My DTV installation, what do you think?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Rebollos

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 19, 2007
I had DTV install yesterday, the tech was on time at 8 am, it was scheduled for between 8 am and 12 pm. He installed a HD DVR (HR21), a HD receiver and a standard receiver. He didn't have any problems connecting a HD receiver to a SDTV, but he installed a wall plate, and then he told me if I wanted that it will cost me $10 because it is not included in the free installation deal.

He installed the HR21 with component cables, he said that if I wanted HDMI cables he had some in the truck but it will cost me $10 each, I said no, since I can get the cables cheaper at monoprice.

I called DISH to cancel, I have been with DISH since 1996, and they offered me to stay, HBO free for one month.....

Sounds like a scammer installer. I had D* installed on 11-01. They gave me HR22 and R22. With the HR22 it came with HDMI cable. He didn't ask for an additional dollar.

As for staying or going back. It depends on what you watch for programming. If it is NFL Sunday Ticket and want the NCAA Tournament package then your choice is easy. If you are inclined to go back to Dish I would hold out for a lot more. Try sending an email to Charles Ergren. It will get dump to a customer relations person who will give you the world. They did this for me but it was well after the fact. I emailed over the auto drafted for $750 for equipment they took 2 weeks to process back into the system. In that case I got a call offering me a truckload if I wanted to come back. I never went back because of poor signal drops.

I agree with big dawg on the installer. those cables come in the box the dvr is in. you should report this to directv. this installer is trying to take advantage of people. my installer gave me extra hdmi cables besides the ones that came in the box. i didn't need them since i buy my own cables some place else but it was nice of him.

If he did a good install, leave him alone. Otherwise, definitely report him. These techs are underpaid for the work they do. Im not condoning his actions, but don't get a good tech fired. Shelling out a few extra dollars for a good install is much better than getting a free hacked job.

If he did a good install, leave him alone. Otherwise, definitely report him. These techs are underpaid for the work they do. Im not condoning his actions, but don't get a good tech fired. Shelling out a few extra dollars for a good install is much better than getting a free hacked job.

So as long as he does good work, it's okay if he is dishonest?

That is just plain wrong. These installers are greedy and sacrafice DTV customers to make their extra buck. I tried to do an HD DVR upgrade, and the installer said that they could not mount the dish in the same place as the old one, and would have to reroute new wires, intall a tripod and the wires would have to be run all over the house (making it look tacky). These idiots proably told me this because they did not make the 12-4 deadline, and they where going to reshedule. I called and told them to cancel my service, as I would not be taking another day off for the install. They show up at 6:30 pm, and they they tell me that it will cost me at least $200 to get it installed because this would not be a standard installation. That is just plain wrong. My neighbor got his upgrade using the same mounting pole that he had his standard definition dish on.

-Al

I had DTV install yesterday, the tech was on time at 8 am, it was scheduled for between 8 am and 12 pm. He installed a HD DVR (HR21), a HD receiver and a standard receiver. He didn't have any problems connecting a HD receiver to a SDTV, but he installed a wall plate, and then he told me if I wanted that it will cost me $10 because it is not included in the free installation deal.

He installed the HR21 with component cables, he said that if I wanted HDMI cables he had some in the truck but it will cost me $10 each, I said no, since I can get the cables cheaper at monoprice.

I called DISH to cancel, I have been with DISH since 1996, and they offered me to stay, HBO free for one month.....

I just had my first DTV install last week. It went very well.

The service tech used my own HDMI cable and them told me one came with the box and told me to keep it.

Never asked me for anything.

Regardless if was a good install or not, people should not be taking advantage of people. My first intention would be to report him, but since times are tight for everyone, I'd hate to report him and have him lose his job. He might have a family, kids, medical issues....who knows.

My second intention would be to let it alone. Maybe you can consider it a charity donation...

Happy Thanksgiving to all!

So as long as he does good work, it's okay if he is dishonest?

Did you even read my post? IMO, a tech doing a half ass job, not running second line for DVR's and a whole slew of other things is more dishonest than bilking a customer for a few dollars. Just as its dishonest for a customer walking into BestBuy and telling the employee he's buying an HDTV for his DTV and the salesman insist on selling him a $70 HDMI cable. And I will assure you that most sup's will turn a blind eye as long as nobody complains. If you turned in techs for every wrong thing they have done intentionally, you wouldn't have any techs left.

Did you even read my post? IMO, a tech doing a half ass job, not running second line for DVR's and a whole slew of other things is more dishonest than bilking a customer for a few dollars. Just as its dishonest for a customer walking into BestBuy and telling the employee he's buying an HDTV for his DTV and the salesman insist on selling him a $70 HDMI cable. And I will assure you that most sup's will turn a blind eye as long as nobody complains. If you turned in techs for every wrong thing they have done intentionally, you wouldn't have any techs left.

You really don't get it, do you?

Definitely report him. Those cables are included and cannot be charged for. This is clearly fraud and he should be disciplined for it.

Status
Please reply by conversation.