Status
Please reply by conversation.

Mr Tony

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 17, 2003
Mankato, MN
I got my Geosat PLL LNB from the contest the other day and finally got to try it out. The one thing right away is that I am using a 76cm dish. Since it is not 2 degree compliant and a couple other LNB's I've tried gave me bad results I really wanted to try it out

The existing LNB was a Sadoun dual .4 that has been up there a few years. With the 76cm dish getting bleedover a good LNB is kinda a necessity. I have tried one of the Geosat duals (the mini) and on the 76cm dish saw worse results than the Sadoun (few points less). Reason being the Sadoun LNB had more scaler rings on it so it can reject more. On the fixed 90cm I have the Geosat worked better.

Now then on to the testing. All tests were done on a nice Saturday between 2-4:30PM (wasnt too hot...only 79) with the MicroHD and the 76cm Winegard dish. Normal scan was done except for 103 & 125 where the detail scan was done.

Satellites tested
83, 87,101,103 (both skewed properly and not),123,125. Skewed properly means the 26 skew offset was done.

First sat was 83W and RTV was a real pain. The Micro with Sadoun LNB the quality bounced between 65-70 while the GeoSat was between 61-65. NBC feed registered the same

87W yielded about the same quality for both LNB's on transponders there. However the GeosatPro picked up the ever tricky 12009 H 2170 (KTEL Telemundo) transponder on a blind scan.

101W yielded about the same quality on both LNB's. But what I started ot notice was the Sadoun LNB seemed to have the quality meter bounce around between numbers. The GeosatPro stayed the same. So in some cases the GeosatPro may have yielded a lower number (51 vs 53) having a stable number to me was important especially if you are aiming a dish.

103W I did two tests.....with the "normal" (or wrong) skew and the "right" skew
On the wrong skew the Geosat found an extra transponder and actually locked it
With the "right" skew it found another transponder. The big thing was again the stability of the LNB. The quality meter lit up and STUCK...didnt bounce around all the time.

123W throws a couple extras into the mix. 2 TP's real close to each other (4Mhz) and a low symbol rate S2 channel. The Sadoun LNB missed both DVB-S2 Transponders (UWTV & FSTV) while the Geosat grabbed the FSTV transponder. Again while the quality numbers were about the same the Geosat had more stability. FSTV popped in on the Geosat LNB right away whereas the Sadoun took 3-5 seconds to show a picture.

125W I did a detail scan of 12000-12200 only. Both LNB's missed 2 transponders. Both missed Montana PBS. Sadoun missed one of the SD feeds (12169 H 4444) while the Geosat missed a data transponder 12037. Once again the stability shined on the Geosat. One transponder that was real goofy was Oklahoma PBS. Latelly during the day the meter is all over the board between 20 and 60. The numbers shown on the chart are what showed the most. At night the numbers arew a more stable in the 70's

All and all I am very happy with the LNB. The fact I am using a 76cm does show some different results than other folks using a 90cm or 120cm dish. The Sadoun LNB does have a "bigger LNB head" to help reject adjacent interference so the GeosatPro I pushed into the LNB holder about 1/4 to 3/8" in towards the dish which did give the results I posted. While some numbers on the Geosat were 1 to 2 points less the fact that its a stable number makes up for it. I'd prefer a point less and stability versus a higher number and bouncing all around which doesnt give a true result. I can't wait to try this in the winter when stability is key. :)

Enclosed is the spreadsheet of the quality results. If it shows 2 numbers that is the Micro bouncing between them

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• part 1.jpg
    part 1.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 1,014
  • part 2.jpg
    part 2.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 1,017
  • LNB comparison.xls
    11.8 KB · Views: 246
Very nice review.

one other thing I learned with the review....I'm getting too old (or out of shape) to continue climbing on the roof constantly (or I need a bigger ladder) :)

Yeah that is why I'm glad I have room in the yard to put mine on poles.

Wow, Iceberg, this was what I was waiting for. You have a whole lot more experience on testing than I do, and I knew that although my review was done first, I didn't really know what to look for or how to write about it.

Your review sure makes mine look like I didn't know what I was talking about, but all in all, I am VERY impressed with my results.

As for you getting older, well, My birthday last week got me to the 69 year mark, and in the heat here and the rain, I managed (just barely) to get my review written.

Thank you for a GREAT review.

Photto

PS: and I just GOTTA renew my membership, money is awfully tight this week.

Great review Iceberg! I really like the details and overview on each satellite. I know how much work it is to document and present this information and appreciate the honest review!

Wow, Iceberg, this was what I was waiting for. You have a whole lot more experience on testing than I do, and I knew that although my review was done first, I didn't really know what to look for or how to write about it.

Your review sure makes mine look like I didn't know what I was talking about, but all in all, I am VERY impressed with my results.
You gave your thoughts on it and thats all that Brian is looking for. Honest reviews. I'd rather see a simple and effective review than what I've seen on some magazine reviews where its 4 pages of "fluff" ;)

As for you getting older, well, My birthday last week got me to the 69 year mark, and in the heat here and the rain, I managed (just barely) to get my review written.
If it wasnt nice yesterday and Saturday it probably would have taken me longer as its too hot on the roof :)

Thank you for a GREAT review.

:up

Great review Iceberg! I really like the details and overview on each satellite. I know how much work it is to document and present this information and appreciate the honest review!

no problem. I did notice on the 76cm dish if the LNB was all the way back the signals were lower by up to 5 points. That 3/8" closer made a big difference :)

I noticed that you're missing 11880H 30000SR on 103.0°W on your test results. Shouldn't you be receiving that too?

neither LNB picked it up even when the LNB was skewed properly
The issue is using a 76cm dish they are really hard (or nonexistent) to pick up. Folks have mentioned a 90cm gives it fits

Seems to be the same here. Everything has to be just spot on, or it is a not go on the 90cm.

I'm stuck with a 90CM for the Olympic coverage, and I cringe when I see a cloud in the sky ;) ...

11880 is unreliable as far as a lock, so I'm using the Mountain feed. I should have gone hunting for a 6 foot Prodelin.

I'm stuck with a 90CM for the Olympic coverage, and I cringe when I see a cloud in the sky ;) ...

11880 is unreliable as far as a lock, so I'm using the Mountain feed. I should have gone hunting for a 6 foot Prodelin.

You don't need a 6footer to pick up 11880H 30000SR, I have no problem locking that with a 1.2m dish here.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)