10 per month from me to save $49. My contract is up in june and will probably go to comcast as there is no commitment time frame from them and if they ever decide to upgrade and go to a different compression I will not have to pay any type of upgrade upfront. Oh and the most important factor if I go to comcast is they have a much better looking picture quality in my area. The standard def channels that I compared are pretty damn good. No pixleization and the dish ones I compared to it had massive blocks. I mean it was like nite and day. I just feel that dish picture quality is never going to be as good as cable. Wow how times have changed.

I don't understand dishes way of thinking. They want to have their cake and eat it too. I think dish should absorb 100% of the conversion to mpeg4 as it was their decision to do so. If I bought a car and then 2 months later find out that I will need to change my engine because somone decided that gas will no longer be avaible I would expect somone who made that decision to pay for the change 100% out of their pocket.

Last edited:
chipvideo said:
They want to have their cake and eat it too. I think dish should absorb 100% of the conversion to mpeg4 as it was their decision to do so. If I bought a car and then 2 months later find out that I will need to change my engine because somone decided that gas will no longer be avaible I would expect somone who made that decision to pay for the change 100% out of their pocket.

A more accurate analogy would be...You bought a car and 2 months later the manufacturer came out with a new model that gets much better gas mileage. Gas is still available and your car can still do everything it could when you bought it, but you want better mileage. You have two choices, stick with the car you just bought or fork over the $ for the new model. Do you really think the dealer or manufacturer would give you a new car?.

NightRyder

chipvideo said:
Well I am just going to not pay any reciever upgrade. Why in the heck should I.

Because you are paying for new chips which will process new Mpeg4 video. :rolleyes:
I recommend to upgrade your user name to cheapvideo. Then you can demand whatever you think you are entitled to.:D

NightRyder said:
A more accurate analogy would be...You bought a car and 2 months later the manufacturer came out with a new model that gets much better gas mileage. Gas is still available and your car can still do everything it could when you bought it, but you want better mileage. You have two choices, stick with the car you just bought or fork over the $ for the new model. Do you really think the dealer or manufacturer would give you a new car?.
NightRyder

I do not think that is a good anaology for what dish is doing. The reason is that eventually dish will have to swap out recievers for free sooner or later. Once they decide to turn over the channels you are watching and paying to mpeg4 they will legally have to change your reciever so that you can view the channels that you are paying for. The whole point is that dish is trying to make money for their decision to change to mpeg4. Just because they are publicly traded doesn't mean I have to bend over and have them give it to me.

I mean what if people bought a $700 receiver two months ago and then find out they cant get any more hd channels in the future unless they give their reciever away and then get one in place that they don't even own. That is just criminal. I used to tell everyone to go to dish as it is the best service avaible. I am now telling people to not even think about it. I am telling them to go to cable as it is the best deal around now as far as quality and not having to worry about coughing up money to fund their changing ways.

Minsk1 said:
Because you are paying for new chips which will process new Mpeg4 video. :rolleyes:
I recommend to upgrade your user name to cheapvideo. Then you can demand whatever you think you are entitled to.:D

Why should anyone have to pay because a provider decided to change the chip. That is rediculous. Dish never told anyone about the change. Not everyone goes to these message boards.

And one last comment. The new chip does not make the video quality any better. What it does is allow dish to put more overly compressed channels onto a transponder. Its the dish way. You have to go by what dish has done in the past. They were great when they started and now the video quality has gotten worse. Don't expect it to get better.

Last edited:
You won't find any comfort with this group. I just left Dish for DirecTV. I got a plasma set in the living room for Christmas and wanted an HD DVR. Dish wouldn't budge on the $699 "deal" for a 942 and I get two OTA tuners now, instead of 1. Retention calls me today and tells me they will soon have a great deal for me...too late....I'm into DirecTV for a 2 year contract and I'm very satisfied.

Seems for every one person who complains about Dish, there will be 10% who empathize and 90% who criticize. It's as if they all have a stake in Dish.

