My first 2 year agreement is over...Now what?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

fightfan

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Jul 31, 2010
Parts unknown
As the thread title states, my first 2 year agreement with DTV is up. It has been a good two years. I used to have Charter and loved it, the only reason I switched was I was tired of depriving myself of the Sunday ticket! Now Charter has the redzone channel so I now have some options here, could go back to charter as it is less expensive and they now have the redzone.

Since I am now out of contract I feel I probably have some leverage here for DTV to get me to stay. Here are the things in order that I am interested in..

Sunday Ticket
The new bigger DVR
More programing (showtime, HBO, etc)

So my questions are...Will DTV wheel and deal with me to get me to sign another 2 year agreement? Do you have any leverage at all if you stay out of contract with them and ask for discounts on programing or equipment in the futrure? Or would it be best for me to ask for all that I want now and sign another 2 year agreement?

Suggestions please.

Being out of contract is better for bargaining leverage for sure. I have seen the HR34 given away, up to full cost of $399 for it. Programming like the ST is often reduced or free, too. Only a call will tell you what you can get. You are going to get a better deal from retention compared to the front line csr, but be careful. If you threaten too hard to leave, they may just let you! Good luck!

you can call retention and see what they can do. Since you are out of contract you have options :)

it doesnt hurt to call a couple times and see what they can do. Sometimes they may not do anything. Don't let it discourage you and try another time
The premium channels they will give you a deal....thats normal.
NFL ST usually around August is when they can deal

If you call be ready to cancel.

Set the date up for 3 weeks or so in the future

If they can't give you what you want go ahead and pull the trigger on canceling for the future date. See if you get an email or a save call back.

If not, move on and come back in a year or two.

Being out of contract is better for bargaining leverage for sure. I have seen the HR34 given away, up to full cost of $399 for it. Programming like the ST is often reduced or free, too. Only a call will tell you what you can get. You are going to get a better deal from retention compared to the front line csr, but be careful. If you threaten too hard to leave, they may just let you! Good luck!

Don't expect ALL of that to be given to you ....

If you call be ready to cancel.

Set the date up for 3 weeks or so in the future

If they can't give you what you want go ahead and pull the trigger on canceling for the future date. See if you get an email or a save call back.

If not, move on and come back in a year or two.

However, if he really doesn't want to leave, I wouldn't go that route.
Cancel and resign 3 weeks later ... and do what in the mean time ?

OP,
You DO have the most leverage at the moment, however you really don't have to ever be in a commitment after the first 2 years, but if you want New equipment, you'll be required to have one.

I would look over your options carefully and decide what it is about the ST and RZ that you like ...
Most ST fans have it for thier team (out of market), those that only have it for the Fantasy value go with the RZ channel.

Personally, I could NEVER have just the RZ channel as I cannot see MY game with it.

Is the redzone and mix channel only in the max package this year? If so, I think I'll try to get just redzone from D*. You could try to get this too, OP

Sent from my iPhone

is calling late at night less effective than calling during the day? what about weekend vs weekday?

NFL ST is being given Free on a 1-year extension to some subs, I myself got the NFL ST for free with 1yr deal, it doesn't include RedZone and To-Go, though some have gotten all of that free too.

Not sure you would get ST, Hr 34 and discounts on Premiums for 1 2yr deal.

Do whatever works for you. I've always had good luck with calling up and asking, "can you tell me if I'm currently under agreement?" knowing all too well that my agreement is up. After answering my question, it is always followed with "Do you mind me asking why?" Well, let me tell you about the call I just got from my local cable provider about their customer buyback program...

This eliminates the need to potentially have to follow through or look stupid on a cancellation threat.

is calling late at night less effective than calling during the day? what about weekend vs weekday?

I think I recall "Stonecold" mentioning that Monday's were the best time to call since the credits either get "reset" or something similar. I'm going by memory on this one though.

I do recall other posters that have mentioned it's best (if one wants to decrease the chances of being routed overseas) to call M-F during day hours.

When I've called for ST discounts the last 3-4 years, I've always called early in the week during 9am-3pm CDT hours and have had good results. I have had to do the "roulette" thing a couple of times to get an offer that met my goal.

I'm out of contract, have been since Oct '10. As I recall that last year, that part didn't seem to matter to the Retention CSR's. I got my deal on the 2nd call but had to haggle a bit and took the 3rd offer which met my goal of a min of 50% off the list price. I believe it was about 60% off the list price last year.

From what I'm reading here this season, I should be able to get the ST (not Max, as I'm not needing it) either for free with a 1-yr contract extension, or perhaps for $99. Either deal is ok for me as the 1-yr extension won't matter to me, having been at DTV sub since '99.

I have 1 credit on my acct at present; the free HD credit.

You do need to speak to someone in retention (say cancel at the voice prompts to get there) but from there you don't need to threaten to cancel. Simply state that Charter is making attractive offers and ask what DTV is willing to do to counter that. If it's not enough for you, you don't need to commit to anything at that point. Ask the CSR to note the account and tell him/her you'd like to think about it.

My contract is up in 2 days.
I called asked what options I had telling them I have offers from Dish and Charter. Direct offered me $10 off each month for two years to to extend another two years. ETF was dropped to $5 per month. I took it. No intention of leaving:)

This website continues to save me $ on my home entertainment:)

Last edited:
I called asked what options I had telling them I have offers from Dish and Charter. Direct offered me $10 off each month for two years to to extend another two years. ETF was dropped to $5 per month. I took it. No intention of leaving:)

Thats the first time I've heard of the ETF being lowered as a negotiation ploy.

Wonder if you actually were to leave, if they would remember that quote ?

all you got was $10/mo off for reupping? or did they also give you a receiver?

Jimbo said:
Thats the first time I've heard of the ETF being lowered as a negotiation ploy.

Wonder if you actually were to leave, if they would remember that quote ?

I called just after I hung up and all is on my account notes.
I do bundle with AT&T.

Lkr said:
all you got was $10/mo off for reupping? or did they also give you a receiver?

No receiver. Don't need another. Happy with my HR24's and H24 and MRV.
Ten dollars less is better than ten more.:)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)