My growing dish farm, what is next C?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

delta_charlie

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 12, 2008
Hi all, check out my new and growing dish farm.

dishfarm2.jpg

The dish on the top left is on Hispasat and the one on the lower right is on G18. Love how they almost look like they are pointing and each other ;)

Ok so now that you guys have me addicted to FTA what is next, C?

I have been surveying my back yard, got lots of trees and very little room for a C band dish but it looks like I should be able to hit from about 30 w to maybe 70 w or so. NSS 806 looks very interesting. The beam hits both Europe and the Americans at the same time. Worth while?

Got to run, DC

those dishes kinda look like mine :)

left one is at Dish148 and right one is at Hispasat (9 elevation here in Minnesota for that)

Attachments

• 000_0152.jpg
    000_0152.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 240
Nss 806

Hi all, check out my new and growing dish farm.

dishfarm2.jpg

The dish on the top left is on Hispasat and the one on the lower right is on G18. Love how they almost look like they are pointing and each other ;)

Ok so now that you guys have me addicted to FTA what is next, C?

I have been surveying my back yard, got lots of trees and very little room for a C band dish but it looks like I should be able to hit from about 30 w to maybe 70 w or so. NSS 806 looks very interesting. The beam hits both Europe and the Americans at the same time. Worth while?

Got to run, DC

At least a 10 foot C band dish, norsat digital lnb and high enough in the air to get a good signal and miss the tree's and your in business.

You could motorized one of those.

Hi, I did get the motor with the first dish (the upper on the left) but I found the mast is not stiff enough to support the weight of the dish and motor and still hold vertical. So I gave up on the motor for now.

What I really need to do before I can use the motor is put up a new thicker and stiffer mast in a better location. I found a spot that I should be able to hit from about 15 W to about 150 W - quite a swing!

Think I will wait until the fall for cooler weather and less bugs before I will want to mess with it again.

Later, DC

At least a 10 foot C band dish, norsat digital lnb and high enough in the air to get a good signal and miss the tree's and your in business.

Hi, I want to hide the BUD and keep it low to the ground so it looks like I have two slots to work with. The east one is from about 30 w to 70w and the west would be from about 95 w to about 125 w or so. The dish would have to be mounted in two different spots to hit these slots.

Perhaps it is not worth the cost and effort to put up a BUD for these limited slots.

BTW - why does every one recommend a 10 foot dish. All the EIRP data that I have looked at for C-band for the satellites I'm interested in shows a much smaller dish would do. I'm thinking of a 6 foot.

Later, DC

"BTW - why does every one recommend a 10 foot dish. All the EIRP data that I have looked at for C-band for the satellites I'm interested in shows a much smaller dish would do. I'm thinking of a 6 foot." Maybe I misread the EIRP data, too, but I see smaller dishes being adequate on Ku band. Fact is, it just ain't so. On ku band , there are still signals that are marginal with a 90cm dish , and on C-band marginal ( or not obtainable) with a 6 foot dish. Especially with the DVB-s2 standard "taking flower" , the bigger the dish, the better ( more now , than before ) .

:)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts