my hd upgrade experiance so far.

hobojoe

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 8, 2006
so caif usa
:confused: :(:) well after 2 months of pondering the idea i called to upgrade to HD. instead of the vip622 i originally wanted I'm settling for a vip211. money was the problem. after being with dish for almost 10 years now i Owen every piece of equipment i have. and i have been completely clearer free of any contract for 9 years. the entire time having the everything package loaded. i read as much as possible here. and called tech support for updates. my plan is to get the 211 then sell my 2 301's on eBay and then use that money to get a 622 by then i hope the Price may fall just a little lower. while talking with the tech rep i got comfortable enough to let him know i was going to add a foreign channel so i could get the new and better 1000+ he even chose a french radio station for $1. he then asked about how i liked the distant networks and if i wanted to add the remaining networks to give me all four (LA/NY/Denver/chicago)plus my locals (San Diego). i said that would be fantastic! he explained all about the requirements and the $100 rebate form. and set me up for wed morning. now for some bad. i get a call back and am told by another person the install requires booth the dish 1000 and the super dish and there will be a $59.99 additional charge for the super dish. i said isn't the french radio station on 118.7? she said yes but we don't have any dish1000+ right now. so i say i would like to speak to your super he gets on-line and says OK well leave the appointment and see if they have one for you but its unlikely. now i am upset. i really was so hesitant to lease and get a new contract i just want to cancell the hole thing but I'll wait and see how this all goes. by the way even though i said i did not want to return a receiver they are sending a empty box in-case i change my mind. i ask are they still offering the $25 for returns he said no its now $10!!! i plan on seeing if they can contact my local installer to see if have any dish 1000+S. I'LL KEEP UPDATING AS THIS MESS CONTINUES.

Last edited:
hobojoe said:
:confused: :(:) well after 2 months of pondering the idea i called to upgrade to HD. instead of the vip622 i originally wanted I'm settling for a vip211. money was the problem. after being with dish for almost 10 years now i Owen every piece of equipment i have. and i have been completely clearer free of any contract for 9 years. the entire time having the everything package loaded. i read as much as possible here. and called tech support for updates. my plan is to get the 211 then sell my 2 301's on eBay and then use that money to get a 622 by then i hope the Price may fall just a little lower. while talking with the tech rep i got comfortable enough to let him know i was going to add a foreign channel so i could get the new and better 1000+ he even chose a french radio station for $1. he then asked about how i liked the distant networks and if i wanted to add the remaining networks to give me all four (LA/NY/Denver/chicago)plus my locals (San Diego). i said that would be fantastic! he explained all about the requirements and the $100 rebate form. and set me up for wed morning. now for some bad. i get a call back and am told by another person the install requires booth the dish 1000 and the super dish and there will be a $59.99 additional charge for the super dish. i said isn't the french radio station on 118.7? she said yes but we don't have any dish1000+ right now. so i say i would like to speak to your super he gets on-line and says OK well leave the appointment and see if they have one for you but its unlikely. now i am upset. i really was so hesitant to lease and get a new contract i just want to cancell the hole thing but I'll wait and see how this all goes. by the way even though i said i did not want to return a receiver they are sending a empty box in-case i change my mind. i ask are they still offering the $25 for returns he said no its now $10!!! i plan on seeing if they can contact my local installer to see if have any dish 1000+S. I'LL KEEP UPDATING AS THIS MESS CONTINUES.

WE have thew 500+ only right now....And very few of those..1000+ looks a ways off..It is possible that the DNS offices will get them first..At least thta was the case with the Super Dish....Be patient

:) it sounded like they were hitting the street but i guess not. I'm defiantly waiting for it and will accept nothing else. its half the reason to upgrade for me. my old 500 is falling apart. its 5+ years old i think. moving it around in a RV on a trypod the entire time. they are calling to find out if a local installer has one. i recommended they ship it but they said no way! but they are recommending 2 SW44! i will have 5 tuners and the hard part is getting all the Sat's i need 110/119/129/ 148 for the Pentagon channel (yes its that important to me i work for the USMC) and the new 118.7K for German channels and future use. any ideas of how to get all these other than using a dish1000+ and a dish300? you have to use a SW44 to start from the dish 1000+. they say a second SW44 will complete the install. any recommendations???