Look how long Charlie has strung us out on "more HD is coming", MPEG 4 is coming....

chipvideo said:
I do not think that is a good anaology for what dish is doing. The reason is that eventually dish will have to swap out recievers for free sooner or later. Once they decide to turn over the channels you are watching and paying to mpeg4 they will legally have to change your reciever so that you can view the channels that you are paying for. The whole point is that dish is trying to make money for their decision to change to mpeg4.

You may not like my analogy but it is much more representative of this situation than yours.

Make money? Do you really believe $49 even begins to cover the cost of the 211 + Dish 1000 and the service call? Dish's offer on the 811 is fair, yes the 921 and 942 owners need and deserve a better deal (the 921 owners also deserve a purple heart :) ), hopefully Dish will realize that and adjust their program accordingly.

If cable is a better option in your location then that's where I'd be headed, life is too short to be making a big deal out of choice of a utility provider.

NightRyder

Last edited:
chipvideo said:
Why should anyone have to pay because a provider decided to change the chip. That is rediculous. Dish never told anyone about the change. Not everyone goes to these message boards.
And one last comment. The new chip does not make the video quality any better. What it does is allow dish to put more overly compressed channels onto a transponder. Its the dish way. You have to go by what dish has done in the past. They were great when they started and now the video quality has gotten worse. Don't expect it to get better.

Again nobody force you to buy new chips. Old chips will process all old Mpeg2 video you ordered just fine for couple years. And then when Dish will shutdown Mpeg2 video you will receive free new chips. But remember only chips.:D You will need to subscribe to new chanells to view them.
I'll upgrade my chips now and subscribe to new video also now. So I am actually a chipvideo and you are ... cheapvideo.:D

mikew said:
You won't find any comfort with this group. I just left Dish for DirecTV. I got a plasma set in the living room for Christmas and wanted an HD DVR. Dish wouldn't budge on the $699 "deal" for a 942 and I get two OTA tuners now, instead of 1. Retention calls me today and tells me they will soon have a great deal for me...too late....I'm into DirecTV for a 2 year contract and I'm very satisfied.
Seems for every one person who complains about Dish, there will be 10% who empathize and 90% who criticize. It's as if they all have a stake in Dish.
Look how long Charlie has strung us out on "more HD is coming", MPEG 4 is coming....

Interesting that you point out about DirecTV, though. My parents have been with them for several years and they pull the same stuff on their customers as Dish does. If they were to abandon DirecTV in a few months, they'd probably get a superior deal with Dish for the new HD stuff for their new TV, but DirecTV won't budge on their HD-DVR.

It's the same no matter where you go. Your best bet appears to lease with one company for a certain period of time, then switch, then come back, and so on. Seems the best way to get the best deals on new equipment.

Well when you want to buy that new engine that gets better gas mileage your not having to trade in your old one to lease the new one and having to pay to switch it out and have to return it when your done with it. You lost your investment in your initial one.

Stargazer said:
Well when you want to buy that new engine that gets better gas mileage your not having to trade in your old one to lease the new one and having to pay to switch it out and have to return it when your done with it. You lost your investment in your initial one.

Continuing the car analogy. It's your choice.

1. Live with the car and the poorer mileage

2. Sell the car and buy or lease the new improved one.

3. Trade the car in for whatever current deal is being offered. In this case a lease (or is it?).

I own all of my own equipment, so I do understand, but looking at some the alternatives gave me a better appreciation of E* offer.

Dish Depot

2211 With DISH1000

Free UPS Ground Shipping! Price : $498.00. Now $439.00

New MPEG4 Technology is HERE! HD VoIP 211 Receiver, Remote and Smart Card allows access to future HD Channels! SHIPS WITH DISH1000, which receives 119, 110 and 129 (Some local cities and VOOM HD) Satellites. Can feed the 211 and one additional receiver or a dual tuner with separator. Trade In Credits For: 6000, 811 and 721s = $75 Credit Upon Return. Trade In Credits For: 501, 508 and 510s = $50 Credit Upon Return. PREPAID UPS RETURN LABELS PROVIDED!

