my first C-Band set up, need tips (Intelsat 9)

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Ok, I found I-9 on 58W, difficult to fine tune but i got a general signal . . . it found most stations but unfortunately my two DW stations on tp 8 are not there.
Any advise?

Only fine tuning. With an undersized dish, you may have to tweak every 'last' db out of the dish and LNBF. Even then, there's no guarantees.
DW is there, I just scanned it in with the Pansat3500(to make sure it's hasn't changed to DVB-S2. Lyngsat has been known to be wrong)

ok, just one minor problem:

Reception out on the field is ok for both DW channels (one is on 200 the other on 204 on the Lexium) signal intensity: 95, quality: 72.

But after an approx. 300 feet run to the house with 2 inline amps:
* 200 is black (no picture)
* 204 has switched to Al Jazerra (even though the guide says DW)

Signal meters read about the same intensity and quality.
Any advise ?

ok, just one minor problem:

Reception out on the field is ok for both DW channels (one is on 200 the other on 204 on the Lexium) signal intensity: 95, quality: 72.

But after an approx. 300 feet run to the house with 2 inline amps:
* 200 is black (no picture)
* 204 has switched to Al Jazerra (even though the guide says DW)

Signal meters read about the same intensity and quality.
Any advise ?
Do you get signals/video without the line amps in place?

I took the 2 inline Amps (SadounS-SA01 900-2150) out and replaced it with couplings.
Not really any change.
Naturally the signal is a little weaker.

I will do a test on 2 intermediate points.

200 yards beyond the dish I still have DW (that's all one piece of cable). Then I have another splint 20 yards further towards the house; there is still DW reception.
Then I have a final cable run of about 100 yards into the house where there is reception on all station (so it seems) but not on DW.

Feet or yards? Three time the distance.... Is all of this RG6? RG59 could reduce a signal in 20 feet with two connectors, RG6 should go OK at 300 feet. A marginal connector or a kink in the co-ax can wipe out the signal. I found a kink in one run about 175 feet / 95 feet and had lost all signal. I cut out the 2 inches at the kink and put on connectors and a barrel and got all signal back. So good connectors caused less problem them a kink.

all top quality cable:
200 yards of RG8 (I believe) quad insulated and water proofed and all the rest is even better and thicker (with a thicker copper core, RG12 or so).

Being "all the other channels seem to work". Another thing to try is reprogram the transponder freq plus or minus, up to around 5Mhz, from the nominal 3840Mhz.
Inline amp should be inline where the sig noise ratio is best. meaning near the LNB. Why amplify a weak noisy signal? The amp has to have the headroom available for the resultant signal level or distortion will occur causing all sorts of headaches. I'd see what happens with one amp at the dish.
300 Feet or 300 Yards? 300 ft should work with good quality RG-6. 300 Yards may require RG-11 and an amp. Splice free is better. A few xtra db loss in a splice.
If it's 300 yards, anothr alternative is a remote extender to send the remote commands down the coax to the receiver that's been re-located to near the dish. The receiver will send Ch3 RF back to be connected to the TV. I've had success doing this up to around 200 ft, but don't know about 300 yards.

FEET not yards, sorry about the mistake.

ok, I measured it exactly: 260 feet
All top quality cable:
* 180 feet of RG7 or8 (the core is 1mm) quad insulated and water proofed
and all the rest is even better and thicker (with a thicker 1.6mm/14AWG copper core: Belden T-1517A, 75Ohm Series 11).

The only attenuation spec I can find for RG-7 (-41.5db/100m) puts it near 13.8db/100ft @ 1000MHZ 180ft attenuation would be near 25db. If it's RG8, attenuation will be more because of the mis-match.
Good quality RG-6 attenuation is usually less than 7 or 8db for 100 ft . That would only be 14 - 16db at 180ft
4610903/10 | 5730 WHRL RG6 60 1000
RG11 is even less. It doesn't make sense that attenuation is the problem though. Since you say the other channels are working(???)
Could one of these cables be 50 Ohm? Like RG8? I can't locate "Belden [and/or] T-1517A" Anywhere.
Guess, because I don't really have a clue at this point, would be to try a single run of known good RG6 or RG11. Then, the unknown variables are removed.

Sorry, I do not have much of an idea about the RG ratings of cable. But both are quality cable RG6 at least and the other with a much thicker core. Both types work on DBS fine.
Tomorrow I will throw another cable through the window to test the last 80 feet where the DW signal does not come through.
Will keep you updated.

The strange thing is that DW-America changed to Al Jazerra on these last 80 feet !!!! (even though the box indicates still DW channel 204) most other channels seem to work fine. btw. The reason for my entire C band adventure is to get DW Amerika.
ww

May have figutred it out. AJE and DW Am are on the same frequency. Just the other polarity. Double checked with my S9, and it's true. Don't think I've seen any other that use the same freq on the other polarity any where else.
V polarity is 13V at the LNBF, H is 18V. Think, maybe you're losing LNB voltage.
Do any other horizontal channels work?? 3720 H 21000 chan 800- 3880 H 27690 cctv

Same freq- opposite polarity, same SR:
3840 V 27690 Al Jazeera English V&A pids 1860 1820
3840 H 27690 DW Amerika V&A pids: 1660 1622
Seems you shoulda got 'scrambled' as the PIDs are different.

For a quick test, twist the LNBF 90°. That will 'invert' your H and V selection. Sort of, but should enable getting H polarity TP's with the receiver selecting H. But the LNBF is using the V probe, because the voltage to it isn't high enough, but we've placed the V probe horizontal.
Hope that made sense as I'm beginning to confuse myself.

Last edited:
Ok, I thought there would be some logical explanation. This would make totally sense.
I am busy today but will test it tomorrow.

I understand: The lnb is currently on -60 skew.
do I turn the skew to +60 ?

thanks a lot.
ww

if I look from the lnb towards the dish:
currently the lnb is tilted to the left to about 10 o'clock (12 o'clock is no tilt)
so I just tilt it to 2 o'clock, I guess !?
or +30 would be 1 o'clock.

thanks . .

Yes ! it changed to DW. (+10 skew).
Perfect, thanks . . . this was very smart.
I am all smiling.

The next days I have to find out how to generally fix the V/H problem with the long run but for now i am all happy.

Thanks again.
ww

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)