my e-mail from Dish about HD PQ

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

ehren

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 8, 2006
Wisconsin
"Regarding our distribution of MPEG4 HD channels at full resolution, please understand that we strive to offer a robust package of HD services at the best possible resolution without serious degradation in picture quality. The HD market is relatively new and we are actively researching new technology that support the needs of our customers and our business. You may, from time to time, see fluctuations in the picture quality as we add more HD services and implement new systems and strategies. Your patience and support in this effort is greatly appreciated."

What the hell????

" You may, from time to time, see fluctuations in the picture quality as we add more HD services and implement new systems and strategies. Your patience and support in this effort is greatly appreciated."

What the hell????

You sure you didn't send it to Direct?:D

Remember. You are dealing with the same bunch that cannot count. 70 hd channels:)

Is there a definitive list somewhere of what resolutions E* HD channels are at? I understand that some, but not all, are "HD lite".

I've heard that Voom channels are around 1440 wide instead of 1920, but I must say, they still tend to look good.

Is there a definitive list somewhere of what resolutions E* HD channels are at? I understand that some, but not all, are "HD lite".

I've heard that Voom channels are around 1440 wide instead of 1920, but I must say, they still tend to look good.
My take is that if you can't tell by looking at it, what difference does it make. I get all my locals OTA and, with my 52" Panny LCD, I just can't see much difference between those and the DishNet HD channels. HD Lite is so far superior to SD that I am happy. BTW, even with a strong signal, the OTAs occasionally revert to SD for a few minutes during an HD program and have occasional audio drops, so the technology is still evolving.

There you have it Eric.... no much different, but there is a differnce. To some any differnce is too much. Also, mattopia, there is another factor to PQ it's bitrate. Reducing the rate most of the time is worse then reducing the resolution. I would not be supprised if E* does both.

At 52" you may not be able to tell a difference.

At 100" on a 1080p projector, there is most certainly a noticeable difference. The difference is usually in more digital artifacts due to the extra compression on the bit starved channels.

I had the Voom box going DVI into a 3 chip 1080P projector at Voom's full resolution. I can say that NO channel on Dish looks like any of those channels on the beloved voom....sniff. But DVR more then makes up for it. HBO, Showtime and all the Vooms were full resolution and looked AMAZING. Dish is compressing everything quite a bit from what I can see. Pity.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)