NightRyder

Last edited:
Minsk1 said:
Again nobody force you to buy new chips. Old chips will process all old Mpeg2 video you ordered just fine for couple years. And then when Dish will shutdown Mpeg2 video you will receive free new chips. But remember only chips.:D You will need to subscribe to new chanells to view them.
I'll upgrade my chips now and subscribe to new video also now. So I am actually a chipvideo and you are ... cheapvideo.:D

I hardly think you can see I am cheapvideo. I have over $30K invested in my setup. It is all about principal. After reading more on the news comming out it looks like they may be doing something better than what was said last night. Heck I would fork over $100 per reciever to upgrade if I was assured the quality of the video would get better and not worse. I just want quality picture is all. I will just wait this out and see what happens until summer. Also I have a dish1000 that I bought already, so I wont need any service to come out. If they just sent them out I could hook them up.

chipvideo said:
I hardly think you can see I am cheapvideo. I have over $30K invested in my setup. It is all about principal. After reading more on the news comming out it looks like they may be doing something better than what was said last night. Heck I would fork over $100 per reciever to upgrade if I was assured the quality of the video would get better and not worse. I just want quality picture is all. I will just wait this out and see what happens until summer. Also I have a dish1000 that I bought already, so I wont need any service to come out. If they just sent them out I could hook them up.

$30K:rolleyes:
And you are upset about $49? Which will cost Dish ~$400?
Sorry, but I don't get it.
I am just happy. Only wish the rebate offer can be applied from February in time for UniversalHD Olympics coverage (tons of hockey there;)

Its not about the money. The fact is that I will get zero performance in video quality from upgrading. I am looking for the best programming with the best video quality. Dish isn't doing that.

If comcast can give you free receivers without having to fork out money to upgrade then dish can as well. When you think about it if you get comcast everything they have you are paying the same as dish over time. With dish you have to add in the $299 upfront cost for the dvr. ANother thing is that if you have a hdtv with built in tuner and you have a tuner card you don't pay the receiver fee either cause you dont need it.

I would much rather get a starzhd than all the voom together. I like quality content.

Now if dish would come out with a reciever that would give me higher quality picture and sound then I would have a reason to upgrade. Actually dish is doing me a favor with this. I will save $10 per month for my hd verses any new hd sub going forward. I am not going to commit to dropping down any cash at the moment as it would do nothing for my viewing experience. Hardly watch espn2 and the uhd I saw the programming and I don't think I would watch it either. The voom channels none of them get my interest. These are the hd channels I watch on dish now:HBO,SHO,ESPN sometimes,DiscoverHD rarely. What I really want is more movie channels like starz and cinemax. Comcast has them all and the picture quality is impressive too boot. I will wait this out. Just like I will wait until next Dec for the hd dvd and bluray fight explode. There is just no reason to fork out some dough now with the uncertanties going on in the hd scene. When netflix offers hd dvd and or bluray for a reasonable monthly fee I will then drop all movie channels and just have the standard hd and watch very high quality hd on bluray.

I just don't see dish and directv being a high quality picture leader in hd for quite a few years down the road. They used to tout the service, now they don't have enough space to have full resolution high quality bit rate that cable has now.

I haven't seen what Gary has with his hdvcr on his big screen. I do know that from what I have heard it has the wow factor. That is gone with dish and directv for now. You have to remember. Tv's are getting better every year. The better the tv the more the signal degradation appears on that screen. The same thing with my audio system. When you have $12000 electrostatic front speakers you really can tell the difference between a high quality cd from the likes of madonna or a mediocre one from just about 90% of the rest. Its the same comparison with a high quality tv and the signal being sent to it.

Last edited:
I just doubt that Comcast eq. will provide superb quality you are looking for. I doubt any provider will be able to do what you ask. You will be better off with HD DVD and/or Blu Ray DVD plaeyrs.

Minsk1 said:
I just doubt that Comcast eq. will provide superb quality you are looking for. I doubt any provider will be able to do what you ask. You will be better off with HD DVD and/or Blu Ray DVD plaeyrs.

Well from what I have seen the OTA and comcast are vertually identical in quality and dish was well not even comparable. I am just plugging in my split cable line from my modem into my tv and it has as good as my OTA locals. Also looking at some of the movies that aren't encrypted they look damn good for 480i signals. I think I am lucky and have had upgraded stuff in my area. I guess being in one of the larger markets is a plus as well.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)