:mad: just got off the phone. they say the dish1000+ is not available anywere yet! and i need to pay them $69.99 to install the dish1000 and a superdish121 and since this is "an abnormal installation" a service call for $29.99 because i have the dhpp. on top of the $49.00 already paid for the VIP211 upgrade that's a leased receiver! then if i want the 118.7K i will pay full price plus a service call. there web site says i should get the superdish for free and the $100 back in $10/mo for foreign channels. just like the hd offer. I'm calling retention dept right now well see???:confused:

:confused: third call got me the advanced enginering dept where they forced the 118.7K onto the order. but they say you'll have to see when they come what he has on the truck! so now I'm at least waiting for the installers call the night before. well see????????????

hobojoe said:
but they are recommending 2 SW44! i will have 5 tuners and the hard part is getting all the Sat's i need 110/119/129/ 148 for the Pentagon channel (yes its that important to me i work for the USMC) and the new 118.7K for German channels and future use.
I hope you misunderstood, or maybe changed what they said, because it's incorrect. The SW44 is a legacy switch that feeds only 2 satellites to 4 tuners. Two SW44s can be installed in parallel to feed up to 8 tuners but that doesn't help you. The 1000+ dish's 118/119 dual band LNB is DishPro only so it has to be used with a DP switch. The only choice for 5 satellites is the DPP44 cascaded through a DP21 for each tuner. Even if you had a dual tuner receiver you would need 2 DPP44s because you can't use DP Plus switching through a DP switch. And then you have to split the outputs of one of the sats to feed 5 DP21 switches. Sounds expensive and messy. You are a prime candidate for the rumored DPP64 switch.

:) yes i did miss the proper name. i did mean the dpp44! and i would love a dpp64! in fact if they had a 10X10 i would pay some big bucks for it!!! it would help them to re-organize the entire sat fleet! but to understand you mean to use a dp21 on one leg coming into the dpp44 to add the 148 sat on a dish 300? or after the switch going to the receivers? sounds like 2-dpp44's will Handel any setup i could come up with. I'm going to drive this installer nuts the first thing he will see is my sat farm of 9 dishes. maybe hell just keep on driving thinking he just past a up-link center! lolololol on second thought i better hide them so he wont try taking a few home. i read that somewhere on another thread. in all seriousness i willput up a big fight. i own everything i have! and no one is taking a thing from me!

An xx21 switch (SW or DP) is always the second switch in a cascade. The output of a 2-, 3- or 4-sat switch (DPP44 in your case) goes into input 1, the output of the additional sat's LNB goes to input 2. You will need a DP21 for every tuner that needs to see the 5th sat.

:eureka o my god! now :eek: i understand, i think :confused: wow!!! that's looking like a $1000 in switches. 2-dpp44's and 6-dpp21's. dish will never give me all of them. and would you double the dpp21's again to get 6 sat's? they really have to get the new switches out asap! even a couple of these installs is a small fortune and a hell of a mess in cables. i was thinking that fish tank on the 61.5 was kind of neat but not that good! lol i must be crazy.:p

The DP21 is not a Plus switch, so it is not "DPP21." That is why dual tuner receivers require 2 lines with 2 DP21s in a cascade installation. I haven't heard of any 6-satellite solution. The current max is 5.

Question for installers: in post 6 I said, "you have to split the outputs of one of the sats to feed 5 DP21 switches." Could that be done with a DP34 (4 outs + trunk pass-thru) or will the receiver not like seeing a switch as the source for the DP21 input 2?

someone said the receivers have a 5 sat limit. I'm looking at a VIP622 very soon and want to prepare for it at the same time. sounds like I'm going to be compromising somewhere. maybe i could separate the SD from the hd receivers and use a separate dish. but then again that doesn't solve much. I'm getting a bald spot from scratching my head too much on this one. lol

well its the day! no calls yet from anyone. they are scheduled here from 8am-12noon and its almost 10am well see I'll post how it turns out.:rolleyes:

while talking with the tech rep i got comfortable enough to let him know i was going to add a foreign channel so i could get the new and better 1000+ he even chose a french radio station for $1.
That is also on 148 so they may use that instead of the D1000+ especially if they don’t have any
he then asked about how i liked the distant networks and if i wanted to add the remaining networks to give me all four (LA/NY/Denver/chicago)plus my locals (San Diego).
He’s smoking crack right there. Since you have locals, you CANNOT add the distants. Even if you qualified under the old rules, the best you could get was 2 of them, not all 4.

i get a call back and am told by another person the install requires booth the dish 1000 and the super dish and there will be a $59.99 additional charge for the super dish. i said isn't the french radio station on 118.7? she said yes but we don't have any dish1000+ right now. so i say i would like to speak to your super he gets on-line and says OK well leave the appointment and see if they have one for you but its unlikely.
Again, its on 148 also so the tech will probably add a separate dish if they don’t have a D1000+

i will have 5 tuners and the hard part is getting all the Sat's i need 110/119/129/ 148 for the Pentagon channel (yes its that important to me i work for the USMC)
Then you don’t need 118.7 because the RFI is on 148 also. So that’s really all you should be set up with. No need to keep having the appointment postponed. 4 satellites and you’re all set

just got off the phone. they say the dish1000+ is not available anywere yet! and i need to pay them $69.99 to install the dish1000 and a superdish121 and since this is "an abnormal installation" a service call for $29.99 because i have the dhpp.
Again, that international that you are trying to add just to get a D1000+ is also on 148 so there would be a D1000 and a wing dish for 148

but you must remember I'm in a RV on a try-pod. so I'm trying my best to be on one to two dish's. and i want to be prepared with the new 118.7K. i as of yet not had any delays to install. you must be remembering someone else. and whats wrong with the dish1000+ with a dish300? it gives me more options now and later. i do travel a lot so a particular location isn't the problem eather. and yes i do have all four dns and my locals plus the super stations! he asked me if i wanted them, i said yes and walla! right or wrong they will be gone this fall with the end of the court case. that's just my opinion.

:mad: now fast forward to the install today. i just received the phone call stating they do not Cary the dish 1000+ at all for San Diego. i explained that i put notes on the order to call to verify the order was good and in stock prior to coming out. i asked why are you just calling me now 15min after the apt. there was no reply. i was given a phone number and was informed i need to speak to the rfm (regional field manager). i called him and explained I'm in a traveling RV and wanted the dish 1000+ and asked why they did not call me. the only reply was we don't Cary it in San Diego but 75miles north in orange county does. hes going to call them and see about getting one. he agreed with me for my situation the dish1000+ and a dish300 would be best. I'm waiting his call back. mean while are there any suggestions? i did my best to ensure the order was correct by calling dish many times. i waited all morning in anticipation eager to get hd!:mad: :(

but you must remember I'm in a RV on a try-pod. so I'm trying my best to be on one to two dish's.
Yet you have 9 dishes? And a Dish1000 & Dish300 is 2 dishes : )

and i want to be prepared with the new 118.7K.
other than a few International channels and HD for 4 towns, there is no need for 118.7

i as of yet not had any delays to install. you must be remembering someone else.
you have had to make a few calls and the tech didn’t have one today. So there’s a delay ;)

and whats wrong with the dish1000+ with a dish300?
There is nothing wrong with it but if I wanted HD now I would have taken the D1000 and a Dish300. Since the Int’l you need is on 148 also, there is no need for 118.7

it gives me more options now and later. i do travel a lot so a particular location isn't the problem eather.
huh?

and yes i do have all four dns and my locals plus the super stations! he asked me if i wanted them, i said yes and walla! right or wrong they will be gone this fall with the end of the court case.
Seems odd that he was able to add all 4. Since you have a RV registration on file (i assume) you can get 2 distants.

yes i have a dish farm when I'm going to be setup for a couple weeks but in general its nice to throw out a single dish for a night then pick up and move on. i have the NY package and la package the Denver is alacart and so is chicago and locals are just locals. the dish 1000+ has everything the dish1000 has right then it adds the 118.7. so if something does no> when 129 fails what are they going to do? something could go onto 118.7 so i will already have it. and not have to get another dish for a while.

the dish 1000+ has everything the dish1000 has right then it adds the 118.7. so if something does no> when 129 fails what are they going to do?
Dish is going to be replacing the satellite at 129 soon. 118.7 will be used mainly for some international (at least that is what they have said) and a few HD LIL locations (Detroit, Indy, St Louis are ones I know off the top of my head).

something could go onto 118.7 so i will already have it. and not have to get another dish for a while.
but if you don’t need it now (and it sounds like you want HD now), the dish 1000 and a dish 300 for 148 (Pentagon & Int’l channel) would be sufficient without having to go through the pain of reschedules and wasting ½ your day : )

your HD locals (San Diego) are on 110

Last edited:
:mad: eather way they have already cancelled and rescheduled for Aug 21st. they will see if they can get the dish1000+ for me. i asked what can be done mean while. they said nothing! i cannot get the receiver, i cannot install it, they wont install the dish1000 then replace it with the dish1000+, and they say the foreign are all going to 118.7 and will not be mirrored on any other sat so i would need it. they are totally unaware of the 129's problems. yea right!!!! here's my problem they did not even attempt to come out and install another dish they did not even call tell after the appointment was over! and they have very Little no nothing to offer me i barley got a apology. its just not right. i think the installer never looked at the work order until it was his next stop then he called dispatch to get out of even tying !:mad:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)